To Connect or Not Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
svankamon
-

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: To Connect or Not Connect Reply with quote

Hi, i have lots of sites spread over 9 servers. However ive got a pretty damaging problem in that the sites require users to donload and upload images etc. What kind of connection would be sufficient to have the sites live.

After getting my shop sites online i would have iliked to offer users hosting services and have approx 500 users. Im not that clued up so would like any advise you may have regarding this issue.

The problem here is that the lines i have researched are way beyond the average guys budget and i am an average guy.?

Thanks for any assistance.

Included Sites: Forums, dating, classifieds etc.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: To Connect or Not Connect Reply with quote

svankamon wrote:
Hi, i have lots of sites spread over 9 servers. However ive got a pretty damaging problem in that the sites require users to donload and upload images etc. What kind of connection would be sufficient to have the sites live.

All depends on the traffic your user generate. In other words, how many GB do they read from your site daily and how many GB do they upload also?

This is the only metric that will help you decide about the kind of connection and its required bandwidth.
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
svankamon
-

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Unsure Reply with quote

Im actually unsure as i have no reference. It seems the answer to your queery is that i must (for instance):

1. decide on a number of users. 500 (lets say)
2. decide on bandwidth limits for those users. (lets say 1gb PM)

This is the only answer i have to your reply, but thanks, any info based on what i replied would be helpful and/or advise on where i can go to make some informed? calculations. I would then have a better idea as to connection type?

From what ive read it seems a standard BT connection could handle 20 users? not sure though?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsure Reply with quote

svankamon wrote:
Im actually unsure as i have no reference. It seems the answer to your queery is that i must (for instance):

1. decide on a number of users. 500 (lets say)
2. decide on bandwidth limits for those users. (lets say 1gb PM)

This is the only answer i have to your reply, but thanks, any info based on what i replied would be helpful and/or advise on where i can go to make some informed? calculations. I would then have a better idea as to connection type?

From what ive read it seems a standard BT connection could handle 20 users? not sure though?

Sorry for getting back to you so lately on that question. We missed your reply.

The 500 users won't connect all on the same time. And even if they did, they won't all be downloading data on the same time. What counts is the number of concurrent connections your site will generate with that expected number of users.

A 1 Gb per day of data on 500 visitors makes your site relatively low traffic and you won't handle typically more than 10 concurrent connections at the same time. So if you'd offer them a 8MB/s connection, each will have around 800 KB/s ~ 100 Kb (Kilobyte) per second which is a lot of bandwidth (unless you want to offer them an super-fast download speed for a video site).
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: