Static IP Address Binding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Static IP Address Binding Reply with quote

I was just on the phone with Linksys, and that person did not explain a damn thing. I am hoping that one of you can help clarify.

I am going to order 5 static IP addresses (actually they're free), but I need to get the whole binding thing straight.

Now if 5 IP Addresses are going to the router, how is each computer going to know what IP to use? I heard that lady rambling something about a switch between the router and the modem. Would I have 2 or 3 routers on one switch, and the switch would bind a static IP to each router?

It would be great if someone could clarify how this works with a Linksys router.
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 IP addresses don't 'go' to the router - you are simply being allocated those IPs to use. It doesn't mean that the router will receive 5 IPs and have to try and decide where to put them.

The router would use 1 IP. You can then either set up a DHCP scope on your router that only allows it to allocate the other 4 IPs, or simply switch off DHCP on your router altogether and set the IP for each machine manually in Windows/Linux. It should be up to you which IP you choose to use for which machine, although the router may still pick one up automatically if you do not set it manually in your router options.

Note that a switch does not allocate IPs, it's just a repeater of the ethernet signal. More intelligent than a hub, but it still does not include a DHCP server...
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already don't use the DHCP. All my computers are manually set internal IPs. What I don't get is, how can I go about assigning an external IP to an internal IP? I have a feeling it is static routing, but I am not sure.

And then there is the whole idea about having multiple computers using port 80 (with port forwarding). It doesn't sound like I am capable of doing that, but then I wonder how others do.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your ISP is selling blocks of IPs they should have some setup details buried on their site. Basically, you turn off NAT and setup static routes for each IP afaik. What's the full model number for your router ?
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linksys BEFSR41.
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iNaNimAtE wrote:
Linksys BEFSR41.

hey you have the same rounter as me
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having five IP from your ISP is kind of useless. The only time 5 IP is usefull is to have all your LAN PC to use each as static to that IP provided from your ISP. The router simply do not nothing. From each five PC you have, set it all the IP and DNS for each PC. Do not use auto setting. Doing this will limited to five PC that will be able to connect to internet.

If you really want five (5) IP to work for you, you MUST NEED to have a router that will support multi-WAN or using five router and have one PC to do the routing with 5 NIC and have a software to do the IP TEAMING.

Please note, all windows series can only have ONE default gateway.
Also, using the public IP from your ISP is asking for security risk.
And also, you PC are connecting to your ISP directly to their network and not from your router.
Finally, you may have problem connecting all your five PC communicating to each other to share resources.

There are many other method for those 5 public IP. All will be complicated and need extra equipement. Being a Corporation will be feasible but as a home or SOHO, it maybe too much. Having five IP from ISP sound and look nice but that all it is.
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CapFusion wrote:
Having five IP from your ISP is kind of useless. The only time 5 IP is usefull is to have all your LAN PC to use each as static to that IP provided from your ISP.

That's the idea... 5 Static IPs aren't useless at all, if you host many services. If I subscribe for the static IPs (they come in 5s), then I will mess around with the configuration until I get it right.
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so it is not useless with 5 IP, in your case.
How are you going to use 5 IP? Does your Router support 5 IP? Do any of your Windows can use 5 IP? Let say you have 5 PC and setup each 5 IP provide by your ISP, which IP will each PC use to get out to WWW from one router? Are you going to use all 5 PC attach directly to your broadband modem / router provided by your ISP?

Without using any router and just using the broadband modem from your ISP with 5 port. Do you have any appliance or some tool to combine those 5 IP? Are you aware of "IP Teaming"?

In short, how will you use all 5 IP?
I do not think "Linksys BEFSR41" will be able to use all 5 IP.

Do you have 5 IP or multiply public IP?
For home user or SOHO user, two IP is enough. One IP will do most of the work and the 2nd IP simply for testing for the first IP.

The use for multi-IP most deal with bigger network like a corporation. They can have separate scope for each division or department. The other use is for redundant, but still use by big network or corporation that have a true enterprise router and DO have this multi-IP support. The alternative low budget company can use IP teaming will complish this same task.

Again, I still do not see the use of 5 public IP for home user.
IP#1 - LAN with 1 or 2 PC or more
IP#2 - LAN with 1 PC
IP#3 - LAN with 1 PC
etc....
Do you have any mean of protection between your ISP / WWW and your PC?
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's the idea... 5 Static IPs aren't useless at all, if you host many services. If I subscribe for the static IPs (they come in 5s), then I will mess around with the configuration until I get it right.

Ok, you have 5 IP and want to multi-host. Where or about how you going to direct that each individual IP to your LAN to host this services?

Will this PC hosting this service is network to where? If it a router, does this router support IP teaming or multi-IP supported? Or well there any router involved? Are you going to have each 5 PC individually? Will this 5 PC network directly to that modem for each public IP?

I am looking for this solution myself with one of those budget router from Linksys / Netgear / D-Link etc....
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a multi-part question deserves a multi-part answer.

CapFusion wrote:
Does your Router support 5 IP?

That's what I'm getting at in this thread. I don't know the answer, so I am trying to find out.

CapFusion wrote:
Let say you have 5 PC and setup each 5 IP provide by your ISP, which IP will each PC use to get out to WWW from one router? Are you going to use all 5 PC attach directly to your broadband modem / router provided by your ISP?

Each PC will be assigned a static IP. I am planning to use a Modem > Router > PC setup, and I am most likely going to have to buy a new router that will support what I am trying to do.

CapFusion wrote:
Without using any router and just using the broadband modem from your ISP with 5 port. Do you have any appliance or some tool to combine those 5 IP? Are you aware of "IP Teaming"?

The modem I have does not have 5 ports, it only has 1. From what I see about "IP Teaming," it looks like you combine multiple IPs to get increased speed or efficiency. This isn't what I want to do.

CapFusion wrote:
In short, how will you use all 5 IP?

That's what it seems like you keep coming to, but that's not the matter. It doesn't matter what I do with the IPs, I am trying to figure out how I can even use all of the IPs.

CapFusion wrote:
The use for multi-IP most deal with bigger network like a corporation. They can have separate scope for each division or department. The other use is for redundant, but still use by big network or corporation that have a true enterprise router and DO have this multi-IP support. The alternative low budget company can use IP teaming will complish this same task.
CapFusion wrote:
Again, I still do not see the use of 5 public IP for home user. Do you have any mean of protection between your ISP / WWW and your PC?

None of that matters. The only thing I am stuck on is how I can even get to the point where I will be thinking about what to use them for, as I can't even use them now.

CapFusion wrote:
Where or about how you going to direct that each individual IP to your LAN to host this services?

That's what I'm trying to ask you. I don't know how to direct each individual IP through my LAN to each computer, which is why I started the thread in the first place.

Again, all PCs will most likely be running through a router. It doesn't sound like my current router supports multiple IPs, so I will have to look for something that does.

I didn't mean to sound rude in saying anything, so if you thought I was, I apologize.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said before, turn off NAT on the router, set the IPs for your other PCs either manually or by changing the DHCP scope to only cover those IPs. ARP will sort out the rest...
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IP teaming does not mean increase speed or connection just because you have more than one IP. Reason for that is - whatever connection speed you and your ISP contracted, it that speed that you purchased.

There no low end router will have multi-IP support. You will be looking at enterprise class router / modem.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*

You are looking at turning NAT off and setting static routes. Nothing more. Inanimate isn't asking about IP teaming, just using 5 individual public IPs for his network. It would be a pretty shoddy router that couldn't handle this, since this is exactly what a router is designed for. It certainly won't take an enterprise class one, although whether or not Inanimates router will allow this is another matter.

Here's an example using a Netopia router.

http://www.netopia.com/en-us/support/technotes/hardware/CQG_042.html

Example for Linksys on Bellsouth :

http://bellsouth.netfirms.com/Linksys/bellsouth_5_static_ip_configurat.htm
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymoose, it seems you have the right idea here. Although they aren't my ISP, the Bellsouth guide looks pretty promising in setting up the correct routing. With a litte necessary tweaking, I can probably get it to work properly.

Thank you for your time.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAT turn-off or disable and just assign static IP of that ISP provided, then your PC is direct connection to WWW. I do not recommend disable NAT, reason due to security. You pretty much exposing yourself.
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, disabling NAT does pose some security risk, however I am going to just have to lock down my machine as well as I can... (I will most likely be running Linux).
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm.....
Using Linux may not really help in regarding about security. Linux just have lesser target group compare to Windows [VERY huge group]. You will diffinitely need a good firewall. Or better yet, have some kind of appliance in front before your PC.
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are services in Windows (such as NetBIOS) that are better off disabled, because they cause such a security risk. Linux, on the other hand, doesn't have NetBIOS. There are also no viruses for Linux.
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For linux regarding abot virus. It still there but not as many when compare to Windows series. BUT virus will target Linux.
Linux is not vulnerable either in security.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-9260.html
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/06/linux_vs_windows_viruses/
Older version -
http://www.sfu.ca/~siegert/linux-security/msg00082.html

Linux is just a lesser target when compare to Windows.
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymoose wrote:
If your ISP is selling blocks of IPs they should have some setup details buried on their site. Basically, you turn off NAT and setup static routes for each IP afaik. What's the full model number for your router ?

That is how I set up multiple WAN IP addresses on a friends computer. This was with a Netgear DG834G but your linksys router will be very similar.

We did this so my friend could have game and web servers with different IP addresses.

This picture shows multiple IP's and your router would replace the first switch in this setup. As the DG834G has an internal modem and wireless point it would replace the modem and switch.

I just made sure DHCP and NAT were disabled and then that solved the problems.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that diagram.

Now theoretically, if you have 5 WAN IP addresses, but 6 computers connected to say a switch, what happens to the 6th computer?
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not 100% sure but the answer may be to connect a router. At the prices you can get them for these days it would probably be a good option.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I already have a router. I'm just wondering what would happen.
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure but if you bought another router you could plug it into your current router and it would give you space for more computers to be connected to the internet.

Or I suppose you could use ICS on one of your computers and install a second NIC in it to connect to the last computer with crossover cable.

Just a couple of options
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 6th PC, you can set it to your private IP [LAN].
You can have one of your Public IP router to become DHCP. Or setup one PC for routing. Your 6th PC will need to use one of those five router for gateway to get access for WWW.

The 6 PC connect to a switch on one of those 5 PC, nothing. When I say nothing, it really depend on what the function of that router set to. If it set to NAT [DHCP], then your 6 PC will get an IP [LAN IP]. But if it disable /off, it get nothing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: