Problem Serving PDFs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobN
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Problem Serving PDFs Reply with quote

I'm running Abyss to test web sites before publishing them.

I've had no problems to date - have probably been using it for 6 months.

I just ran into a problem with PDF files.

My browser is Firefox 3.6.17.

I have pages which have links to PDF files which are part of the site. When I click one of the links, the PDF does not load - I'm loading into a new tab and I just get a blank page.

I thought I'd look at what was "sent" and tried to to look at the page source - the option was grayed out in the FF menus.

I did a "file open" on the PDF and FF was able to load it in the browser.

I put a the same PDF that Abyss in a test directory on my hosting server and when I entered the URL for the PDF, the file was opened correctly in FF.

I did some searching about problems and found a page at Adobe and a section that seems to describe what I'm encountering -

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/328/328233.html#main_Open%20a%20local%20copy

The page talks of the server having problems serving PDF files.

Is there a known problem with Abyss and PDF files?

"Help About" for Abyss shows me X1 V2.7

I have no other problems with Abyss. I have PHP installed and it works fine - everything I've tried to date works - except the PDFs.

Any thoughts?

-- hang on - it just got a bit more dicey.

I was proof reading the message, above, and when I read the line saying that I was using FF I thought that I should check the issue with IE. I have IE8 installed.

I fired it up, went to the page on the web site I'm testing locally, and clicked one of the links for a PDF and was surprised to see it load correctly in IE.

Now, I have never had problems with PDF files on the web, only when running Abyss server to test these web sites locally system.

So - does anyone know of a fix for the problem - getting PDF files, served by Abyss properly, using FF.

A bit more information.

A couple of days ago I was playing with iframes. I want to be able to display a PDF on a page while reserving part of the page for comments and controls.

I made up a page with the iframe and an onload function to load the PDF into the iframe when the page loaded.

It didn't work. I tried it several times and looked for any error messages and found none.

Thinking it might be a timing problem of some sort, I added a link to the page to call the same function to set the SRC for the iframe. I loaded the page, clicked the link and the PDF loaded in the iframe.

Seems to me that this may be the same problem as I described above.

Just guessing, it seems that the problem may related to when the PDF is requested. If that test page tried to load the PDF on the onload event, it did not work.

When I added the manual load and clicked the link, the PDF opened properly.

And this problem I ran into tonight may be related in that the attempt is to open a PDF alone, not as part of a page and not using a manual link.

Any help will be appreciated.

************* Update

I tried loading one of the PDFs and then started Firebug, the FF debugger.

When I looked at the page using Firebug, I saw the following HTML:

Code:
<html>
<head>
<title>2000-07-24ArticlesOfOrganization.pdf (application/pdf Object)</title>
</head>
<body marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
<embed height="100%" width="100%" name="plugin" src="http://127.0.0.1/files/texas/sosdirect/bradley/2000-07-24ArticlesOfOrganization.pdf" type="application/pdf">
</body>
</html>

Just thought I'd post it, maybe it will help find the problem.

*** More info

I used the Firefox File menu Open item to open one of the PDFs in FF and then started Firebug.

Here is what it showed for the page -

Code:
<html>
<head>
<title>2000-07-24ArticlesOfOrganization.pdf (application/pdf Object)</title>
</head>
<body marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
<embed height="100%" width="100%" name="plugin" src="file:///C:/www.jonpsalmonds.net/__%20ALL%20NEW%20SITE/jprootfolder/files/texas/sosdirect/bradley/2000-07-24ArticlesOfOrganization.pdf" type="application/pdf">
</body>
</html>

Except for the protocol, file:// instead of http:// when going through the Abyss server, it appears to be the same.

Bob
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Axis
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob--

I have pdf's on one of my abyss sites and have no problem. I would try a couple things. I know adobe has changed the way it's add-on for browsers has changed (for the better in my opinion.) You might want to check on that as well as, perhaps updating FF. Latest version is 8.0

Regards,
Axis
BobN
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axis wrote:
Hi Bob--

I have pdf's on one of my abyss sites and have no problem. I would try a couple things. I know adobe has changed the way it's add-on for browsers has changed (for the better in my opinion.) You might want to check on that as well as, perhaps updating FF. Latest version is 8.0

Regards,
Axis

I upgraded FF from 3.6.17 to 3.6.24 and the problem is gone.

I don't want to update to the "newest greatest, etc." FF (4) because what I've seen says the FF people have continued to fight the browser wars and have gone too much towards appearance than function.

You simply don't change a user interface unless you ABSOLUTELY have to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: