Question re: Password Protected Directories

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:14 am    Post subject: Question re: Password Protected Directories Reply with quote

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does the Admin person (who controls the console) need to also make him/herself a "user" with a separate password to access password-protected directories, or can they just use the Admin password to gain access to all password-protected directories???

I'm asking because I installed the "phpMyAdmin" folder in my "htdocs" folder, and password-protected the "phpMyAdmin" directory (as suggested in the phpMyAdmin manual - for security reasons). I was about to create a "user" and "password" for that directory, when it occured to me to verify if this is necessary.

Again, I apologize for my newbieness. I've been reading manuals for about 5 hours straight, and my eyeballs are about to implode. 8O
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gheghe.. go out and play i´d say!

to protect dir´s you need htaccess and htpassword files. Don´t ask me howto do that, i always steel the files :oops:
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Question re: Password Protected Directories Reply with quote

DLashley wrote:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does the Admin person (who controls the console) need to also make him/herself a "user" with a separate password to access password-protected directories, or can they just use the Admin password to gain access to all password-protected directories???

The console Admin is only valid for accessing the console. It isn't valid for accessing password protected files/directories. You can do the test if you want to be sure :D
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Keys wrote:
gheghe.. go out and play i´d say!

to protect dir´s you need htaccess and htpassword files. Don´t ask me howto do that, i always steel the files :oops:

This IS how I play! I live on this thing! :lol:

I have a tute on htaccess and htpassword, so that's no problemo, but can't I just use the built-in thingie in Abyss Web Server to create password-protected directories??? Is .htaccess more secure???

By the way, thanks much for responding to my previous question. :)
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Question re: Password Protected Directories Reply with quote

aprelium wrote:
DLashley wrote:

The console Admin is only valid for accessing the console. It isn't valid for accessing password protected files/directories. You can do the test if you want to be sure :D

No thanks, I'll take your word for it. :wink:

Thanks alot for answering my question. So far I'm having a ball with Abyss Web Server. This is a really great program.
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havn´t find it yet in abyss, and yes, htaccess is safer
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Keys wrote:

I'm a bit confused - what is it you haven't found in Abyss? Are you referring to how to create password-protected directories?

If that's what you meant, please clarify, because I can tell you how to do it.

I'm not sure what you mean. :?
-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, i was thinking inb my head and typed that. You are right, i was talking about the private dir things built in Abyss.
-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Keys wrote:

Sorry !Keys, but saying ".htaccess is safer" has no real meaning. ".htaccess" is the file name Apache (and clones) use to tell the server what are the access restrictions. Abyss Web Server doesn't use such a file to do the job, it does the same using the console. So there is no difference in safety, it is just the way of configuring the feature that changes.
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aprelium wrote:
!Keys wrote:

Sorry !Keys, but saying ".htaccess is safer" has no real meaning. ".htaccess" is the file name Apache (and clones) use to tell the server what are the access restrictions. Abyss Web Server doesn't use such a file to do the job, it does the same using the console. So there is no difference in safety, it is just the way of configuring the feature that changes.

Thanks for clearing up whether or not ".htaccess" files are allowed in Abyss, people. :-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> PHP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: