alot of problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: alot of problems Reply with quote

what is the administrator login. my friends gave me suggested this to me and its really cool, but one problem. im having problems with login, the 401 error, and for some reason when i try to see the website it gives me a list of all the files in the website and says index... it was just workin, i dont know what do to. there is problem after problem. i keep refering to you guys, and you send me to FAQ. that dosent help anything. sorry
please help me....thank you
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: alot of problems Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
what is the administrator login. my friends gave me suggested this to me and its really cool, but one problem. im having problems with login, the 401 error, and for some reason when i try to see the website it gives me a list of all the files in the website and says index... it was just workin, i dont know what do to. there is problem after problem. i keep refering to you guys, and you send me to FAQ. that dosent help anything. sorry
please help me....thank you

The cleanest way to solve your problems (you seem to have messed up with the configuration file) is to close the server, delete abyss.conf file and restart it. This way everything is reset but you'll have to reconfigure it.
The problems you are experiencing are:
* You lost your admin login/password (you are the only one to know those two because you entered them the first time you opened the console).
* The list of files is shown because you have no index file in the directory.

By the way, reading the documentation is not one of the funniest things on earth, but if you are new to web servers, we recommend taking some of your time to do so: you will understand how a web server works and you will learn very fast how to master Abyss Web Server.
kevin1
-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that about the password. but it never asked me to enter a login name and password when i opned the console. so thats why im confused. I deleted the config file and restarted it, it brought me to the password and login screen then when i enterd my desired password and login. it said error 401 unauthorized. im still confused on why it does that. what do i need a login and pass for anyway. i fixed the index problem but i hate the fact that my ip changes constantly so the site is never one ip, to where my members can read the information that is important. Sorry to take your guy's time, but your server is great, and I do need to read the documentation.
thank you for all your help.
Kevin :D
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin1 wrote:
I know that about the password. but it never asked me to enter a login name and password when i opned the console. so thats why im confused. I deleted the config file and restarted it, it brought me to the password and login screen then when i enterd my desired password and login. it said error 401 unauthorized. im still confused on why it does that. what do i need a login and pass for anyway. i fixed the index problem but i hate the fact that my ip changes constantly so the site is never one ip, to where my members can read the information that is important. Sorry to take your guy's time, but your server is great, and I do need to read the documentation.
thank you for all your help.
Kevin :D

For the 401 Error, it means that you entered a bad password or that your browser do not support authentication. So what's the browser you're using ?
For the IP problem, please read the FAQ. You must get a domain or a subdomain name so that you can have a xxx.yyy.com address and other people can use it.
(And please do not feel that you're making us waste our time. It is the support job to answer user's questions :D )
kevin1
-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using internet explorer. thank you for replying right away. i always check up to see if you guys have replied. i have a .topcities website but it wont let me upload songs and stuff. Its http://aeclan.topcities.com. if you can let me know about my browser problem...thanks
Kevin
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin1 wrote:
I am using internet explorer. thank you for replying right away. i always check up to see if you guys have replied. i have a .topcities website but it wont let me upload songs and stuff. Its http://aeclan.topcities.com. if you can let me know about my browser problem...thanks
Kevin

Let's focus on the browser problem. To undersand what's going wrong, can you confirm what is the scenario you experience:
* You enter the admin and the password for the first time.
* The web browser doesn't display a dialog box asking for a username and a password. Instead, it displays the 401 Error.
Is that what happens ?
kevin1
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i have never entered a admin and password ever. i just put my files in the htdocs, then went to my ip. and there it was. i have entered my pass and admin so many times, and it said by sumbiting or pressing ok you will be asked to make up your password and login name, or something like that. and yes i get a 401 error saying unauthorised
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin1 wrote:
yes, i have never entered a admin and password ever. i just put my files in the htdocs, then went to my ip. and there it was. i have entered my pass and admin so many times, and it said by sumbiting or pressing ok you will be asked to make up your password and login name, or something like that. and yes i get a 401 error saying unauthorised

This is your browser which behaves wrongly in this case. It bypasses the necessary step of displaying a dialog box to ask you for your credentials.
So try reinstalling it, or try installing another one such as Netscape or Opera.
kevin1
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehh. i dont like netscape that much. IE is my main browser, how do i reinstall it?
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin1 wrote:
Ehh. i dont like netscape that much. IE is my main browser, how do i reinstall it?

It depends. The best is to go to Windows Update and to see if there is a new version of IE. That way you benefit twice: you get a newer version and you reinstall it.
kevin1
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. What do i need a password and login for anyway?
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin1 wrote:
ok. What do i need a password and login for anyway?

You need this to ensure that no one except you can configure and manage the web server. Please read the "Guetting Started" chapter in the documentation to know more about that.
Anyway, the problem is not in our software but something is broken in your browser. So change it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: