sever files

View previous topic :: View next topic  
feamsr00
-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:00 am    Post subject: sever files Reply with quote

What does CHL stand for? And what is the "AbyssLib"?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: sever files Reply with quote

feamsr00 wrote:
What does CHL stand for? And what is the "AbyssLib"?

Good question !!! :D
CHL stands for Console HtmL. These files are regular HTML files with special variables which are dynamically replaced by the console when displaying the pages to the user.
AbyssLib is the core engine of the web server. It is a generic web serving library written in ANSI C that provides functions to handle almost all the aspects of web serving. Abyss Web Server is build on the top of AbyssLib. It uses it to serve the user's web site and the console.
AbyssLib is a mature piece of code. It has been under work since early 2000. Abyss Web Server (as it is now) is relatively young. It was born in 2002.
feamsr00
-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh I see....
Is it possible to modify/create the CHL files? And would you be willing to list the varibles? (There the ^@VAR^ right?)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feamsr00 wrote:
Ahh I see....
Is it possible to modify/create the CHL files? And would you be willing to list the varibles? (There the ^@VAR^ right?)

CHL variables aren't documented because we don't know if we will keep them in the future. They are also subject to frequent changes from version to version.
But if you want to play with CHL files, just see their source and you will easily know what each ^VAR^stands for.
feamsr00
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will they work only on the console or on the norm port too?
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feamsr00 wrote:
will they work only on the console or on the norm port too?

CHL files work only on the console and are specific to that use.
feamsr00
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the general structure of the CHL files?
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feamsr00 wrote:
What is the general structure of the CHL files?

They are HTML files with special variables enclosed between ^ . As we said before, they aren't documented because they rely on the internal specoification of the console which is likely to change/evolve with the release of a newer version.
feamsr00
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i have a CHL file point to a regular HTML file? And if so, can I put the CHLVs in it?
And also how would I be able to give the server input?

Basicly Im leading up to how hard would it be to change everything to my whim (kinda like a mod :D )
Allard
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'played' with the CHL files, because I translated everything :P
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. This makes me think of a sugestion...
Omar G

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to play around with CHL and SSI pages to perhaps encourage the birth of Aprelium Server Pages (oops, that ) acronym is already taken! I will post results once I've gotten something useful. I've done similar things with Apache2, xSSI with url rewriting and basic CGI vars and querystring vars...would be great to create a basic scripting framework in SSI with the native variables. So much lighter than a whole language, yeah? :wink:

Aprelium: Might you be able to allow access to CHL outside the console in a future release?
!Keys
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read other topics too :-) They are going to work on X2 and there will be a lot of updates, like multiple languages and if possible also the .chl files :-) we will just have to wait :wink:
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omar G wrote:
I'm trying to play around with CHL and SSI pages to perhaps encourage the birth of Aprelium Server Pages (oops, that ) acronym is already taken! I will post results once I've gotten something useful. I've done similar things with Apache2, xSSI with url rewriting and basic CGI vars and querystring vars...would be great to create a basic scripting framework in SSI with the native variables. So much lighter than a whole language, yeah? :wink:

Aprelium: Might you be able to allow access to CHL outside the console in a future release?

CHL are too close to the server console so we doubt they can go so far to be a real language. But the idea of extending SSI is good and we thought about it in the past. The problem is to know if people really need another *SP technology (We already have ASP and JSP :D .)
We really don't know. Future may tell us if this will happen or not.
Another philosophical consideration, why making a light language ? Isn't that a way of condemning it to disappear as it will be always not powerful "enough" ? :D

Discussion is interesting and your feedback is welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, there are actions I would prefer to do internally with the server rather than take the overhead of an CGI interpreter load, etc... This is especially useful on {mostly} static HTML sites. xSSI and some access to CHL vars through SSI would do quite nicely for simple tasks which make site management much easier, but do not necessarily demand a full-blown *SP script.

A wish list for discussion:

[CERTAINLY SUGGESTED]
* Extended SSI: if,then,elif,set
* Querystring exploded into name-value pairs, accessed from an Abyss-specific CGI / ENV / CHL var.
* Custom SSI formats, like Apache2 (<ssi:include >).
* Some CHL vars as environmental vars, accessable to SSI:Echo, such as ^@StatUpTime^.
* Set ^$Redirect^, also probably in xSSI: set var="".

[NOT NEEDED]
* Data access / processing (*SP's do this fine)
* No new languages, since you are right, demands would increase upon it...

[USEFUL AT ALL?]
* dynamicly setting page/directory specific logs by setting ^LogFile^ / ^#LogFile^??
* SSI interface to mail server, send only?? (could do this with ssi:exec cmd="" if get/post vars are exploded into name-value pairs...cool)
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Sometimes, there are actions I would prefer to do internally with the server rather than take the overhead of an CGI interpreter load, etc... This is especially useful on {mostly} static HTML sites. xSSI and some access to CHL vars through SSI would do quite nicely for simple tasks which make site management much easier, but do not necessarily demand a full-blown *SP script.

A wish list for discussion:

[CERTAINLY SUGGESTED]
* Extended SSI: if,then,elif,set
* Querystring exploded into name-value pairs, accessed from an Abyss-specific CGI / ENV / CHL var.
* Custom SSI formats, like Apache2 (<ssi:include >).
* Some CHL vars as environmental vars, accessable to SSI:Echo, such as ^@StatUpTime^.
* Set ^$Redirect^, also probably in xSSI: set var="".

This can be done. But extended SSI are a little bit hard to implement. if syntax in xSSI is very complex and this will make the server bigger. So we will restrict it to a small subset of operators.

Quote:

[NOT NEEDED]

* Data access / processing (*SP's do this fine)
* No new languages, since you are right, demands would increase upon it...

We share the same thoughts about that subject.

Quote:

[USEFUL AT ALL?]
* dynamicly setting page/directory specific logs by setting ^LogFile^ / ^#LogFile^??
* SSI interface to mail server, send only?? (could do this with ssi:exec cmd="" if get/post vars are exploded into name-value pairs...cool)

We understand the SSI interface to mail server. But the first one is not obvious. At least, its use is not clear. Why such information needs to be set dynamically ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: