Attaching a purchased domain name to my personal server

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matts1
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Attaching a purchased domain name to my personal server Reply with quote

I know this has been gone over many times but I am having trouble understanding past posts as they dont pertain fully to me. I basically, have bought a domain name from godaddy.com and want to point it to my personal webserver. I attempted to simply put in my IP address as the nameservers on godaddys domain administration page, but received an error saying invalid TLD. I have my firewall disabled. I am running windows2000 professional, not windows server. I am assuming I have no DNS. I am not in a position to upgrade windows right now. Is there a DNS program I can download and run along with the server?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Matt
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really do *not* want to get into trying to run your own DNS as well as the server. I'd suggest doing what most people do and using ZoneEdit.com to set up your DNS - it's free and easy.
matts1
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i might have found an easy fix. godaddy has an option to point the domain to whatever website i want. so i set it up to point to my IP. we'll see if it works when it propagates in 24 hours, i'll let you know. thanks for the help
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a static IP, that should do the trick - if you have a dynamic IP, you'll be wanting something that supports dynamic updates like ZoneEdit + their client software.
Sophia
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that dyndns is a much better deal.
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Silly me! With ZoneEdit costing $0 to control your DNS and DynDNS charging $24, for some reason I thought ZoneEdit was a better deal. I should really learn some economics eh?
Sophia
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, maybe you should re-learn economics, and really try and attempt to understand the concept of "You Get What You Pay For."
Sophia
-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
woody03
-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if you like wasting your money.. go ahead. but runing your own server is meant to save you money. so it would be alot easyer to buy hosting from a company that gives you a domain free.

in my experience theres nothing wrong with the zoneedit service, updates fast when your ip changes. What more could you ask for?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't see what any of you are talking about, none of the companies offer free domains. ie. www.youname.com.
woody03
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sophia wrote:
I really don't see what any of you are talking about, none of the companies offer free domains. ie. www.youname.com.

urm......most hosting companies offer a free domain when you buy for a year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. We know domain names aren't free
2. We got Abyss over a free hosting service because Abyss is way better and it's free
3. We want to save money
4. Zoneedit > dyndns

Enough said.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
billdo
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glyde51 wrote:
1. We know domain names aren't free
2. We got Abyss over a free hosting service because Abyss is way better and it's free
3. We want to save money
4. Zoneedit > dyndns

Enough said.

Uhm, I am going to have to agree with Sophia on this one and go out on a limb and say you get what you pay for. I USED to use zoneedit. I got rid of the service when it expired after a year. It took them nearly a month to register my personal domain. I actually had to do it twice because the first one I attempted to register was not registered at the time, but they waited for 3 weeks before they even attempted to register it, and it was already taken, so then I had to come up with a new domain name. It took them a month to register it this time but luckily, nobody registered before they did. You can see the final registration date by looking it up in the arin database. There service updated slowly, and I was running a Road Runner account at the time and the IP would change about once every 2 months, and they still couldn't keep up. I then switched to DYNDNS and have had 0 problems so far.
The way I see it, ZONEEDIT sucks.

Example #1
They can't even right web pages right, why would I want to use a redirecting service when they can't even write a web page correctly?
IE.
http://www.zoneedit.com/doc/dynamic.html?
scroll down to the bottom where it says "More info/etc can be found here."
Where does it take you, but to a root.

Example #2
Today is the 28th of December, they still have yet to update their network status page from 21 December. DYNDNS updates everyday. So if their service goes down, you can tell if it is you or it is them, you don't have to wait 7 days to find out what is going on.

Example #3
I have more than 4 computers in my house and all go through a Cisco router. D-Link and Cisco only supports No-ip and DYNDNS. Maybe they now more than I do.
DYNDNS works with all Cisco and D-Link routers.
Zoneedit, does not.

So DYNDNS > Zoneedit

You get what you pay for, SERVICE.
GagnierA
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think no-ip is far more superior than both of the services described above, and it's relatively inexpensive if you prefer to pay them for their premium services (registered domain name, etc)....although, for most people and their purpses, the free service is more than good enough. Just click the link below, and feel free to give them a shot if you haven't heard of them....it's free, so I won't hurt :)

Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ScrappyDog
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: No-IP Reply with quote

From what I can determine, and I'm completely new to this whole thing, but I have done alot of research, the FREE no-IP service is only for using their domain (ie yourdomain.noip.com). It will not work for yourowndomain.com for example.

Just my two cents.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
GagnierA
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, you're a little off with your research my friend :) Apart from the free service (from which you get a choice of different sub-domain choices) they also offer domain registration, domain transfer, managed mail services, managed DNS services, monitoring services, as well as a bunch of other features and useful things. Maybe check again ;)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ScrappyDog
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: FREE Reply with quote

Tbank, but all of those services are subsription services from what I understand. I'm only talking about FREE services.

But yes, the do offer all of that stuff too.

:)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
GagnierA
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, alot of the ones I mentioned are paid...but it was only to show you that they offer alot more than what you had lead me to think that you believed. Although their free DNS and IP masking stuff has always been free and will always be free...they have good features with those free services as well, but unless you know what they mean and do they would have no purpose for you.
senshi
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet is to invest in a complete package, by the sounds of it you have got a domain name and no DNS records, something which can be a bit of a headache but if you email godaddy.com where you bought the name from, they will tell you how or whatelse you need, that is afterall what you paid for, service, so try getting some out of them.

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/support.asp?se=%2B&sourceStr=ffohwjlfodkchhxhgdyeseoevdgjmijetgaarjfcxjkftdmaqencrfacfcabrbve&ci=412
angelsan
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can open an account with any of the free dns services and then point your domain to that address... for example, I use dynu.com... exellent service so far for... my address from them is "name.dynu.com" I then have Godaddy.com point my domain "domain.com" to "http://name.dyns.com" It works great!

I use more than one domain, so I set up my web pages under:

htdocs/domain1
htdocs/domain2
htdocs/domain3
htdocs/domain4.

Then I have godaddy.com point my domains as follows:

domain1.com to name.dyns.com/domain1
domain2.com to name.dyns.com/domain2
domain3.com to name.dyns.com/domain3
domain4.com to name.dyns.com/domain4

If you run your server in a port other than 80, lets say 2222 then you can include it in the url:

domain1.com to name.dyns.com:2222/domain1
domain2.com to name.dyns.com:2222/domain2
domain3.com to name.dyns.com:2222/domain3
domain4.com to name.dyns.com:2222/domain4

However, "htttp://domain.com:2222" or "htttp://domain.com/page1" will not work.

Easy solution to the problem. To complete everything, I mask the domains. This set up works with dynu.com and godaddy.com, so I imagine it works with the others services.

Angel
angelsan
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note the corrections! It is dynu.com and not dyns.com

You can open an account with any of the free dns services and then point your domain to that address... for example, I use dynu.com... exellent free service so far... my address from them is "name.dynu.com" I then have Godaddy.com point my domain "domain.com" to "http://name.dynu.com" It works great!

I use more than one domain, so I set up my web pages under:

htdocs/domain1
htdocs/domain2
htdocs/domain3
htdocs/domain4.

Then I have godaddy.com point my domains as follows:

domain1.com to name.dynu.com/domain1
domain2.com to name.dynu.com/domain2
domain3.com to name.dynu.com/domain3
domain4.com to name.dynu.com/domain4

If you run your server in a port other than 80, lets say 2222 then you can include it in the url:

domain1.com to name.dynu.com:2222/domain1
domain2.com to name.dynu.com:2222/domain2
domain3.com to name.dynu.com:2222/domain3
domain4.com to name.dynu.com:2222/domain4

However, "htttp://domain.com:2222" or "htttp://domain.com/page1" will not work.

Easy solution to the problem. To complete everything, I mask the domains. This set up works with dynu.com and godaddy.com, so I imagine it works with the others services.

Angel
senshi
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVERYONE is MISSING THE POINT...

HE BOUGHT IT FROM GODADDY.... They have a service department, far simpler if he goes straight to the people he/she bought it of and pester them rather than allot of people offering up alternatives seeing as the person has already PURCHASED the domain.

Dont people read anymore?
GagnierA
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you read? I was merely offering up the possibility that he could transfer his domain to a better service provider....besides, this topic is older than hell now, who cares?
senshi
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine, but they state that they purchased it, why would anyone in their right minds want to get half a service out of a company.

I had to point that fact out because others were jumping in on the waggon but it still defies logic when it clearly states.

Quote:

... I basically, have bought a domain name from godaddy.com and ...

So godaddy.com are the people matts1 should be dealing with, hence my reply to do so.
GagnierA
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough....but the reason why I had mentioned the possibility of being able to transfer his domain was for the simple fact that if he wasn't satisfied with their service, that not all was lost. :)
senshi
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Point exactly.
ScrappyDog
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: I worked it out Reply with quote

Ok, I have had my own server up and running now for two weeks, with my own personal domain name registered... success! Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Would anyone like me to outline my set-up? I would be happy to outline the way I did it, although one thing I got from this thread is that there are so many different options and configurations, it's really about finding out what works for you.

Now all I need is a free email server that supports user sign-up and unlimited users. Any suggestions?
matts1
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: followup Reply with quote

I got a PM asking for a followup so here's what I ended up doing:

files are put on my local drive at 68.xx.xx.xx

registered item from godaddy

went to zonededit.com, made a free account, attached the domain to the IP 68.xx.xx.xx with this service

and voila. I didn't use godaddys "pointer" method because that only works for the first page and no others. hope this helps.
senshi
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Matt, do you have an IP address that changes? If you do, try to track down a program that was offered at onetime on the AnalogX.com site, it was a DHCP fixer which FIXED! yourIP address in the DHCP stack, so you could if you find it force your IP address to be static.

You ISP should not complain too much because your only doing something that anyone can do manually, only your using a program to do the leg work.
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

senshi wrote:
Hi

Matt, do you have an IP address that changes? If you do, try to track down a program that was offered at onetime on the AnalogX.com site, it was a DHCP fixer which FIXED! yourIP address in the DHCP stack, so you could if you find it force your IP address to be static.

You ISP should not complain too much because your only doing something that anyone can do manually, only your using a program to do the leg work.

Sorry, but there is no way that is correct/possible. If you could give yourself a static IP on your ISP's network simply by fixing something on your own PC, ISPs wouldn't be able to charge £/month for the service of providing one. The DHCP mechanism simply doesn't like that...

If you chose to force a static IP on your ISPs dynamic network, eventually, the IP you've chosen as static would be allocated by the ISPs DHCP servers to another machine, an IP clash would occur and one or both machines would cease to access the internet.
ScrappyDog
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

senshi wrote:
Hi

it was a DHCP fixer which FIXED! yourIP address in the DHCP stack, so you could if you find it force your IP address to be static.

... only your using a program to do the leg work.

I wonder if you mean a little program you can download that will update redirection service like no-IP or dynsExit of your new IP? (BTW please let there is no debate about which is better, it's personal choice).

That is what I am using to get around the dynamic IP problem.
wspollack
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: My Direct Update post may be useful to you>>> Reply with quote

See topic:

http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6177

Regards,

Bill
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
senshi
-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymoose wrote:
senshi wrote:
Hi

Sorry, but there is no way that is correct/possible. If you could give yourself a static IP on your ISP's network simply by fixing something on your own PC, ISPs wouldn't be able to charge £/month for the service of providing one. The DHCP mechanism simply doesn't like that...

If you chose to force a static IP on your ISPs dynamic network, eventually, the IP you've chosen as static would be allocated by the ISPs DHCP servers to another machine, an IP clash would occur and one or both machines would cease to access the internet.

I'll dig up the tool andd you can try it yourself because it does and I did and my IP address was static for 9 Months until NTL forced a network change, I used the tool again and the IPaddress I had for months until I forced a change by unfixing it and requesting a new IP address, which I can do.
senshi
-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, here you go.

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/dhcpfix.htm

This is just one of about 599,000 references to DHCP+fix in the www.google.com search engine.
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame you didn't read what those references said. This has nothing to do with locking your IP address in relation to an ISP who only provides you with a dynamic address and everything to do with a security fix for a problem with the TCP/IP stack in Windows...

All the "DHCP Fix" from AnalogX does is fix IRDP in the Windows registry.

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/581/

You can find the original l0pht advisory mentioned in the AnalogX page here :

http://www.atstake.com/research/advisories/1999/rdp.txt

Bit extreme having an exe to tweak 1 registry setting but maybe that's just me. ..
senshi
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one example of nearly 600 Thousand results of utils and tools to fix your IP address in the ISP DHCP server stack.

Your assigned IP address can be fixed in the DHCP server, it is as simple as that, we were taught how to do it for a LAN set up in Network Administration and why it is a good thing to make certain services static and the rest contend for services on that LAN.

The fact that you can do this locally on a LAN is by no means unusual and likewise for doing it remotely, the AnalogX program takes all the work out of doing all the remote stuff at the click of a single button.

What people have to do is get out of their tiny minds that anything that is discussed in relation to DHCP is nothing to do with their local machine settings, this lies in the domain of the ISP and their set up.

Theirs no big deal about it and you have to remember that Dynamic IP addresses are NOT just Dialup, many Cable and ADSL services also use dynamic IP addressing.
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, that has nothing to do with fixing your IP on the ISP's DNS server. The AnalogX program disables a particular part of the DHCP protocol which makes it easier for a remote user to trick your machine into sending information to them.

If you knew anything about the DHCP process at all you would understand why it is not possible for the client to force their IP on the server. Yes, an IP can be fixed within a DHCP scope but this is done server side, not by any magic "dhcp fix" from the client. Feel free to provide a link to any one of those 590000 results that actually says "Here is how to override what your ISP has decided to do with your IP".
goose
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bah humbug.

hey why not just buy the domain name you want ...use it and do the rest ya self ....if you are that way inclined!

the other services like zoneedit and no-ip.com and dyndns.org are only the middlemen! for dynamic ips that people may have....or static for that matter....

i say choose your own poison!

mawuahahaha :)
angelsan
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with anonnymoose. There is no way for you to force the server to give you the ip you want. Now I have had the same ip number for over 9 months at one time, but that was becasue my cable modem was on and connected that long without shutting down. That way the server renews my lease every time it expires, so there was not any change of IP number. But that has nothing to do with my requests, just the way DHCP behaves. Solving the dynamic IP problem is easy and there are several solutions that have been shown on this thread. I use one I described above and works very well. I recommend that people try the services of Dynu.com. Oustanding free services for Dynamic DNS. I have tried others and I like them the best. By the way, I have nothing to do with Dynu.com. Just a happy free user. And I think they do not have a limit on the number of free domains you can get from them.

Angel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: