Can not view site from just some computers....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cerq
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Can not view site from just some computers.... Reply with quote

I've had my site up and running for all most a year now, and it's been great.

However just last weekend I was at my son's place and could not see any text or link buttons on his computer.

The server was loaded and running but NO LINKS.

I could click and drag the mouse from one side to the other, and it would show the text only in gray blocks..

What gives. Also I did all the windows updates and fixes but still no show.

I sure could use so help on this, as I'm lost. I think that his system maybe missing some files, but I don't know what ones.... Tony C.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
GagnierA
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried changing the color the text on your pages just for kicks to see if that helped anything? Cuz sometimes it's a contrast issue between different monitors and configurations...ei: what may look like dark blue text on a black backgroud to you could show up on someone else's computer as the way that you described....

also, with your link buttons, if they're images are they showing up as broken? or are they just not loading up at all? If they just aren't loading, it could be because of the speed of your connection...or his connection...also, if you're downloading anything or seeding things with BT, that'll suck up bandwidth pretty good and will comprimise how your page loads as well.

Can't say for sure, I just hope this kinda helps in some way...if not for you, then for someone else :)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
senshi
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to your site please, I would like to see if its HTML coding errors. Something that could very well be your issue.

Did you use Dreamweaver at all to make your site, if so, it has a tendancy to CENSORED things up URL wise with content that is outside your servers scope, another very common mistake by people who think that they can just link to anyold content when you cant, you have to either specify a virtual path to the contnet or move or copy the content to a folder withion your web server.

So it would help and if people just note, when asking for help, give people something to go on rather than trouble shooting in the dark. Thank You.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
GagnierA
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He isn't having problems with his links, he claims that he was having trouble with seeing the text on his site from his son's computer....I've looked over the site a couple times and don't quite know what the problem is....everything seemed to be functioning (and looking) as intended.

To describe his site to you senshi, he basically just made up a bunch of pages using photoshop (and maybe image ready, but I doubt it) and saved the whole page as one big image.

So to conclude my assessment, the problem would seem to lie in your image compression. Try re-saving your pages with a lower image quality, or substitute some of the areas of the images that can be duplicated with colored table cells, etc...that'll drastically improve your page's load time for those who aren't on a broadband connection (ie. your son by any chance?). A rule of thumb to remember when developing websites is that not everyone has the same system and configuration that you do...not to mention that when you view your page locally, the images are loaded from your hard drive and not from a remote location. Keep in mind the different screen resolutions that are most widely used by your intended audience, and use tables as much as possible to keep a seemless look and feel to things.

I could go on about "rules of thumb" but unless I'm asked, or if I see someone asking, I'm just gonna leave it at that for now....the list is about 5 miles long...heh.

Anyways, hope that helped you and feel free to contact me through email if you need or want more help (cerq....well....anyone really).

:D
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
senshi
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Can not view site from just some computers.... Reply with quote

cerq wrote:
... and could not see any text or link buttons on his computer.

The server was loaded and running but NO LINKS.

Which could be a coding error, a tag could not be terminated or a setting in the HTML is making the site not show up, css may not be loading or any number of other reasons.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
GagnierA
-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he isn't using css....and as I mentioned, his page loads fine. His son is probably on a slow connection and was timing out when it got partially through loading things....as I previously mentioned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: