Abyss and Caching

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Abyss and Caching Reply with quote

Hello Aprelium,

Does Abyss work with any cache headers, or can we configure the addition of such?

ETag, Expires, If-None-Match, If-Modified-Since, and so on?

I'm working on adding this functionality into my scripts since it doesn't appear Abyss works with them, would be nice to know for sure.

Thanks,
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Abyss and Caching Reply with quote

Toasty,

Abyss Web Server supports and negociates with browsers default static file service based.

It uses for that Date, Last-Modified to report the file state and responds to the following headers:

Code:
If-range
If-modified-since
If-unmodified-since

Negociation is automatic for static files and can be disabled (totally or partially) using http://www.aprelium.com/data/doc/2/abyssws-win-doc-html/hosts-configuration.html#HOSTS-GENERAL-ADVANCED-DISABLEIFMODIFIED. No negociation is perofmed for scripts to which headers are forwarded. It's up to these scripts to generate the right Expires/Date/Last-modified headers and to repond to If-* headers correctly.

Expires support has been added in 2.9 (which will be released soon.) Etags support will follow later.
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Aprelium.

When you do add E-Tag support, SHA1() wouldn't be a terrible idea for remote chance of collisions, I use MD5 in some of my scripts to automatically help with handling caching. I know older server software used CRC32.

I haven't seen an announcement for 2.9, and idea what features it may have?
-

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toasty wrote:
When you do add E-Tag support, SHA1() wouldn't be a terrible idea for remote chance of collisions, I use MD5 in some of my scripts to automatically help with handling caching. I know older server software used CRC32.

Using hashs in E-Tags is not usually a good idea since their computation is costly and takes time on large files.

We can of course store them in a temporary location but then the server has to maintain a database like storage for these and such a solution could also become a bottleneck.

There are cheaper ways to consider for E-Tags. But we may also offer hashs while warning users to use them only in specific situations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: