Problems understanding Port settup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
helepolis
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:12 am    Post subject: Problems understanding Port settup Reply with quote

It seems I have that same problems as many other entries here. My local machine can see the default page fine but any other computers on the network can not and those outside the router can not. I have read through quite a few similar entries but here I am still.

-I run XP on all the machines (3)
-I have a Netgear Np614 router
The forwarding is set to port 80 and the host machine's ip not the one detected by outside software
-Firewall is disabled on all machines
-After Abyss installation I can not set the server configuration port to 80 as I get an error saying it is being used by some other application.
-Therefore I have it set to 8000
-The Abyss console port is set to 81

-I also check my port 80 and it open. Used www.grc.com shields up
-The best that I can tell is that my router port forwarding is working as that is the site that NetGear suggested to test my ports

I am only able to see 127.0.0.1:8000 via the local machine and no others.
Anyone got any ideas?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:20 am    Post subject: AN Reply with quote

helepolis wrote:
It seems I have that same problems as many other entries here. My local machine can see the default page fine but any other computers on the network can not and those outside the router can not. I have read through quite a few similar entries but here I am still.

-I run XP on all the machines (3)
-I have a Netgear Np614 router
The forwarding is set to port 80 and the host machine's ip not the one detected by outside software
-Firewall is disabled on all machines
-After Abyss installation I can not set the server configuration port to 80 as I get an error saying it is being used by some other application.
-Therefore I have it set to 8000
-The Abyss console port is set to 81

-I also check my port 80 and it open. Used www.grc.com shields up
-The best that I can tell is that my router port forwarding is working as that is the site that NetGear suggested to test my ports

I am only able to see 127.0.0.1:8000 via the local machine and no others.
Anyone got any ideas?

If local machines cannot see yours, that means that something is blocking the access to your machine. XP has an integrated firewall so you should disable it. Some other software may cause that (such as protection stuff).
In your case, you should first try to make the other machines on your LAN access to your computer (using its LAN Ip of course). Once done, the router will do its job correctly as your settings seem to be OK.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have checked each machine's firewall, they are all disabled. Each machine is able to access my machine fine, upload, download, dir access and that such and my machine is able to access other computers on the network.

Here are my settings again maybe I messed something up

Router:
--forwarding set to HTTP port 80 local machine IP for Lan (not IP shown by 3rd party software)
--I accessed the router's homepage (netgear) not much was said on my brand, I then access www.grc.com shield's up which test access of port and my port 80 is open to the world.

Local machine and Abyss setup
--Port set to 8000 (could not set to 80 as it said it was being used or blocked) in server configuration.
--Console port set to 81

I am able to access on local machine using http://127.0.0.1:8000/

but on other machines I can not access
helepolis
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:04 am    Post subject: Additional info Reply with quote

The guest above is me forgot to sign in.

Also I am not running any anti hack or anti virus software at the present time on any machines so I would not have any conflict from them.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Additional info Reply with quote

helepolis wrote:
The guest above is me forgot to sign in.

Also I am not running any anti hack or anti virus software at the present time on any machines so I would not have any conflict from them.

May be our suggestion is stupid, but you should not use http://127.0.0.1:8000 from other machines. This IP is your local IP (local to your computer not local to your LAN.)
You LAN IP should be something like 192.168.0.1. You can know it by running the winipcfg.exe program or ipconfig.exe. From other machines you should then use http://192.168.0.1:8000 .
If this is still not the solution to your problem, let us know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: