GreyMatter Installation Tutorial

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 6:08 pm    Post subject: GreyMatter Installation Tutorial Reply with quote

***THIS IS WHAT I DID. YOU MAY WISH TO CHANGE SOME OF THESE SETTINGS TO SUIT YOUR OWN SETUP***

1. Before you begin - TURN ON THE SERVER!
2. Browse to this site: http://www.noahgrey.com/greysoft/
and DOWNLOAD these 2 files from the front page

"Greymatter 1.21d (117k ZIP)" - the program
"Icon Collection (172k ZIP)" - GreyMatter Linking Images (*optional)

3. Unzip the Greymatter Installation zip file to your DESKTOP.
4. Read the "README.txt" file and the "Install.html" files.
5. Edit these 4 files: "gm.pl", "gm-comments.pl", "gm-karma.pl", and "gm-upload.pl" so the top line in all 4 files says:

#!C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe

***(This SHOULD BE the path to Perl on your PC if you accepted the default settings during the Perl installation . If you installed Perl somewhere else, then change the path accordingly.)

6. Create 3 FOLDERS (directories):

a. Place a folder called "blog" in your "cgi-bin"
b. Place a folder called "blog" in your "htdocs" folder
c. Place a folder called "archives" in your "htdocs/blog" folder

7. Copy all of the files ending in ".pl" into the "blog" folder that you created inside the cgi-bin.
8. Rename the "index.htm" file to "index.php", and copy it to the "blog" folder that you created inside the "htdocs" folder
9. Copy "gm-icon.gif" to the "blog" folder that you created inside the "htdocs" folder
10. Start IE and browse to:

"http://yourdomain.com/cgi-bin/blog/gm.pl "

11. Log in as "Alice" with the password "wonderland" (do NOT save a cookie for this password!!!)
, then fill in these settings on the CONFIGURATION screen:

Path Configuration:

Local Log Path: C:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server\htdocs\blog
Local Entries/Archives Path: C:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server\htdocs\blog\archives
Local CGI Path: . (just a period)

Website Log Path: http://yourdomain.com/blog
Website Entries Path: http://yourdomain.com/blog/archives
Website CGI Path: http://yourdomain.com/cgi-bin/blog

Index filename: index.php
.suffix to entry files: php
.suffix to log archives: php

Days to keep on main index: 7
Generate pages for individual entries? Yes
Keep archive master index? Yes
Keep monthly/weekly log archives? Yes
Keep main index and archive log
indexes concurrent with each other? Yes
Archive by month or week? Weekly

Email Options:

I left the first 2 lines blank
Send e-mail notifications for: Neither

*** (There's no mail server setup yet on my PC. If yours is setup - add the correct info above)

Karma & Comments Options:

Allow karma voting and/or comment posting? Comments Only
Order of comments on entry pages: Ascending
Can post comments and vote on karma in archives? No
Karma voting on by default? No
Comment posting on by default? Yes
HTML allowed in comments? No HTML Allowed (so hackers can't insert harmful code!)
Auto-link URLs in comments? Yes
Strip new lines from comments? No
Allow multiple karma votes from same IP? No
Mention it in the control panel log when
comments and karma votes are added? Yes

Date & Time Options:

Server Offset Time: 0
Your Time Zone: EST

File Uploading Options:

Allowed File Types: jpg;gif;zip
Maximum Filesize Allowed: 5000 KB

Censoring Options:

Enable censoring? Neither (I will change this later when I find a good list of cuss words)
Censor List: (I didn't put anything here yet. I'll put the cuss words I want to censor later)

Connect Other Files (Advanced Users Only):

Filename List: (I didn't put anything here yet)
Update them when adding entries? No (I'll change it to YES when I put filenames in the box)

Miscellaneous Options:

Enable cookies? Yes
Keep control panel log? Yes
Allow "easy formatting"? Both
Default entry list view: Current entries (7 days)
Order of list links: Ascending
Log entry list variable number: 10
Link to entries in {{logentrylist comments}} only if comments are active? Yes
Entries to link to in {{calendar}}: Always link to entry for that calendar day
"Automatically rebuild" selected by default? Yes

12. Click on SAVE CONFIGURATION first, then go back into CONFIGURATION, and run DIAGNOSTICS AND REPAIR. If you've followed the above instructions, you should have a successful install!!!

13. When you get the on-screen message that Greymatter was successfully installed, go back to the MAIN MENU, and click on EDIT AUTHORS. Create a new author for yourself with a password, then go back to the MAIN MENU, and click on RE-LOGIN.

14. You'll be automatically logged out. Then you must log back in with your new USERNAME and PASSWORD (save a COOKIE for this password).

15. You MUST go back to EDIT AUTHORS, and delete author ALICE for security reasons.

16. Go back to the MAIN MENU, and click on ADD AN ENTRY.

17. Add an entry to your weblog, then go back to the MAIN MENU, and click on VISIT YOUR SITE.

18. Your GreyMatter blog will pop up in a new window, complete with your new entry!!!

19. Use the Greymatter Manual ("manual.html") included in the zip to figure out how to create templates and perform other customizations to your blog.

20. Go to the GreyMatter site to check for updates, and to GM Hacks to check for MODS to the GreyMatter software. (Be sure to download the alternate GM logos or create your own - if you'd prefer, and link back to the GreyMatter site!). The GreyMatter Forum is the BEST place to ask questions and get help for this program! Please go there, and SEARCH first before you ask questions! If you aren't any good at HTML or CSS or making layouts/graphics, go to the GM Templates site to snatch a free template to change the look of your blog.

GreyMatter main site: http://noahgrey.com/greysoft/
GM Hacks: http://www.foshdawg.net/gm/mods/
GreyMatter Forum: http://foshdawg.net/forums/index.php
GM Templates: http://foshdawg.net/gm/templates/

THAT'S ALL FOLKS!!! :D

* This post was edited/updated on Sat, March 15th, 2003 *

Last edited by DLashley on Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:03 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: GreyMatter Installation Tutorial for Abyss X1 Reply with quote

Thank you for your contribution :D
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: GreyMatter Installation Tutorial for Abyss X1 Reply with quote

aprelium wrote:

You're more than welcome, Aprelium! :)

I've tried a bunch of others, but IMHO, Abyss is the best personal web server out there! It's the least buggy of all the programs I've tried, and it really has some great security features built into it that make me feel pretty safe using it. I didn't feel that way with the other programs. Well done!!!
-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: GreyMatter Installation Tutorial for Abyss X1 Reply with quote

DLashley wrote:
aprelium wrote:

You're more than welcome, Aprelium! :)

I've tried a bunch of others, but IMHO, Abyss is the best personal web server out there! It's the least buggy of all the programs I've tried, and it really has some great security features built into it that make me feel pretty safe using it. I didn't feel that way with the other programs. Well done!!!

That's good to read such a testimonial. We are doing our best to improve Abyss Web Server and your help is welcome (especially your suggestions, bug reports, writing in the forum, talking about the software to your peers, etc.)
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Just edited the above tutorial Reply with quote

Hi,

Can someone move this to the TUTORIALS forum for me? Thanks! :-)
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this topic is made sticky you can do one of two things. One, create a link to it from within the tutorials forum... or two, Simply make a copy of it into the tutorials forum... I also believe since you've started it you can also delete it.

Worst comes to worst don't worry much about making a copy and posting it in the tutorials section. Good tutorial, Good luck :)
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't "unsticky" it or delete it, so I'll copy it over to the Tutorials forum manually.

-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, no problem, get busy and good luck, See you on the darkside :)
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The darkside? Hey, I knew you looked familiar! :wink:

Ok, it's a done deal. I have one for Movable Type (in my head), but it's really involved, so I'm working up the nerves to tackle it. I'm feeling so lazy today. I don't want to do much of anything at all, and it's a great feeling. 8)
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I usually jump at the chance to work on something positive. Perhaps I can help you. You can reach me at any of my IM handles though through MSN is most likely what you can catch me on.

Its sure nice to meet positive people :)
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vbgunz wrote:
Hey I usually jump at the chance to work on something positive. Perhaps I can help you. You can reach me at any of my IM handles though through MSN is most likely what you can catch me on.

Its sure nice to meet positive people :)

Thanks for the offer. I have it installed and modded already, but I'm just too lazy to write all the steps down. :lol:

I could do a "lite" version, but folks using that tute would have to know how use PPM in DOS in order to download and install the necessary Perl modules (plus Image Magick needs to be installed and configured) that make Movable Type work on Windows, and they also have the option of using Berkeley DB or MySQL for archives - which is whole nother tute all by itself.

The latest stable version has a bunch of new features, but it's a b***h to install. :wink:
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time, grab an axe and hit me in the head... Wow, You mentioned ImageMagick and boy did that give me a problem one time on my Windows machine... I fell back to using php GD native support instead...

I can understand about not knowing where to start and sheer lazyness sometimes but since you've done it, you can do it again. I am sure I'll benefit from it as I would really want to check out your ImageMagick Installation step.

BTW, What is Movable Type? Is it a Gallery or something like that? I haven't really the chance to find out yet. Can I find it at phpresourceindex.com? I'll look into it... Till then buddy good luck and just throw up the bat signal if you need me :)
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Movable Type is a journal/blog software program (like GreyMatter or Blogger), but it's a bit more sophisticated, and has more features.

You can use it just like PHP-Nuke, depending on how you set it up, or you can use it as a Photo Gallery. It's pretty versatile.

Image Magick is not a necessity for it to work. It will work fine without it. Image Magick gives Movable Type the ability to auto-create clickable thumbnails out of any images you upload to your server thru MT's interface.
-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Help with imagemagick Reply with quote

Movable type will not recongize this, and how do or if I have to configure image magick to work correctly
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
kaisnake
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I run diagnostics it gives me the error "Can't read C:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server\htdocs\blog/index.php. Make sure the log path is correctly configured, the index filename is correctly specified under Configuration, and that this file is CHMODed to 666." How am I supposed to chmod files on abyss? I had perl downloaded and it was giving me this error than i downloaded php also and its still doing it. Any help please? Email to elijah_bravo@hotmail.com if it isnt too much trouble, or just post :)
Thank you,
Elijah.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> FastCGI/CGI All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: