Is it effective hosting on a 56k modem?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Is it effective hosting on a 56k modem? Reply with quote

Hi

Ive searched the forum etc etc and read a lot of info - i can see this is a very good piece of sw - my question is has anyone experience of hosting using the software over a 56k modem and what type of traffice would I be able to handle if a did this. Thanks in advance.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it effective hosting on a 56k modem? Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Hi

Ive searched the forum etc etc and read a lot of info - i can see this is a very good piece of sw - my question is has anyone experience of hosting using the software over a 56k modem and what type of traffice would I be able to handle if a did this. Thanks in advance.

Yes, theoritically it is possible to host a site over a 56k modem. But in the practice, your web site should be small. It should be text based and it shouldn't use too much graphics.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site I have planned uses is basically a bulletin board - type site - no graphics etc - would this be suitable culd you give me a rough figure of how many users simultaneously online i would be able to handle over a 56k
thanks in advance
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
The site I have planned uses is basically a bulletin board - type site - no graphics etc - would this be suitable culd you give me a rough figure of how many users simultaneously online i would be able to handle over a 56k
thanks in advance

We can't do an estimation for you as we don't know what is the size of pages on your web site. But, performance will be correect provided that you don't have more than 3 pages downloaded simultaneously at a given moment. But these are only suppositions. You should do real world tests to know how much traffic can be handled.
(For your information, a 56K modem bandwidth is around 4 Kb/s, that is the maximum amount of data users can download during a second. That means that if pages have an average size of 12 Kb, if only one user is downloading a page from you site, he will need 3 seconds to have it. If 2 download simultaneously 2 pages, each of them will need 6 seconds to have the page they asked for...etc...).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: