Error 404 when creating new directory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
msch-prv
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Error 404 when creating new directory Reply with quote

I keep on getting 'Error 404 File not found' when I attempt to run an asp file in a newly created sub-directory of htdocs. The same file will however run fine in a 'sister' directory. I shut down/opened the server multiple times and rebooted the PC w/o success.

I noticed the same effect if a directory file is renamed. For instance, default.asp will work fine in dir tmp1 but will yield an 'Error 404' when run from tmp2. It seems Abyss does not recognize newly created or modified directories in my config. I'm using Abyss Web Server X1 (v 2.3.2) with ActiveHTML.

TIA for any hints.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Error 404 when creating new directory Reply with quote

msch-prv,

First of all, we strongly suggest that you use the latest version of X1. 2.3.2 is very old and it costs nothing to get the latest 2.5.

Abyss Web Server does not need to restart to access newly created folders or files. It will check for them when you browse a URL and it reports error 404 when the path you're accessing does not exist.

Sometimes minor typos or aliases can result in error 404 so check the exact URL you're typing and verify if it corresponds to your file/directory names. Do you have some aliases that may cause Abyss Web Server to seek for the file in a different directory?
msch-prv
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I updated the SW but the issue remains.

I was able to find a work-around by changing the Documents Path in the console General tab to point back to the asp directory (default is the aspx directory since I normally work with ASP.NET).

What puzzles me however is figuring out why certain asp files render fine while new/modified ones won't. Either all asp files should render or none. Regards.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msch-prv wrote:
I was able to find a work-around by changing the Documents Path in the console General tab to point back to the asp directory (default is the aspx directory since I normally work with ASP.NET).

What puzzles me however is figuring out why certain asp files render fine while new/modified ones won't. Either all asp files should render or none. Regards.

This could be an issue related to aliases. If you need a better explanation of what's going wrong, please send your abyss.conf file to support@aprelium.com and let us know the URLs that did no work as expected and what files have you changed without seeing any effect (with their full paths in the hard drive).
verainput
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Error 404 when creating new directory Reply with quote

Hello Wullie

Thanks you very much for your interesting and useful example.
anyway, i did try your code. but it not seem to work

i got error message :
openDatabase viriable doesnt recogniz when i use in 404.asp

could you give me some hinst ?

thanks
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
dmdqlett
-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

404 means there is no page ,that is all i know
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Classic ASP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: