Access Control - Virtual Path to Directory or Specific File

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsownsby
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Access Control - Virtual Path to Directory or Specific File Reply with quote

Are there any pros and cons of creating an access path that is tied to a specific file vs. a directory? For instance, I have several cgi scripts within my cgi-bin. One of those scripts I want to qualify for use by only certain users/user groups.

So I created a "path" in Access Control to "/cgi-bin/index.cgi"...not just to cgi-bin. It seems to work fine. I can access the website without problem but when I click on a link that is connected to /cgi-bin/index.cgi, the username/password challenge pops up. This is what I wanted exactly. Other scripts within cgi-bin are not affected and may be run by anyone.

Is there a downside to creating access control to a file vs. a directory? Thanks.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Access Control - Virtual Path to Directory or Specific F Reply with quote

gsownsby wrote:
Is there a downside to creating access control to a file vs. a directory? Thanks.

No. You can even have a more complex setting. For example, you can limit the use of all .cgi files there by protecting /cgi-bin/*.cgi (works with version 1.2 and higher).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: