Why is your site not served with abyss?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mnet:Web_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:25 pm    Post subject: Why is your site not served with abyss? Reply with quote

Just out of question I visited netcraft and checked your website and I found it was not hosted by abyss.

Why is this, surly this would be a fine way of promoting your web server?

just in case anyone is interested here's the information.

Code:

Linux  Apache/1.3.20 Sun Cobalt (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.4 OpenSSL/0.9.6b PHP/4.1.2 mod_auth_pam_external/0.1 FrontPage/4.0.4.3 mod_perl/1.25  10-Apr-2002  217.174.192.131   Agence des Medias Numeriques   
Linux  Apache/1.3.12 Cobalt (Unix) mod_ssl/2.6.4 OpenSSL/0.9.5a PHP/4.0.6 mod_auth_pam/1.0a FrontPage/4.0.4.3 mod_perl/1.24 
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Why is your site not served with abyss? Reply with quote

Mnet:Web_ wrote:
Just out of question I visited netcraft and checked your website and I found it was not hosted by abyss.

For many technical reasons (not related to Abyss Web Server), we did the choice of hosting our web site using an external company. This is mainly to guarantee a good bandwidth and an excellent uptime of the web site. Our decision was also driven by some financial considerations.
feamsr00
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh yes, routing a T3 line connected to a Euro-US backbone to your room/home/office and keeping it up just for a web site isnt exactly "economical"...
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
EvaStar
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

economical but Highly reliable, but the T3 line is native to North America
E3 is native to Europe....
T3 has a max speed of about 45 meg a second as the E3 connection is
arounf 55 megs a second...
to very simaliar technologies but the only reason their faster is the Voltage
difference (120v North America around 220v in Europe)....
Back to top View user's profile Send private message

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Why is your site not served with abyss? Reply with quote

aprelium wrote:
Mnet:Web_ wrote:

For many technical reasons (not related to Abyss Web Server), we did the choice of hosting our web site using an external company. This is mainly to guarantee a good bandwidth and an excellent uptime of the web site. Our decision was also driven by some financial considerations.

Aprelium, really. Why don't you host your site with your own software? Or, why doesn't this "EXTERNAL" company use your softare? You said it was mainly to guarantee a good bandwidth and exellent uptime of your website. Is this because you yourself don't believe that your software is able to handle this type of stress. And, it would be easier and cheaper to host yourself using your own computer than paying another web hosting company. Doesn't make sence to me. Why should other people trust in your software when even your company doesnt? :roll: Sounds kinda fishy to me.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is your site not served with abyss? Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

Aprelium, really. Why don't you host your site with your own software? Or, why doesn't this "EXTERNAL" company use your softare? You said it was mainly to guarantee a good bandwidth and exellent uptime of your website. Is this because you yourself don't believe that your software is able to handle this type of stress. And, it would be easier and cheaper to host yourself using your own computer than paying another web hosting company. Doesn't make sence to me. Why should other people trust in your software when even your company doesnt? :roll: Sounds kinda fishy to me.

The main reason is financial. Since the software is free, we don't have enough money to have a T1 or a T3 line and to host it on our computers. We trust Abyss Web Server but this is not the point with hosting our web site. And you, will trust it because it runs OK for you (facts) or are you going to trust it because we host our site with it (business propaganda)?
nwar
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: What about DSL Reply with quote

Have you ever thought about DSL, that can be more feasible than T1 and certainly less expensive that paying someone to host your site.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
feamsr00
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Why is your site not served with abyss? Reply with quote

humm...
People, Aprelium is a COMPANY. They are getting Doamin/Hosting services from Amen.fr (translated to english). They needed a place to send this great program to the world. Trying to get this seemingly large company to put AWS on all thier linux and unix boxes and forceing all thier current customers to switch configurations is NOT good business practices. As for hosting on DSL, with as much traffic as aprelium gets, the ISP would be sure to notice. Why is this a bad thing? Ever read the TOS (Terms Of Service)?

Comcast Acceptable Use Policy, (Network, Bandwidth, Data Storage and Other Limitations) wrote:
You may not run a server in connection with the Service, nor may you provide network services to others via the Service unless you are subject to a Service plan that permits otherwise. Examples of prohibited uses include, but are not limited to, running servers for mail, http, ftp, irc, wifi, and dhcp, and multi-user interactive forums.

AT&T Worldnet® High Speed Service Agreement(7.2.2) wrote:
You may not use your AT&T Worldnet High Speed Service to host a dedicated Internet server site.

Earthlink DSL TOS falls under a "catch all" policy
EarthLink™ Acceptable Use Policy(2n) wrote:
Long Connections and Multiple Logins.
Using a personal account for high volume or commercial use is prohibited. The Services are intended for periodic, active use of email, newsgroups, file transfers, Internet chat, games, and browsing the World Wide Web.

blueyonder hi speed internet and Dial Up Standard terms and conditions(E:25) wrote:
You are responsible for the use of the Services. You must not use the Services or knowingly or otherwise allow any other person to use the Services: ...
h. for commercial business use as determined from time to time by Telewest at its sole discretion

AOLTW and many other companies go by variant of this. In all of theses cases, if you violate this repetedly then your acccess will get revoked.

FOR EVEYBODY ELSE READING THIS, IF YOUR NOT OFFERING SOME GREAT VERY POPULAR THING ON YOU SITE WHERE YOU GET 100 OR MORE HITS A DAY, THEN DONT WORRY!
BUT this isnt to say they wont find you one day if your unlucky enough!

This is just cheaper and less of a hassle to deal with if Aprelium just hands over control of the backend to another company. Besides I imagine DSL throughput to a backbone woulnt be so good in Tunisia (northern africa).
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: