An interesting question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdkyo
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: An interesting question Reply with quote

Ok. I have a server setup on my notebook. I know that everything won't stay forever. I have a website running and want to make it availble as much as possible. I do not want to ware my notebook out by turning it on all the time. I want to let the notebook have like a shortbreak after being on. How should I do it time wise? (Example: 30 min break after 4 hour on time)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use a notebook but have a desktop close by... If in your case you only have a notebook it should be safe "if it is a newer model" to leave on indefinately as long as thier is adequate ventilation and a cool environment... It doesn't mean you should leave it on for 6 months...

A good 8 to 12 hour break is good for your note while plugged in to the outlet... It is important that you do turn off your notebook atleast once every two weeks for 8 to 12 hours to let the cmos battery charge up...

Its also a good idea to ask your notebooks manufacturer about this very same question... Tell me if possible what they tell you about it :)
tdkyo
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoting the tech @ Compaq User to User support forum:
""Although, there is no such requirement to restart or let it cool off, I still suggest that you restart the system, or allow it to rest for half-an-hour in one day (24 hours). This will maximize the performance with minimum wear and tear

As the Presario 1700 series is a consumer model, it might not be able to take the load of a server for too long, so make sure that it does not overheat.

Rest everything should be fine." "
I have Compaq Presario 1700 btw. :-)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I once had a cmos battery failure and was unable to turn my notebook on... When I called sony they asked if I ever turn it off (I said hardly) they said at least once every two weeks for 8 to 12 hours so the cmos battery could charge up...

I took their word and instead now turn it off every week ;)

Cool you found out what compaq had to say... Its a wise question without a doubt... It sucks major to turn your notebook on one day and it then just it doesn't want to turn on :|

Happy Serving tdkyo ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: