Does anyone run a DNS Server?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you run your own DNS Server?
yes, with bind
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
no, i use zoneedit
90%
 90%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 10

gymboy689
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Does anyone run a DNS Server? Reply with quote

Does anyone here actually have a DNS server? if you answer other on the poll, respond with what that "other" is
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use BIND. Does that count?

I've also used the Windows DNS server.
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: DNS servers Reply with quote

If you run your own DNS server can you have any domain name that is not already taken? Is it possible to get a free DNS server that anyone other than an expert can set up? (I have tried bind and didn't have a clue what to do with it)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, and no.

If you can't get through the manual, you should stick with ZoneEdit. You can only use a domain name that you have registered - just creating your own DNS server and making up names won't work.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
alsomegamemaka
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Hmm Reply with quote

How the heck did you set up bind lol. Is your domian name from bind?

Expert at: HTML, PHP, MYSQL, WWW, GM
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic. - Even for old thread started in June 13.

gymboy689,
What are you trying to get at, regarding DNS server?

blackarib,
If you paying for OS like Windows 2000 / 2003 server, you are paying for it. But if you want a public name for your DNS, you will add another cost to it. But if you already have a Domain name, you can use that without getting another. You can have multi-DNS server but you will need one PC for each DNS server. You can use IP without a name like normal - NS1.yourdomain.com etc. You simply use your public IP since the PC from remote know and hardcode your IP to their TCP/IP setting as primary / secondary DNS ... etc....

Anonymoose,
If your DNS server is local [LAN], you can make up any name you like. But normally you will be using IP. Each LAN PC will point to your internal DNS server. If you have multi-DNS, you can set your LAN PC as primary DNS, Secondary DNS... etc.... Each DNS server will need to point to one other on Primary and the secondary will need to point to itself. Have forwarder to your ISP DNS server to resolve remote or unknown record.

If you want your DNS as public DNS, you can use your IP or if you have a TLD, then simply use that DOMAIN name [FQDN].
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was just curious, which is what i was tryin to get at
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask about DNS. Didn't you as for a poll?
Quote:
Does anyone here actually have a DNS server? if you answer other on the poll, respond with what that "other" is

So what are you getting at?
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm confused, but it sounds like he is just asking who runs a DNS server on their computer instead of using one that is provided.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That the reason why I ask what his reason and intension regarding DNS. The poll is asking if anyone use DNS and if so, - does that include bind or zonedit. I am not quite sure if OP understand what DNS about.

From what I think I understand from his question.
Anyone own DNS server. If so, - with bind or zonedit.

OP did not explan what bind or zonedit referring to from his term and understanding.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CapFusion wrote:
From what I think I understand from his question.
Anyone own DNS server. If so, - with bind or zonedit.

That's not how I see it. He is saying to me: Do you run a DNS server? Yes, I do with BIND, or No, I don't--I use ZoneEdit. (Basically straight from the poll). ZoneEdit isn't considered a DNS server, because it is managed by someone else. There was a previous discussion I (and a couple others) had with him about running a DNS server, and he tried BIND, and couldn't set it up (after I told him many times that it is a pain in the ass to set up). After the conversation ended, he started this new thread.

It sounds like he is basically testing how adept the forum users are...
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iNaNimAtE,
Thanks.
I was not aware he had another thread / discussion about this. I should have check. I was been out of Aprelium awhile and decided to check-in if there any changes.

gymboy689,
Ok, back you to.
Regarding about Bind, you can check if your DNS is enable or not from your 2000/ 2003 DNS server. There will be a Bind in Advance. You can either have it "check mark" or not. Since I am out in the field right now, this is the best or closest I can point / direct you to. As soon I get back in to my office, I can provide better location. Otherwise, Bind is in DNS from advance area where you see Forwarder tab ... etc...
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going 2 purchase a domain name. it says i need two name servers. Is the second one just if the first isnt working? can i put the first one as the dyndns.org address of my computer "z.blogdns.com" and the other as ns1.sitelutions.com (where i have set up an account)?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
goose
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does it matter ....just as long he his happy to serve ;p

lol

mawuahahaha :)
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am going 2 purchase a domain name. it says i need two name servers

What / who ask you to purchase a domain name? DNS do not require to have domain name.
If you have a NT server/2000 server / 2003 server, it have a DNS server built in.
Do you know what a DNS server is and what it use for? Is there a reason why you think you need a DNS server?
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WANT to get a domain name and for my domain name it says that i need to give the address of two nameservers. I have got posadis dns server. I know that a dns server tells anyone wanting to go to my address the ip number of all the servers ie web, ftp, mail etc.
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I WANT to get a domain name and for my domain name it says that i need to give the address of two nameservers.

I am not sure what this mean or simply I did not understand it.
Do you have a DNS server running locally? Or you using a DNS from your ISP?
If you have DNS server locally [actual PC not a router] and have DHCP server, the DNS is set to the DHCP setting. When any LAN PC request anything, it will point to the DNS or otherwise forward this request to your ISP DNS.

Quote:
I have got posadis dns server. I know that a dns server tells anyone wanting to go to my address the ip number of all the servers ie web, ftp, mail etc.

Is "posadis dns server" belong to you locally or it belong to someplace other than LAN? If it belong to you and it local, your friend or whomever outside your LAN will not use this DNS to locate your FTP, web ... etc. They use their own ISP DNS. The only time they can use your DNS if you have set or create a public DNS that is outside your LAN.
I do not recommend creating or making a public DNS unless you trully know or understand security risk issue involve. One major risk is to expose your LAN side to the public.

If you have a small LAN network like say about 3 PC or maybe 5 PC locally, you do not really need a DNS server. A simple Router that point to your ISP DNS will do.
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not currently use a dns server but i am going to when i buy my domain name. i simply want to run my own dns server to avoid paying about $30 a year for them to run one for me.
I only have one computer and it is directly connected to the internet, no lan.
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i simply want to run my own dns server to avoid paying about $30 a year for them to run one for me.

That is interesting. ISP require you to pay for DNS service?

Quote:
I only have one computer and it is directly connected to the internet, no lan.

With only one PC and want to have DNS server, it is about the same as trying to kill a fly with a sleghammer.
If you still insist a DNS server -
Build another PC and install a 2000 server or 2003 server and or SBS 2003. Add or create a DNS service.
Or
Use the current PC and upgrade to 2000 server or 2003 server or SBS 2003.

I am still trying very hard to understand why your ISP will charge you extra DNS serivce but not as a package. I must be missing something here. Maybe you might seriously consider switching to another ISP.

In US, AOL would be consider better if I have to compare to your ISP with the extra DNS service charge.

Or you can try to use a public DNS by search with Google. Public DNS tend to be unreliable.
-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not the isp that requires me to pay for dns. It is dot.tk that are going to make me, it want to buy one of their domains and you either need to have the address of two nameservers or pay them about $30 dolars a year for them to run name servers for you. Sorry if I am expaining this to you badly.
senshi
-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is dot.tk that are going to make me, it want to buy one of their domains and you either need to have the address of two nameservers or pay them about $30 dolars a year for them to run name servers for you.

Ok, I think I understand why you need or think you need a DNS server. From what I can understand [I think], you still do not need to use Dot.tk DNS service when you purchase a Domain Name from them. Pretend you have purchase a domain name "www.blackarib.com", your protential user will use their ISP DNS to locate your "www.blackarib" site. How will they find your site, well.... As soon you have register "blackarib.com" from dot.tk, it will proprogate to all DNS server / registrar [simple matter of speaking} This will not take immediately affect but take about a day or two. Your user ISP DNS will know there will be "blackarib.com" out there.

To find you or your server, you need to tell your "blackarib.com" where to point to. So you need to configure to set your public IP where you can be located.

Note - You do not need a DNS server on your end to have your user find your server.
When you setup your own DNS server, this DNS server will help YOU to locate other out there. Not direct them to you. If you do not know how to setup correctly, you may open some security risk for yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: