Subdomain help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunted
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Subdomain help Reply with quote

How do you get a subdomain like forum.site.com?
Is that even possible with Abyss?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not without using scripting. A PHP example is here :

http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1081
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
gsownsby
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Well, it actually got very simple once I found a small script that acts as the "home page" but really redirects to subdirectories:

gsownsby wrote:
Versions: AWS 1.2.2.2 for Linux (Fedora) / PERL 5.8.1
Broadband: DSL (dynamic IP)
Firewall / Router: NAT-type
DNS Server: ZoneEdit
IP Updating: DynSite used on a separate Windows 98 PC to automatically update ZoneEdit

I found a PERL-based redirection script from http://www.utilmind.com/scripts/virtualhosting.html

It is a Shareware product and best of all it works perfectly with very, very little editing. It took me about 5 minutes to change the domain URLs referenced in the script. Place it in the HTDOCS directory and presto it redirects to whereever you like (your Abyss website or external). The correct URLs are shown in the URL address bar of the browser too.

I had tried all the others mentioned on this forum but could not get any to work (perhaps I didn't have something right) but this one does work for me. I now have two completely independent websites running on my single instance Abyss web server. One website is cgi-driven (Web-App in cgi-bin) and the other is a Microsoft FrontPage website complete with extensions (a subdirectory of HTDOCS).

Configuring this script was soooo easy!! You might find it useful too.

2. Combine the above with a dynamic IP manager like ZoneEdit and DynSite (on your PC) and it works fine. ZoneEdit has the forum.site.com set up to point whereever you wish and the script referenced above redirects as appropriate. DynSite keeps ZoneEdit updated automatically if you have a dynamic IP address.

At the moment, I have 5 independent domains handled this way and one of those has 4 subdomains as you were asking about. Zonedit and DynSite work great.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: