Listening error on Port 80

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redlion
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Listening error on Port 80 Reply with quote

Hi, I have switched my installation back to Abyss X1, on my Ubuntu 11.04 box... and updated to the latest version. I am now running only one website, my own. I got everything installed (I thought) and tweaked correctly (I thought) but when I try to run the server I get "Listening error" in the console. Any ideas? Website should be up at brashley46.no-ip.info ...
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
redlion
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching off Skype made not difference either.

Further to this, when I switch to Port 8000 I see no problem. I suppose i shall have to log into my no-ip account and switch that port ... unless there is another solution?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the process already running?

Is there a different listener process running?

I'm not too good with Linux, but I swear there's a command where you can see what is using each port, etc...
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know, Toasty. I've shut everything down and am going to do a reinstall ... & open Port 8000 right from the get-go. This was so much easier on Windows, but that box died.
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this link will help?

http://www.clarksys.com/blog/2006/03/31/list-ports-and-processes-on-linux/

Check that out before you go through all the work of a reinstall!!
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Listening error on Port 80 Reply with quote

redlion,

If you are running Abyss Web Server from your normal user account you can't have access to ports < 1024. Only the root user has access to these ports.

So the clean solution on Linux is to install Abyss Web Server as a daemon. This way, it will run from the root account to get the ports < 1024 and will later switch to a less privileged user account (for obvious security reasons).

The procedure is explained in http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159000#159000 .
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
redlion
-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Aprelium, I wll look into that!
redlion
-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Listening error on Port 80 Reply with quote

That worked, I am back online! Thank you. The only refinement I have to make is that I had to run
Code:
./autostart-setup install
as
Code:
sudo ./autostart-setup install
to get it to work.
admin wrote:
redlion,

If you are running Abyss Web Server from your normal user account you can't have access to ports < 1024. Only the root user has access to these ports.

So the clean solution on Linux is to install Abyss Web Server as a daemon. This way, it will run from the root account to get the ports < 1024 and will later switch to a less privileged user account (for obvious security reasons).

The procedure is explained in http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159000#159000 .

admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Listening error on Port 80 Reply with quote

redlion wrote:
That worked, I am back online! Thank you. The only refinement I have to make is that I had to run
Code:
as
Code:
to get it to work.

Strange. The script contains a call to sudo. We'll check why it did not work as expected.
Forum Administrator
redlion
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Listening error on Port 80 Reply with quote

admin wrote:
redlion wrote:
Code:
as
Code:
to get it to work.

Strange. The script contains a call to sudo. We'll check why it did not work as expected.

Ubuntu is easy for a non-geek to work with, which is why I like it, but a lot of it is not Linux-standard code that way. Or the usual for GNU I guess I should say.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Listening error on Port 80 Reply with quote

redlion wrote:
admin wrote:
redlion wrote:
Code:
as
Code:
to get it to work.

Ubuntu is easy for a non-geek to work with, which is why I like it, but a lot of it is not Linux-standard code that way. Or the usual for GNU I guess I should say.

Contrarily to the popular belief, Ubuntu is fairly standard as it is built upon the venerable Debian distribution (and remains compatible with it). Some issues come from the choice of certain low level libraries or combination of tools which are not relevant even to the purists.

We used to use Debian and Redhat (before it became Fedora) but we started moving slowly to Ubuntu and our last world facing servers are all powered with Ubuntu too.
Forum Administrator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: