Need Help With Router Setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjjk91
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Need Help With Router Setup Reply with quote

G'Day Everyone,

You have probably seen this questions a thousand times, but i would just like some help with it, as i want to make this 100% perfect. I have recently installed a Belkin wireless router onto my home PC. I have my abyss web server, and NO-IP DNS Server running on my laptop, which i connect to my wireless network. When i try to connect to my website from my laptop, instead of going to the website, it goes to the admin page of my ADSL modem. Why is this? How do i fix this? Is it something i need to fix on my laptop, or is there a setting in my router/ADSL modem that i need to fix?

Cheers

Mick Koch
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
HIWD
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a firewall installed?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HIWD wrote:
Do you have a firewall installed?
mjjk91 wrote:
I have recently installed a Belkin wireless router onto my home PC.

^^ There's your firewall right there.

There happened to be a sticky thread appropriately entitled "Can't view your website?" right below the "New topic" button...
http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3806
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: No Luck Reply with quote

G'Day everyone,

Thanks for that link iNaMimAtW, but i was unsuccessful in configuring my router. I added a Virtual Server (Port Forwarding) for my Web Server, which is port 80, under the internal IP Address, but this didnt fix my problem, it still goes to the Broadband Moden Setup screen. The services i am running on my laptop are the Abyss Web Server, No-ip DNS Server, and MySQL Database server. I used DMZ to put my laptop outside the Router's firewall, and still couldnt access my website, it still went to the modem settings. I use Windows XP Professional, there is only 2 computers on the network, the main PC which has the router and modem, and my laptop, which has the Abyss Web Server, MySQL Mail Server, and No-IP DNS Server. Any ideas why it does not work?

Cheers

Mick Koch
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like there is a conflict between the port forwarding and your router's remote administration. What brand router do you have? Look for an option that allows you to disable remote administration. Also, give us your IP and let us test it. Sometimes, regardless if you set it up properly, anyone accessing the IP from inside the network will get the administration page.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Information Reply with quote

G'Day Everyone,

I have a Belkin Wireless Router. My DNS is seifer14.no-ip.com, but i am not online most of the times, and my page probablt wont come up because when you guys are online, i am asleep, and my computer is not on, :( so my web server might not be running. I will look for this particular option tonight, and post back the results.

Cheers

Mick Koch
mjjk91
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Still Not Workin! :( Reply with quote

G'Day All,

Im still trying to configure my home network to have my website appear, and its still not working. I emailed Belkin (my router manufacturer), and the told me to not only add the Web Server under Virtual Server (Port Forwarding), but also to open the port 80 for the web server under the Application Gateways, but its still not working. Remote Administration is not on with my router, and when i apply my laptop to the DNZ, it also does not work. Im not sure what else there is to do. Is there any other reason why i cannot see my site?
Also, users outside my home network cannot view my website, so there is something wrong there.

Cheers

Mick Koch
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a good chance that your ISP blocks port 80. Change the port in Abyss to 21208, and forward the port in your router. Then, go to yourip:21208 and it should work.
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Ah, getting somewhere. Reply with quote

Ah, i think i am getting somewhere. There are a few things that have come up. Firstly, i noticed that the port setting for abyss was 8080. Does this mean its on port 80, or port 8080, because in my router settings, it requires me to put in port numbers for both Trigger Start Points, and Trigger end points, and i put in 80 for each value. Is that here the 8080 comes from? I ask this because when i run the address 192.168.2.3:80, it actually comes up with my website, but when i run the address 192.168.2.3:8080, it comes up with the Abyss Web Server Admin Panel. So, am i really running Abyss on Port 8080, and not on Port 80? When i tried to run Abyss on Port 80, it said there was another service on that. Is there a way to find out what services are running on which ports on my computer?

Secondly, when i put in the Internal IP Address of my machine (192.168.2.3), it actually goes to my website. Is this just the same as the localhost address (127.0.0.1) because its my machines Internal IP Address, or does it mean things are working?

Thirdly, when i put in the Internet IP Address, in this case, its 144.137.105.17, it goes to the modem administration panel, which is the problem page. Now, this is the IP Address that the No-IP client is updating, so the reason its going to the modem admin page is because thats the IP Address No-Ip Client is resolving.

Fourthly, i noticed that the No-IP Client is running on Port 8245. Would i need to include this in my router settings?

Overall, this is a little more than what i knew before, but still has not solved my problem. Is it true that while my website works under my Internal IP Address, and not Internet IP Address, that others around the world will not be able to see it? This is my problem.

Any ideas peoples?

Cheers

Mick Koch
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question 1: Abyss runs on two ports: a web serving port, and a console port. It seems your web serving port is set on port 80, so going to yourip:80 (the :80 isn't necessary) will bring up your website. If the console is set at :8080, then typing in yourip:8080 will bring up the console. However, if you do not forward port 8080 in your router, then you will only be able to visit the Abyss console locally.

Question 2: Putting in your internal IP address will do the same thing as putting in localhost. You need to use your external IP to see if it's working, however viewing your external IP from a computer on the same network as Abyss might not guarantee if your server is working. Give us your IP and we can check it, or use a website such as Proxify or a HTTP Header Viewer to check if your website is working.

Question 3: You are going to need to disable remote administration in your router for it to stop doing that. However, since you are on the same network as Abyss, it is quite possible that even disabling remote administration will not change you from going to your router's configuration. If you cannot find an option that says "remote administration" (or something similar), then people outside of your network will most likely get your website instead of your router's configuration page. I tried your IP, and it didn't work. Maybe it has changed.

Question 4: No you do not.

Hope that helps.
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Ok, will test Reply with quote

G'Day All,

Ok, so replies to your answers:

Question 1: So will i need to configure my router to allow access on ports 8080 and 80, or just port 80? If i dont allow access on port 8080, this wont affect my web server, it will just mean i cant access the abyss admin panel?

Question 2: When i use my external Ip Address on another network, it works fine. That is when abyss is running on another network. When abyss is running on my home network, connected via the router, computers outside that network cannot view my site, it says page not found...... DNS error...... blah blah blah. Also, when i put in my external IP Address, i am getting the modem admin screen, which is the problem. I will try using proxify.com tonight on my home network, but i did try it on another network, and it works fine.

Question 3: There is an option in my router configuration do disable or enable remote admin. Remote admin had already been disabled, so like you say, even though its disabled, i am still able to access the router configuration screen from inside my network. The problem is not with the router configuration screen though. When i try to access my website, it goes to the ADSL Modem Configuration Screen. Thats the problem, and i cant seem to get that working.

I will do some testing tonight and get back to you, but if you have found out anything new from this post, please get back to me.

Cheers

Mick Koch
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question 1: Just port 80.

Question 2: Try plugging directly into your modem and see if it works.

Question 3: Do the same as Question 2. How many ports does your modem have? When you are plugged directly into the modem, what does ipconfig say?
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: More things Worked Out, but not Working! :( Reply with quote

G'Day All,

The saga continues. :D A few things i have noticed tonight.

1. The first thing i noticed is that when i am not running the No-IP DNS Client, the modem admin screen still comes up at the address seifer14.no-ip.com. Now, obviously this means that when i am running abyss and am on the network, the network is not looking for my DNS Client in order to resolve the External IP Address. Is it resolving it using the ISP's own DNS? If so, how can i modify it so that my DNS client will resolve my external IP Address?

2. I have tested everything when connect directly to the modem, and i am having the same problems. Works on localhost (obviously), but does not work at the seifer14.no-ip.com address, i get the modem admin screen again. My modem has only one LAN Port, while my router has 4 LAN Ports.

3. I have included some screen shots of my settings. Basically, this will show what changes i have made, and what output i am getting. I think we are getting closer, but, not close enough. :D

Cheers everyone, here are the shots.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SHOTS WHEN CONNECTED TO MODEM OR ROUTER

Abyss Web Server:

Trying To Open seifer14.no-ip.com:

Error from not authenticating password at seifer14.no-ip.com:

SHOTS WHEN CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO MODEM:

IP Config /all when connected to modem:

DNS Client When Connected To Modem: (The same applies when connected to router)

SHOTS WHEN CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO ROUTER:

IP Config /all when connected to router:

Belkin Router Admin - Application Gateway Setting:

Belkin Router Admin - Virtual Server Setting:

Belkin Router Admin - Remote Management Setting:

Belkin Router Admin - All Settings Available:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you need anymore information, please ask.

Cheers

Mick Koch
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first off, I thank you for trying your best to get this problem fixed (and providing a lot of information, instead of just providing short vague answers). Hopefully we can get this resolved.

First, about the DUC: The client only updates your hostname if the IP changes. If you close the DUC client, the Domain Name will still be associated with the last IP that it was changed to; it just won't update if a new IP comes.

Now for this, I want you to keep your computer plugged in directly to the modem. After that, type "10.0.0.138" in your browser. Do you get the modem setup screen? Maybe your modem also offers port forwarding, as it still uses an internal IP when you are plugged into it. If you are able to find port forwarding/virtual servers, forward port 80 to 10.0.0.1. Then, we can try it and see if it works.

My hope would be that port 80 will be forwarded from the modem to the router, and the router will forward it to your PC. Sort of a double-forward...
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Bit Slack 2night. :( Reply with quote

G'Day All,

Firstlyu, thanks iNaNimAtE for your positive comments. Its good to know that im not just being an annoying pain. :D Yes, i am putting in quite a bit of effort to get this working, and its worth it, because when its all up and going, i will be able to run an e-business off the computer, and have it perform as a server, which means i wont need to tell u that seifer14.no-ip.com isnt working. :D :D :D

In response to your last message, im sorry, but i have not been able to try this out tonight, as i have just installed Windows XP Pro onto my home PC, and its now 10:31pm, bed time. :D

There are a few things that i did notice though. Im not sure if my modem offers port forwarding, but there are a few advanced options that might come in handy:
- Static Routing: Can add a new entry to the IP Address table, and IP Route Table.
- DNS: Can add a new entry to the DNS Hostname Table, and can activate the DNS Server for a given domain name (the default is vic.bigpond.net.au, which is also my login server).
- DHCP: DHCP Client is running, can add a new entry to the DHCP Client Configuration table, DHCP Server Address Pool table, and DHCP Server Leases Table.
- NAT: Can add a new entry to the NAPT Settings Table, and can also specify a Default Server.

Well, i dont know if that helps. I will try more stuff tommorrow. Hopefully we can get this working, not just for myself, but for others who are having the same problem, this thread can be a great teaching tool.

Cheers

Mick Koch
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of those options will most likely help you. Sorry.
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Nope, still not working Reply with quote

G'Day all,

Well i have been frantically trying to set this up 2night, and have had no success. I tried connecting directly to my computer, and it still goes to that damn modem admin screen. I really have no ideas how to fix this? Anyone got anything new? Do i need to change any of my network settings, IP Addresses, DNS Addresses, anything which may bring light to this? I have sent more emails out to people, and will continue to try to fix this. I dont really want to have to go and pay to have a network engineer or someone come and look at it, but if that be the case, i may have 2. :(

Anyways, anything would be absolutely great. Cheers all.

Mick Koch
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give us some modem screen shots?
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what you do. Go into your router settings, go to "PORT FORWARDING", then make sure port 80 is set to forward to your IP. If it still doesn't work. Make a custom forwarder.

Make the port 3252 or something. But be sure to forward it to your IP.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, we've done that. The problem is that his modem is blocking all requests in the beginning, so his router doesn't even have a chance to forward anything.
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Sorry For the delay, still no luck! Reply with quote

G'Day All,

Well, still no luck on my networking problem. Here are some screenshots of my modem. Im actually getting one of my mates to come in and give me a hand. He is a network engineer, so if he doesnt know whats going on, then who will??? I have migrated everything over to my host PC, and things are still not working, when i have the LAN cable connected to the Router, or directly to the modem, so i have no idea. Hopefully my mate will be able too, he seemed to know my problem when i told him. We will see, and i will keep everyone posted.

Here are the shots:

(1) Modem Screen Admin:

(2) Modem Static Routing

(3) Modem DNS

(4) Modem DHCP

(5) Modem NAT

(6) Modem Setup

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mick Koch
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have two problem if I understanding from your previous reply.
Your router Remote connection and two nic on your Abyss Box.

According to your IPCONFIG:
From your Abyss Box IP
1. - 192.168.2.3 and 10.0.0.1

From Router IP
2. - 192.168.2.1 and 10.0.0.1

My question to you:
1. - Did you change your above IP for your router and Abyss Box? What is the current IP setting?
2. - What remote port of your WAN for your Admin of your router? I assumed it is port 80.
3. - Can you change this Remote Admin to other Port other than port 80? This is the port I see you forwarding to your 192.168.2.3 LAN (Abyss). Eventhough your PortForwarding table is ok. But you may need to change your Remote Admin port. Beside, it is not wise to have your Remote Admin to port 80 [security reason]. Change to something odd port.

Beside testing your Abyss is working correctly from loop, try using another PC from your LAN side and enter 192.168.2.3 and see if Abyss website server up those HTM/L page.

If LAN PC does not get pages, try 127.0.0.1 or localhost and see if it serve from itself. If it serve page but not your LAN PC, check if ICF is enable or any firewall you have install.
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Long Time, Same Problem Reply with quote

G'Day Everyone,

Its been a LONG time since i left a post here, so i will give a quick update.

Basically, i still have not got things working, but we are sure we have pin-pointed the problem. It lies in the IP Route Table of the Modem. The problem is, the packet is not getting beyond the routing function of the modem, and instead of going to its required destination, by default, it is staying within the modem, therefore giving us the modem admin screen. Somehow, we need to create an access rule, that will allow the packet to bypass the modem, and go straight to my web server. This is posing a bit of a problem, but we are working on it. Any ideas would be helpful.

Cheers

Mick Koch
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think I have a solution.

However, can you please provide me with the screenshot of the page when you hit to create a new IP Route rule.
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this seems rushed, I'm on a modem at home and don't fancy the funky phone bill coming soon. If you need something clarified, yell.

First, you haven't made any entries in the modem's NAPT table. The NAPT table is essentially a firewall. Put one in directing port 80 to 10.0.0.1. Somewhere there should be a page where you can configure which port is used by your modem's admin page. Mine WAS 80, I moved it to one with a high number, way out of the way, together with its telnet and ftp ports.

From what I've speed-read, you've effectively got two routers, the belkin and the speedtouch.

You only need two routers if you want to run two completely independant domains. At the moment you do have two : 10.0.0.* and 192.168.2.*

You can't connect from one to the other without bridging them.

I get the impression that your modem is being assigned an IP by the belkin, as is your server. A good rule of thumb is to have the modem as the first in the IP chain (10.0.0.1) then your servers, then everything else.

I use a Speedstream 5660, old but it does the job, to handle two sites, one of which is my homepage : http://stone-d.mine.nu

Internet <-> Speedstream <-> Hub

Hub -> Server
|
|--> rest of LAN.

if you're paranoid, this could be :

Hub
|
Server
|
Hub/Switch
|
|--> rest of LAN.

Speedstream == 10.0.0.1
Server == 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.200

10.0.0.2 is LAN traffic, .200 is internet traffic.

On the modem (Speedstream) I forward port 80, 88, 89, 8000 and 8080 (amongst others) to 10.0.0.200

port 80 is handled by mailtraq's virtual hosting, which then redirects to 88 (homepage) or 89 (internal website) based on the requested domain.

port 8000, webmail, is handled by mailtraq itself. port 8080 is handled by proxomitron for some of our users who want to surf filtered.

That's all there is to it.

I suggest you fill in a static DHCP entry for your server. Pre-solves problems later on.

Ack. Too long already.
mjjk91
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Screenshot Reply with quote

G'Day all,

iNaNimAtE, here is the screenshot you requested. Its gotta be something with this:

New IP Route Entry

Stone-D, i had a look at your suggestions, and at the moment, i have found no way to change the port of the modem's admin screen. I am sure it is running on port 80, but i have no idea how to change this. I tried using telnet, but had no success. Im about to send the manufacturers an email, so we will see what they say. Any ideas how i can change the port number?

Please continue to help me out, all this information is awesome, and HOPEFULLY, i will resolve this all very soon.

Cheers

Mick Koch
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Source: any
Destination: 10.0.0.1
Gateway: 10.0.0.138
Interface: If there isn't any other option, then just use "eth0"

Give it a shot.
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Nope, No Success Reply with quote

G'Day All,

iNaNimAtE, no success. Did what you tried, and still got the same result. I simply put 127.0.0.1 into the source, this would have made no difference?

I got an email from belkin telling me how to change the port number. They told to create a NAT rule as follows:

For eg. port 10000 create a NAT entry with :

protocol tcp
inside address 127.0.0.1
inside port 80
outside addr 0.0.0.0
outside port 10000

but when i tried this, i could still access the modem's admin page at http://10.0.0.138:80, and not http://10.0.0.138:10000. Can anyone see anything wrong with their instructions?

Also, Stone-D, i think i know what you are saying mate, but im just a tad confused, trying to incorporate what you did with your setup into my setup. If you could sorta simplify it, that would be highly appreciated, as it sounds like you have sorted out this sort of problem before.

Cheers all, speak soon.

Mick Koch
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Nope, No Success Reply with quote

mjjk91 wrote:
iNaNimAtE, no success. Did what you tried, and still got the same result. I simply put 127.0.0.1 into the source, this would have made no difference?

No, put *.*.*.* instead. I don't really know how the looping traffic would work, so just keep it at that.
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Trace Route - Any Help? Reply with quote

G'Day All,

INaMimAtE, i tried your instructions, and had no luck (surprise surprise). :D I performed an IP Route Trace for my domain (seifer14.no-ip.com), and the results were interesting. Have a look, and tell me what you think:

(1) Results From tracert:

This is telling us thet packet is going to the router (192.168.2.1), thats step 1. The next step is the packet is being routed to the address CPE-203.51.41.93.nsw.bigpond.net.au. Any ideas what this could mean?

Cheers

Mick Koch
Stone-D
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Nope, No Success Reply with quote

mjjk91 wrote:
G'Day All,

For eg. port 10000 create a NAT entry with :

protocol tcp
inside address 127.0.0.1
inside port 80
outside addr 0.0.0.0
outside port 10000

Also, Stone-D, i think i know what you are saying mate, but im just a tad confused, trying to incorporate what you did with your setup into my setup. If you could sorta simplify it, that would be highly appreciated, as it sounds like you have sorted out this sort of problem before.

LOL. Ok, before I go rambling again, try this :

protocol tcp
inside address 127.0.0.1 (1)
inside port 80
outside addr *.*.*.* (2)
outside port 80

(1) 127.0.0.1 is localhost, an address accessible ONLY from the local computer/net device. Replace with your server's LAN IP as connected with the modem - ie, 10.0.0.whatever or 192.168.0.whatever
(2) or netmask 255.255.255.255, depending on what you're being asked to type in. 255.255.255.255 is the *.*.*.* equivalent as a netmask.

Have you tried configuring the NAT for the modem as per my ramble?

Quote:
This is telling us thet packet is going to the router (192.168.2.1), thats step 1. The next step is the packet is being routed to the address CPE-203.51.41.93.nsw.bigpond.net.au. Any ideas what this could mean?

Heh, read it again. It says "CPE-203.51.41.93.nsw.bigpond.net.au [203.51.41.93]"

That IP is your WAN IP. The traceroute is basically saying :

YourComputer -> YourRouter -> ISP_DNS_Server -> YourRouter
mjjk91
-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Something, Maybe. Reply with quote

G'Day All,

Stone-D, i had a look at your instructions, and i put this into my NAT table:

protocol tcp
inside address 192.168.2.93 (SERVER ADDRESS)
inside port 80
outside addr 0.0.0.0 (IM NOT SURE IF THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED)
outside port 80

As i said, im not sure if i was meant to put 0.0.0.0 in the outside addr, or if i was actually meant to put 255.255.255.0. I tried this, and it came up with an error, so i assumed 0.0.0.0 is correct. Well, when i tried to browse to my site, instead of going to the modem's admin screen, it came up with a "page not found" error. I guess thats better than the other. :D Any ideas why this would be happeneing?

I ran a tracert again, and it came up with the same results. Stone-D, i was aware of what the route was saying, :D , just was obvious that the [203.51.41.93] was my external IP Address.

I am a bit confused about how you managed to decide this was thr route it was taking

To me, it seems is it going

Computer (192.168.2.93) -> Router (192.168.2.1) -> CPE-203.51.41.93.nsw.bigpond.net.au (203.51.41.93)

Now, should this 203.51.41.93 be my seifer14.no-ip.com domain? Isnt that the problem we are trying to resolve? Im not sure, but, yeah.

What do we think?

Thanks heaps to everyone trying to help out. Catch u soon.

Cheers

Mick Koch
Stone-D
-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Something, Maybe. Reply with quote

mjjk91 wrote:
G'Day All,

Stone-D, i had a look at your instructions, and i put this into my NAT table:

protocol tcp
inside address 192.168.2.93 (SERVER ADDRESS)
inside port 80
outside addr 0.0.0.0 (IM NOT SURE IF THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED)
outside port 80

As i said, im not sure if i was meant to put 0.0.0.0 in the outside addr, or if i was actually meant to put 255.255.255.0. I tried this, and it came up with an error, so i assumed 0.0.0.0 is correct. Well, when i tried to browse to my site, instead of going to the modem's admin screen, it came up with a "page not found" error. I guess thats better than the other. :D Any ideas why this would be happeneing?

It is coming up with page not found, because the netmask is blocking all accesses except for one very lucky machine.

You should put 255.255.255.255 in there.

A netmask is basically an internet IP wildcard, like *.* for DOS/windows. When you put 255.255.255.0, you're saying *.*.*.0 - ie, the last digit is fixed. Ie :

anywhere.anywhere.anywhere.specific_node

What you want is :

anywhere.anywhere.anywhere.anywhere

or 255.255.255.255

You can read up some more info on netmasks here :

http://www.n2h2.com/support/bess.php?device_type=g2100&content=orderinfo

Quote:
I ran a tracert again, and it came up with the same results. Stone-D, i was aware of what the route was saying, :D , just was obvious that the [203.51.41.93] was my external IP Address.

I am a bit confused about how you managed to decide this was thr route it was taking

To me, it seems is it going

Computer (192.168.2.93) -> Router (192.168.2.1) -> CPE-203.51.41.93.nsw.bigpond.net.au (203.51.41.93)

Now, should this 203.51.41.93 be my seifer14.no-ip.com domain? Isnt that the problem we are trying to resolve? Im not sure, but, yeah.

What do we think?

You're essentially right in a way.

Computer (192.168.2.93) -> Router (192.168.2.1) -> DNS SERVER -> CPE-203.51.41.93.nsw.bigpond.net.au (203.51.41.93)

Any one IP address can have an unlimited number of domains assigned to it. For example, I myself have four for one address :

tbisetiabudi.dyndns.org
tbi-jkt.mine.nu
stone-d.dyndns.org
stone-d.mine.nu

You have two : CPE-203.51.41.93.nsw.bigpond.net.au and whatever you've set with no-ip or whatever.

The first is the default which is set by the ISP. It won't reply with your no-ip because that is a virtual domain, not a fixed domain.

So we've got :

Computer (192.168.2.93)
->Router (192.168.2.1)
-> DNS SERVER

At this point, all the DNS server knows is that 203.51.41.93 is part of the IP range assigned to bigpond. So :

-> CPE-203.51.41.93.nsw.bigpond.net.au (203.51.41.93)

Try to do a tracert on youraddress.no-ip.com, see what happens.

Good luck! :)
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjjk91,

I may mis understand your router [speedtouch] but out of curiousity. Why your router have this setting - 169.254.132* and 169.254.132.132 and 144.137.104.132 .... etc... under gateway. How many gateway do you actually have?
In normal private [LAN] will have one gateway to gain access to outside world. My home network and the company I work for will mainly use one gateway.

Maybe this is the whole problem [guessing here].
Find out what your IP that assign from your ISP.
Find out what your router IP
Find out how many LAN IP you will be using.

WAN IP [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] I assumed this is your WAN IP from your ISP (203.51.41.93).
Gateway IP - 10.0.0.138
DNS IP - 61.9.192.14 and 61.9.192.15
LAN IP - 10.0.0.2 to 200 (10.0.0.x scope) and 192.168.1 (192.168.1.x scope). It seem you have two LAN scope.

Try using one scope throughout your network. Having mix scope may cause problem.

Try to simply first. Just using ISP, Router / Gateway and one PC.
Router -
Set your Router / Gateway to point to your ISP
Assign your router it own IP [LAN]. I assumed 192.168.2.1
Set your LAN Netmask to 255.255.255.0 for 254 LAN node for your LAN use internally. Set your router to either DHCP enable or disable. Depending which way your way. By having DHCP enable, this router will assign 254 node [LAN IP] to any PC that is set to "Obtain automatic..." In LAN PC, both IP and DNS should be set to "Obtain IP..." and "Obtain DNS...." automatically.
LAN PC should get all the setting from your router.

If above setting is correct and your LAN PC can have access. Next step is to assign your other PC. Try using a LAN static IP for any server like Abyss. Assign a unique IP without using TCP/IP from the PC without using Obtain IP. Still in the same scope, assign the server PC outside the DHCP range. IE. if your DHCP set for 20 IP like 192.168.10 to 20, then use 192.168.1.19 or 21 instead. Use virtual server or IP forwarding to the server. Set a PORT to the same LAN IP.
-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Results? Reply with quote

Hi all

I was wondering what the overall outcome of the post was?

I have the same problem using a Tompson Speedtouch 545, everything setup fine but still goes to the router setup menu (cannot disable).

From what I can make out, entering 0.0.0.0 into the router will be the same as 255.255.255.255 (it comes up as 'unspecified:<port no>')

mjjk91 - did you have any joy?

Thanks,
Gavin

www.geocities.com/gsk_mr2/index.html
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mjjk91
-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Nope, Still Nothin Reply with quote

G'Day All,

Gskmr2, i still have not had any luck fixing my problem. Due to work and other things, i have not had a chance to have a look at it in a while. I know my friend and i r close to fixing the problem. Just have to get organised, thats all. :D It sounds like you are having the same trouble as me, and we have isolated it to the routing table. Its something in there that is routing the packets to the wrong destination. Out of curiosity, who is your ISP? Also, general question to everyone, is this problem only found with the Speedtouch series of ADSL modems? Has anyone else had the same problem with a different modem?

Thanks all, sorry for the late reply. I will try to find a solution soon.

Cheers

Mick Koch
gskmr2
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

I'm with AOL (ready for the critisicm now! lol). Couldn't be bothered to change the email address in about 100 different places so stayed with AOL from dialup to broadband. Thats also the reason for a Speedtouch router, tried 2 others but they don't work with the AOL protocol.

I've got a largish setup for home really - 2 computers, 2 laptops and 1 xbox, and I was hoping to host my website (www.geocities.com/gsk_mr2/index.html) locally with unlimited download speed rather than keep getting my download limit reached every time I visited it.

I did contact support a little while ago with different problems (when napt settings wasn't in the html section, only telnet) and they were very helpful, might try them again and see if they can help.

Gav
gskmr2
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: http://172.202.103.126 Reply with quote

Mjjk91, I have it fixed!

If you go here: http://172.202.103.126 you will see my site up and running using the Abyss server and a Tompson Speedtouch 545 Router.

I will put pics on the site later (may be a little slow though) of the router setup so you can download and see better. (http://172.202.103.126/speedtouch.zip will be the file name, keep checking, should be done by around 5pm GMT)

I basically started again with it - downloaded the router setup program and the NAT setup program from the firmware update menu in the router, ran through the firmware update even though I had the latest version so that completely reset it to default.
Then I used the wizard to set it up, choosing the second option in the first screen (something like choose config manually) and in here you can disable external access to the router setup. There is another step in here but I can't for the life of me remember what it was, will ammend later and include text file in the downloadable zip.

After that, set up port routing on 80 to go to 10.0.0.2,which is the machine running the server and then came to work to try it.
Oh, I did use the NAT program to set up the port forwarding, might be nothing major but its what I used and now it works.
Cant remember changing anything else but again, will double check later on.

HTH - Gav

Forgot to mention I don't have a static IP so it might change.
mjjk91
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Could Not View Your Site Reply with quote

G'Day All,

Gav, i was unable to view your site. Mate i would love to view those screen shots and try them out with my setup, so could you please email them to:
- s_liston2@hotmail.com

if not, try to get your website up and going statically. Have you tried using the no-ip DUC application?

Cheers mate, hope to hear from you soon.

Mick
mjjk91
-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: No success Reply with quote

G'Day All,

thanks for the screen shots gav. Had a try and had no luck. Modified my settings to resemble yours, but didnt make much difference. Only thing that changed was when i added an NAT entry. Instead of going to the modem's admin screen, it came up with a "page not found" screen. Any ideas what this could mean?

Also, you taked about "downloaded the router setup program and the NAT setup program from the firmware update menu in the router". What do u mean by that, is this updating your modem's software from inside the modem's admin screen, because i have the latest version software for my modem. Also, u talked about using a wizard to set things up. Is this just a wizard you use when installing the modem via a CD from the vendor, or another wizard? Cheers gav.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks everyong.

Cheers

Mick Koch
mjjk91
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Changes, but no closer!!! Reply with quote

G'Day all,

Well, its been a while, and i have been trying my best to fix everything up here, but i am no closer. I just bought a brand new ADSL modem, a DLink DSL-302G. The reason i bought this is that it contains to NAT routing/firewall/etc stuff, so i was hoping that by configuring this, i wouldnt have to worry about IP Routing and the sort. Well, once installed, i tried to access my website, and u wouldnt believe it, but i get redirected to THIS modem's admin page!!!! Am i cursed or what?!? The website's admin page does exist on port 80, so i would think if i can change the modem's admin page to another port, i would be sweet. Anyone know how this can be done with the DLink modem's???

U can understand i am quite annoyed by this!!! Any help would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Thanks all.

Mick Koch
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLink DSL-302G do not have port setting or forward. It just a bridge / modem.

You will need a router to have this port forwarding task etc. Or use a firewall / proxy.

From your message, I assumed you already know how to access the modem.

Default IP - 10.1.1.1 subnet - 255.0.0.0 [RJ45 PORT]
Default IP - 10.1.1.2 subnet - 255.0.0.0 [USB PORT]
default -
Name - admin
Password - admin
I assuming your DSL-302G is a C version.
ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Broadband/dsl302g_revC/Manual/dsl302G_manual_103.zip
Note -
Modem / Bridge do not do PORT forwarding or Virtural Server or similar task. Router task do just that, routing as it name imply [PORT forwarding or Virtual Server] and adding function DHCP NAT and some device have simple firewall.
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Guess What? I HAVE DONE IT!!! Reply with quote

G'Day Everyone,

You wont believe it, but, I HAVE FINALLY FIXED THIS A**H*L* OF A PROBLEM!!!!!!!! Yes, buying the DLink DSL-302G Modem really helped. All i had to do was set the modem to bridge mode, connect to my ISP through PPPoE with my wirelesss router, and set port forwarding for my web server port (80), and it works absolutely fine. I am so happy, FINALLLY fixed the thing. I have to say BIG thanks to everyone here. It has been so great to see people helping out. I am a massive fan of the Abyss Web Server, and am very proud to use it to host my website. Unfortunately, my site is still in construction, so i cant put it live yet. :D

Quick one, how goes the development of the Abyss Web Server Professional edition? I would love to buy that when it comes out. SSL, but thing i need.

Thanks again everyone. Speak soon, when i have my next issue. :D

Cheers

Mick Koch
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear your problem is fix / resolved. Just out of curiousity, what wireless router that you have?
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Wireless Router Reply with quote

CapFusion,

I have a Belkin Wireless Router, which connects my PC, Laptop, and playstation 2 via a Dlink wireless bridge.

Cheers

Mick Koch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: