Extremely bizarre server(?)/IP/something problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lobsterkins
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Extremely bizarre server(?)/IP/something problem Reply with quote

Hello there.

I've got quite the strange situation here. I've got two computers in my room, my PC and my Server. Both computers have Windows 2000 Professional as their operating system, and both computers work fine and can connect to/browse the internet.

Well, I installed Abyss Webserver on my Server machine a loooong time ago. I realized I'd need to get a router to split up my IP, so I got a Linksys BEFSR11 router. I got everything all hooked up and wa-la: the server worked great. People could access my website from anywhere in the world.

After a while I realized I was going to need to get a No-IP address, so I got one as well as the No-IP software from www.no-ip.com and again, everything worked fine. This was quite a while ago; probably half a year or so.

Well, this morning (January 12, 2004) I woke up and tried to access my website ( www.altamontunion.com ). No luck. At first it worked, but shortly after when I'd try to access my website it would just hang for a while, then I'd get the dreaded "Page cannot be displayed" error. I checked the server machine and noticed that the PCI LAN card had come out of its slot, and since the card had difficulty staying in the computer to begin with, I replaced the LAN card with a different one. The new card worked fine; while on the server machine, I could access/browse the internet.

Well, people from outside my Local Area Network said they were having difficulty getting to my site - in fact people couldn't access it at all. I went on IRC to try to find some help, but couldn't really get much. One person said that when trying to access my website ( www.altamontunion.com or http://rangoon.no-ip.com), he got this error:

Quote:
Server Error
The following error occurred:
[code=SERVER_RESPONSE_RESET] The server response could not be read because of an error. Contact your system administrator.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please contact the administrator.

I have had none of these problems up until this morning. I really need help with this; please, if you can, respond to this post. I am on AOL Instant Messenger as Lobsterkins and would love to hear from you.

Thank you in advance,
Chris
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
olly86
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used a Linksys router before. But sense replacing the network card, is the viral server on your router still setup correctly and pointing to the correct IP address?
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "viral server on my router" - whaaa?
jtc970
-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the linksys before...the problem is probably that linksys switched the local ips of your machines?
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DHCP uses the MAC address of the network card to allocate IPs - MAC addresses should be unique on each card. If you've switched the cards on your machine, it's likely the Linksys has allocated a different IP for the server, so any port forwarding you set up is now broken... Check IPConfig on both machines and see if the IPs are still the same as you expect, you'll probably need to update your port forwarding (virtual server) settings on the router.

If you were using static IP's, I'd have to admit to being a little puzzled :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: