Port Problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MM Guest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:10 am    Post subject: Port Problems Reply with quote

Hi, I am having some port problems.
Setup: Abyss 1.0.3 on linux box.
Problem: When I set Abyss to listen on port 80, I cannot see it from another machine. If I set the port to 8000, I can see it from another machine. From the machine running abyss, I can see the web server using 127.0.0.1, the server name and/or the server ip. Just cant see it from another machine when the port is 80. I don't think the problem is port filtering ...

Thanks for the help! -MM
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Port Problems Reply with quote

MM Guest wrote:
Hi, I am having some port problems.
Setup: Abyss 1.0.3 on linux box.
Problem: When I set Abyss to listen on port 80, I cannot see it from another machine. If I set the port to 8000, I can see it from another machine. From the machine running abyss, I can see the web server using 127.0.0.1, the server name and/or the server ip. Just cant see it from another machine when the port is 80. I don't think the problem is port filtering ...

Thanks for the help! -MM

If you set port to 80 and if you can see access to it with this setting using 127.0.0.1, so the problem is port filtering: If you are using a router, check if port 80 is blocked. Some DSL operators are also known to block that port.

Otherwise, you must be root or you must have the root privileges to use Abyss Web Server on port 80. This is due to the operating system which allows only root to use ports which numbers are between 1 and 1023. Please read Appendix C in the documentation for more information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: