Backing Up Abyss

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axis
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Backing Up Abyss Reply with quote

This may (or may not) be a stupid question. I am in the habit of doing weekly backups of my Abyss installation. I have, in the past, stopped the server to do this but I don't like the downtime. Will any important data be lost by simply copying the whole directory and saving it in another folder? I am not 100% sure that a running process like Abyss can be backed up this way. I noticed a slight difference in bytes, but saw nothing really significant show up when I just tried it this way.

Ideas, Aprelium, anyone?

Thanks Much.

Regards,
Axis
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why every week? why not every month? How often does your configuration settings change? The important thing to backup weekly is your website files.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Axis
-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello TRUSTAbyss--

Well, my site(s) change frequently and sometimes my settings in abyss.conf change as well, as in adding a new URL Rewrite rule, etc.

Since, like many, my websites are on my local computer I am always guarding against a possible total meltdown so I back up not only my webserver folder but have copies of my Abyss, MySQL, PHP and Perl installation files as well.

The goal is to have the ability to re-install everything and get it working if I had to install on another computer. It could be considered "paranoid" but I think it is actually good sense for someone seriously invested in their sites.

But back to the issue I am asking about, If I try to compress *directly* the folder where abyss is installed (and includes my php installation but not perl or MySql) the compression agent will say "cannot open logs file as they are being used by another process." So what I did last back-up, getting no response here on the forums, was stop the server briefly while I did a quick "select all" and copy and then in the during the few minutes it takes to copy all that data to a backup folder (which I then burn to disk), I restart the server while pasting is still going on. That seemed to work. I actually copy my entire MySql folder from Program Data Files and then compress in the same way. Everything is then burned to a disk so in the extreme case of a computer meltdown I can re-install *everthing*. I had to go through this whole process a few years ago when I jumped to a new computer and OS, but that was intended and not a "meltdown."

Longer post than intended. I am just trying to see if anyone had thoughts about something I might be missing.

Regards,
Axis
jxxaxxy
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Macrium Reflect.

I think the problem is your backup software.

I make backup copies daily using this automated system.

No problems with active files either.
Axis
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello jxxaxxy--

I just checked out Macrium Reflect Disk Imaging and Backup. Reading through the help files its *seems* like this is similar to Windows 7's "create a restore point" and just saves it to hard disk. Let me know if I am wrong.

I want to be able to burn this to a CD-Rom (R/W), for the above reasons. I believe my clipboard can carry the 204 MB needed to do it the way I am now doing.

Thanks for your idea.

Regards,
Axis
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could setup a VM or another machine that holds the same files as your production server and point it to your router during down times. Running Abyss under Windows 7 XP Mode should do the trick. I use this method for my production server when it requires an upgrade or backup. It is as if your server was never offline in the first place.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Axis
-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. I don't have a router or another machine suitable for production, but I think I have answered my own question.

Regards,
Axis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: