I am havingLinksys troubles after forwarding ports and such.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xhorntail
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: I am havingLinksys troubles after forwarding ports and such. Reply with quote

OK, I have had many problems with my router in the past, and I want to solve this once and for all. When I forward a port, my router doesn't care, It just bypasses the forward and blocks anyway. So after browsing for a god 30 min and reading up, theres a checkbox somewhere that says "block WAN requests" and it was enabled! So I disable the option, and go to http://www.dslreports.com/scan/ (pre-disabling this option, my computer would not respond to ANYTHING from this site.) and the report I get shows the my ports get pinged now! just to no avail in connecting... (I get a no-response packet back, I used to get no packet back at all...)
These are the end results:

Code:
Your Results for this scan
Conclusion: Possible Problem! We did get information from scanning your ports, this information could encourage attackers to probe further. Do you know why you are advertising these services to the net? perhaps installation of a firewall, or reconfiguration of your firewall to be more secure, would provide peace of mind.
TCP default : CLOSED We received a response packet that no service is available.
TCP 21 : FILTERED No response packet was received.
 9 - Read

TCP 25 : FILTERED No response packet was received.
 3 - Read

TCP 80 : FILTERED No response packet was received.
 15 - Read

TCP 135 : FILTERED No response packet was received.
 19 - Read

TCP 136 : FILTERED No response packet was received.
 1 - Read

TCP 137 : FILTERED No response packet was received.
 2 - Read

TCP 138 : FILTERED No response packet was received.
 1 - Read

TCP 139 : FILTERED No response packet was received.
 11 - Read

TCP 445 : FILTERED No response packet was received.
 3 - Read

TCP 456 : FILTERED No response packet was received.
 Post!

TCP 593 : FILTERED No response packet was received.
 1 - Read

TCP 666 : FILTERED No response packet was received.
 1 - Read

TCP 1433 : FILTERED No response packet was received.
 1 - Read

TCP 4444 : FILTERED No response packet was received.
 1 - Read

UDP ALL : FILTERED No response packet was received.

As you can see, It shows that port 80 is registering now, but not allowing traffic... eventhough I have forwarded it!

All and any help always apreciated!
-Horntail
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, check the simple things, like: make sure Abyss is working, make sure you used port forwarding to the right IP, and make sure the external IP you use hasen't changed.

Otherwise, try a function called "DMZ" which puts your computer in front of your router. If it works with this on, then you can go ahead and try port forwarding again.
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sytems are go! I have AByss running, port firwarding is all correct, (i did double check after you said thath though;) IP has not changed, and DMZ host wont work.
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iNaNimAtE, unless the you know the user is *very* confident in their security configuration, I would never recommend they move their host into the DMZ without first confirming -

* They have a personal firewall and it is configured correctly
* They are totally up to date on MS patches

Recommending a move into the DMZ without knowing this first is like asking them to jump in front of a bus 8O

Xhorntail, have you checked your ISP allows web servers ? If they don't (or even if they don't mention it) they may be blocking port 80 - it would still show as filtered on the DSLReports scan as as far as it would see your port 80 requests would be dropped. Try changing the port that is forwarded on the router to a random higher number, e.g 82 / 8000+ - you don't need to change the port Abyss is running on, just forward the higher port to your normal Abyss port...
Xhorntail
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shouldnt be my ISP unless there blocking ALL packets... I can not open up any ports...
And i am not new to .system protection, I am very knowledged in the hacking aspect, and I am aware of what a DMZ host will do, thanks for the concern though ;)
Xhorntail
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, never mind guys, this problem is now irrelevent and you probably will not see me on these forums or many other forums that require forwarding ports from now on... Apparently if I forward port 80 completely, (yes, I figured it out, what was wrong, and how to fix it...) people will get into my system, bypass both my hardware firewalls, and one software firewall... Frankley, I dont beleive this can happen, but apparently my uncle thinks that a hacker hardcore enough to do this through port 80 will come after us because I was using Abyss or something... Then the would get our credit card info and such and financially rape us... Whatever, I beleive Abyss is secure, and this cannot be acheived via port 80, but because my uncle owns me and thinks the hackers are all after him I cant do anything that concersn a server of any kind. So So-Long and Farewell my friends. I am going to now walk away with the shards of my dreams in my hands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: