Running Abyss Server as a system service on NT/2K/XP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlehde
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Running Abyss Server as a system service on NT/2K/XP Reply with quote

There's a program out there "FireDaemon" that will allow you to set up basically any app as a system service. Here's how to set it up: (important: read the last line at the bottom)

1) download and install FireDaemon, it has a free version, but you'll probably end up buying the Pro version ($25 and well worth it)

2) Turn off "Auto Start" on your server, this will avoid the server attempting to run multiple instances

3) Completely shut down your server

4) Open FireDaemon Service Manager and create a new service definition (the button on the left)

5) for "Short Name" enter anything you want to...no spaces or special characters here. This will go into your registry

6) for "Display Name" just put something like Abyss Web Server, or anything you want. This is displayed in the Windows Service Applet

7) for "description" write whatever you want it described as, no big whoop, you can always change this stuff

8 ) Next, go to ""Working Directory" and browse to the abyss install folder where "abyssws.exe" is located

9) Go to "Executable" and browse to "abyssws.exe"

10) Click "install" and you're done click the X to get out

11) your server is now working in the background, to access the control panel just follow a link to <hostname or IP>:<Console Port> and you're there.

If you want the control in the taskbar, you can have the best of both worlds

1a) After you did the above and you are back at the main FireDaemon screen, click on the Abyss setting you just set up and select "Edit the selected service", it's the button w/ the hammer on it

2a) Select the "settings" tab

3a) check the "Interact with desktop box"

4a) click "install" and again. It will ask you if you want to stop the service and proceed?" click "OK"

5a) Click the X to get out of the setup screen, and close FireDaemon

6a) pat yourself on the back because you just beat the whiny Microsoft system

IMPORTANT NOTE: you will NOT be able to totally close your web server through the taskbar, it will automatically restart, unless you change the "upon program exit" setting. this works for both user terminations and crashes. (never had a crash, thanks guys!). Go Here for full FireDaemon documentation

Have fun! :D
Back to top View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, real good, thanks for posting this short guide on making Abyss into a service :)
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just reformatted my PC and installed Windows 2000 Pro (previously had Windows 98SE), so a lot of stuff is new to me, such as running things as a "service".

Can someone please explain in plain English what this means? :)

I'm going to reinstall my Abyss Web Server, but not until I know how to use this OS better. Security is my main priority.
-

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For something such as this; could you make it so it runs when your computer's in standby? Or is that not even possible, since that "freezes" your services and applications...? It would be so much easier for me. That's pretty cool, I was looking for that...
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thats what im wondering , can the web server even function when your computer is in stand by mode running as a service :?:
-

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but what is a point of running Abyss running as a service? Does it increase performance? :?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way i see it is a system service is just a web server that automaticaly starts when your computer starts there for Abyss Web Server is already a system service 8O
-

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

running it as a service means that it a) loads once OS is booted computer (no need for manual start) and b) runs regardless of whether or not you are logged in.
A service can be many different things, not just a web server (e.g. McAfee Firewall runs once OS has loaded, even if you haven't logged in.)
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s1asher wrote:
running it as a service means that it a) loads once OS is booted computer (no need for manual start) and b) runs regardless of whether or not you are logged in.
A service can be many different things, not just a web server (e.g. McAfee Firewall runs once OS has loaded, even if you haven't logged in.)

Thanks for the explanation! I've been reading the manual, and this helps a lot as well. :)
-

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

np. Glad to have helped :)
DarkSim905
-

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this program for Internet Explorer. (I thik it's causing SOME problems, but I'm not sure). The reason is so it keeps my connection online. I've always had problems with my computer... This program is cool though; I accidetnly close an Window of IE, and another pops up in 3 seconds. :D
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
pvfdsparky
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, very nice. I've been looking for something like this.

~Ryan
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wmwilliams
-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Thanks very much for the help.
eworldsytes
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: cool tutorial Reply with quote

thanks for posting that. i just downloaded firedaemon and had trouble installing Abyss as a service until I read the tutorial.
KyleMeers
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol This may seem stupid but I was directed here from a site. And I decided to join to see what it was about, I downloaded the abyss web server. And I was wondering, hmm What is it for?
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Web serving ?
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Almost there... Reply with quote

Ok, I have FireDaemon setup, and Abyss IS running as a service, HOWEVER, each time I browse to http://127.0.0.1:port#/ my Admin screen comes up and asks me to set a password and username. It keeps blanking out all my info, and resetting the server to default settings.

Wot up with that? :?
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, nevermind. I added the Logon info in the FireDaemon program, and it's fine now.

Great tutorial! Great program! :)
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: It's for hosting a web site Reply with quote

Just as you have browsers for looking at a web site, the computer on which the web site resides has to have software for sending out the pages of a site whenever someone browses it. Abyss is software that will do that, i.e., it is a web server. You may want to browse the documentation pages: http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/doc.html

Regards,

Bill
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: It's for hosting a web site Reply with quote

wspollack wrote:
Just as you have browsers for looking at a web site, the computer on which the web site resides has to have software for sending out the pages of a site whenever someone browses it. Abyss is software that will do that, i.e., it is a web server. You may want to browse the documentation pages: http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/doc.html

Regards,

Bill

I assume you're speaking to Anonymoose, right?
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Nope, for KyleMeers>>> Reply with quote

Nope, I was responding to KyleMeers' question of 04 Feb 2004:

"Lol This may seem stupid but I was directed here from a site. And I decided to join to see what it was about, I downloaded the abyss web server. And I was wondering, hmm What is it for?"

It appears I messed up in posting my answer at a relevant spot, but my intent was to briefly answer that question. Sorry about the confusion.

Regards,

Bill
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha... that's hilarious.

Sadly, it shows you the danger of human curiosity. Someone, not knowing what he/she is doing, willingly downloaded an unknown piece of software. (There's nothing wrong with Abyss itself, I'm just showing the problem here).

Rule #1: Please be smart when it comes to computing. If you don't know what you're doing, then don't do it; or at least read up. If you can't do that, then I suggest you not use a computer.

This was not directed towards anyone in particular, but it seemed necessary to give a "heads up."
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I'm having that same problem again!

Every time I shut down the computer and reboot, it blanks out all my server settings (admin passwords, etc...). It didn't used to do this until I started using FireDaemon.

Anyone else using FireDaemon having this problem? Also, I'm on Windows XP. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you need to run FireDaemon? Are multiple users logging on/off?
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iNaNimAtE wrote:
Why do you need to run FireDaemon? Are multiple users logging on/off?

I don't "need" to run FireDaemon. I want to use FireDaemon, so I can run Abyss as a service.

Before you ask why I need to run Abyss as a service, I don't "need" to. I want to. :wink:
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. Well, I don't have a solution to the service problem. All I can say is; don't run it as a service... hehe...
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Using FireDaemon, no problem... now >>> Reply with quote

I've been running Abyss via FireDaemon on XP Home (with multiple accounts active, for family members) for a couple months now, without any problems. However, earlier, two or three times I did have the sort of problem you described, i.e., the config file being reset to its default state. I don't know whether that problem was the result of a quirk in Abyss, XP, or FireDaemon, but I solved it by writing a program, abyss-restarter, that I run every morning at 5AM (via Windows Scheduler). That program backs up the config file (just in case I ever have that problem again, in which case I can overwrite abyss.conf with one of the backup copies), restarts FireDaemon/Abyss, and for good measure creates or appends to monthly log files (truncating access.log). You can find this program (and the scheduler I use), if interested, at:

http://www.billanddot.com/downloads.htm

The bottom line here is that whatever the cause of the problem was, it has disappeared now, apparently as a result of my restarting Abyss every day. For me (and any users at the time), this results in, typically, a nine-second interruption of service, and I can live with that. BTW, I typically reboot about once a week or two, mostly for MS security patches.

Regards,

Bill
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Using FireDaemon, no problem... now >>> Reply with quote

wspollack,

The problem is caused by the way Firedaemon stops Abyss. It simply kills Abyss process (instead of sending a QUIT request as any Windows software expects). So sometimes Abyss don't have the time to write the abyss.conf file and close it correctly. abyss.conf is simply left in an unstable state (or empty).

Last edited by aprelium on Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
wspollack
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Thanks, and Followup Questions: Reply with quote

Aprelium,

Thanks for your explanation. If you have the time, I have a few followup questions:

1) I gather you're suggesting that I've just been lucky, i.e., because typically no one's accessing my site around 5AM each morning, Abyss is in a "quiet" state, so abyss.conf tends to be, um, "safe." Is this a fair restating of your comment? Keep in mind, however, in case I didn't make this clear: I had these kind of problems a few times only BEFORE I started routinely shutting down FireDaemon/Abyss, but not after.

2) FireDaemon, in its "Setting" tab for a given service, has a box -- checked by default -- called "Graceful Shutdown." The documentation for this (http://www.firedaemon.com/documentation/1.6/#_Toc40617949) states:

"If this is checked, FireDaemon will send a WM_CLOSE message to the sub-process in order to allow it to gracefully exit. This applies to interactive applications only."

I don't have the technical background to understand what this actually means, especially in terms of Abyss. Do you know what this means, and might it be that FireDaemon is initiating a proper shutdown (in which case this might explain why I haven't had any problems since automating my shutdowns)?

3) In your impending major release -- if you'd care to comment on this part -- were you planning on implementing a run-as-service function for the more recent Windows platforms?

Regards, and thanks for your time,

Bill
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Using FireDaemon, no problem... now >>> Reply with quote

aprelium wrote:
wspollack,

The problem comes is caused by the way Firedaemon stops Abyss. It simply kills Abyss process (instead of sending a QUIT request as any Windows software expects). So sometimes Abyss don't have the time to write the abyss.conf file and close it correctly. abyss.conf is simply left in an unstable state (or empty).

This makes a lot of sense. I was wondering if it was something like this, but I didn't know how to put it into words. Thanks, Aprelium!

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, as this is very interesting, and I think you guys are onto something.
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks, and Followup Questions: Reply with quote

wspollack,

You're right. So let's go to the details: Abyss since version 1.2 runs as 2 processes. The first is manages the GUI and acts as a watchdog for the second who is the effective server.
When Firedaemon sends WM_CLOSE, the second process can't catch it because it is a Win32 console process (and has no message loop). So it is killed.
Windows is a multitasking system and it retains many data in its cache before putting it on the disk. Since abyss.conf is often read, it is more likely to spend most of its life in the cache. When the process is killed, no synchronization is performed, and data that was in the cache is lost forever (and is never written back to the disk).

The next major release will solve the problem as it will support running as a service.
wspollack
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the clarification >>> Reply with quote

Aprelium,

Thanks very much for the clarification and your time.

Regards,

Bill
flare
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any way to manually install aprelium as a service, I dont really want to install a new program that runs in the background just to have abyss as a service, as I already have enough things running...or even a program that adds it as a service but doesnt need to run all the time or even be installed..
wspollack
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Until the next release, why not FireDaemon Reply with quote

Until the next release of Abyss, which Aprelium has recently stated will be available for testing possibly by the end of the month and which will include service capability, why not run the free version of FireDaemon. This program has negligible impact on the system -- for the last SIX HOURS, here's the info on FireDaemon on my system:

Kernel time (seconds): .070
User: .040

Private bytes: 652K
Peak private bytes: 664K
Peak working set: 1876K

Reads: 6
Writes: 5
Other: 436

...and so forth.

Or maybe I don't really understand your question.

Regards,

Bill
flare
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well all I really wanna know is, if there is a way to manually add a service...without any extra programs or anything.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flare,

Yes, you can run Abyss as a service by configuring it as a Scheduled Task (using the Windows Task Scheduler). This tip has been already discussed in the this forum and it works without any problem.
jens095
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ok, thank you this works just fine, however, I cannot turn off the auto start as mentioned, how is this done ?

regards Jens
jens095
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind, found it on the file menu, so now everything is ok.
moose_999
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: instsrv srvany Reply with quote

I have successfully installed Abyss as a service with the free Microsoft tools instsrv and srvany, but have no long term results. has anyone else had success with this? i will continue to test, and report.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Tutorials All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: