ABSOLUTLY FREE DOMAIN NAME!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: ABSOLUTLY FREE DOMAIN NAME!! Reply with quote

Soon after getting the Server I realized that I needed a domain name because no one is going to remember my ip address to come to the site, Not only that I did'nt want to pay for it. After a bit of surfing and a really long night GUESS WHAT :D I found something. Http://www.dynup.net provides you with a free Domain name for home webserver users. Now My Web Address Is Http://www.angelrosesmetalmania.dynup.net Its that simlple. I hope this helps me people out.
Angel
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rev_Chris
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Cool Reply with quote

Another similar service is available at www.dyndns.org
Its absolutly free and you can have 5 dynamic IP and 5 Static IP addresses for FREE. Also you get some choice in the domain name

I took

chrisandanna.homeip.net and i also got
chrisstewart.is-a-geek.com

Both completly free!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're subdomains not domain names but thanks for the heads up :) Not seen the dynup one before.
goose
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having a true dns name is better paying for one isnt to bad i guess....

once registered ....you can use a very CENSORED dns software ...no its not bind.

there are a few good ones out there....

once you setup your domain use this software to run your warez from home hehe

mo money mo money!

mawuahahaha :)
wiz4rd
-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use ods.org for my domain...it was free when i signed up but isnt anymore. i havnt not had one problem with it and im very happy with it, no / low cost and no maintainance. very quick, simple and easy.
jonfry
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: www.no-ip.com Reply with quote

I use the no-ip service from www.no-ip.com

Brilliant and free and a good choice of subdomain names to pick from. Dynamic IP client is free and works very well too.

I have bought a domain name from them - http://www.jonfry.net and this points straight to my machine which is running ADSL.

The free account works very well if anybody needs dynamic ip to domain name resolution.

Jon
levdog
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know how oyu actualy register domain names, when you go to a website an it says register you domain name here for $$$ per year, hoe are they actualy getting the domain name you register?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
vision3
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levdog wrote:
does anyone know how oyu actualy register domain names, when you go to a website an it says register you domain name here for $$$ per year, hoe are they actualy getting the domain name you register?

Most of them are Domain resellers like Directi.com. Now how do you become a domain registar with out being a reseller. You got me there.
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
does anyone know how oyu actualy register domain names, when you go to a website an it says register you domain name here for $$$ per year

To register a Domain name, all you need is to find an unoccupied name. There will be a search tool you can entry if that name in question is being use. If not, it will indicate back that is available.

Quote:
hoe are they actualy getting the domain name you register?

I am not sure if I understand this question correctly.
All the name that was chosen are those that just make up and becoming part of the list. It get add onto the database of one registar and will be update to the rest of registar (propagation).

All Internet providers must update their records (DNS tables) to reflect new site locations. This is called propagation. Total turnaround on a new domain name is typically 2-3 business days.

Example.
If you interested in this Domain name > ABCXYZ123.com ... Assuming it not been taking yet. Then it is not in the database or list of the DNS. As soon you register that name and pay for it. Then ABCXYZ123.com will be put on the database / list and all the registar will be updated. Anyone else that come along and want to register that name from any registar, it will indicate to that perpective client that this name is taking.
Do you understand that general idea?

Is this the answer you looking for, for your second question?
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm i dont understand why some people think reging a domain name is hard it isnt.....once you buy the domain name thats rent it for months or years on end....its yours .....but once the funds runout....the domain is for sale again ....thats how it works.

i recommend buying the domain name if its free(available)....and pay your yearly payment for it or monthly however you want.....

example $20 a year for some providers here in oz. not bad i guess....

but when money is tight ...then 20 bucks doesnt look good! :wink:

as for using the domain you registered. you can do 2 things,

1. let your provider manage it for you and you do the web development for it.

or

2. you buy the dns software for using it ....and setting up the shit yourself and i mean everything.

transmission ended! 8)

goose
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one final note ....make sure you have the hardware for it! :lol:

one more note give it ago its fun.

:D

CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goose,
You are totally and absolutely correct....[IMHO/IME] Can not agreed more. Registering a Domain Name is pretty easy. It what you want to do with it is the hard part.

I see the same level hardness by Registering Domain Name is the same as renting a P.O. Box from your postal office.

Maybe other people see it as a challenge due to intimidation of computer related. 8)
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each domain extention (.com/.net/.org, etc...) is owned and operated by certain companies. For example, the one we all know so well, .com, is owned and operated by Network Solutions, inc. They keep a DNS record of all the domain names associated with that extention. When you use a domain registrar, they contact NS (Network Solutions) and ask them to add "[yourdomain].com" to the list. If you want to actually become a registrar, then you have to contact NS and match the requirements.

If anyone has a small server at home and wants a TLD (.com/.net/.org, etc.) then this is what to do:

First, register your domain name. I reccomend 000domians.com. They charge 13.50 a year and come with all the services you'll ever need.

After your new domain has been active for a couple days, you need to set up a DNS record. The best part is: YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE BIND! I know all of you are cheering at home with your friends... You can go to www.zoneedit.com and they will, for free, set up the entire DNS process for you after filling out a couple forms. You just set the nameservers to the ones they specify and then forward your domain to a specified ip.

Some of the stuff I've said may be confusing, but it will become clear after you actually go through the process.

This method costs you 13.50 a year, has almost no painful tweaking involved, and best of all, runs abyss web server =).

Hope it helped.
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there alot of these free domains:

.tk (includes an popup) (www.dot.tk)
.spyw.com (www.shorturl.com)
.vze.com (www.shorturl.com)
.shorturl.com (www.shorturl.com)

and ALOT of more...
You can let them redirect to your IP.
But ofcourse the best is to just buy one.
goose
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the core of the net is so simple it could have cost 20 bucks to make .....i dont understand why millions where spent on it ....send and receiving mail is so simple and ftping is easy....and as for web surfing one click here one click there......the only hard part for the net was the coding to make it work.

i dont believe i have any hair left must seee advanced hair replacement dudes yeah! yeah!

oh well hopefully adsl is an improvement ...but i have heard still has probs!

theres a new network method coming ...just cant remember the name of it! :wink:

goose
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres dns server software for setting up your domain name....

they are as follows:

bind: which is free and a pig to use ...

denesse; which i have never used....looks interesting!

but the best i wanted to keep a secret was simple dns plus by jhsoft simply a fantastic piece of software to setup your own server's from the domain name right down to your ftp server, mail server etc ....what a blast and so simple.

that there my friends is the net in a nut shell! :lol:

hey squirrels stop pinching my nuts ....there sore! :lol:

goose
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing like running everything yourself.

very easy.

even a goose can do it!

spend 20 bucks a year and run a adsl connection and your good to go!

you could do it on dialup but speed would be an issue. but hey it works ive done it! and you dont need no sub domain either hehehe :lol:

robin906
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried www.dot.tk for a free yourname.tk domain
Vapor
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the offer to help get sites online. ....Your site needs a bit of work..... and possibly get rid of that sick music. Other then that, it's cool
levdog
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toadhead wrote:
there alot of these free domains:

.tk (includes an popup) (www.dot.tk)
.spyw.com (www.shorturl.com)
.vze.com (www.shorturl.com)
.shorturl.com (www.shorturl.com)

and ALOT of more...
You can let them redirect to your IP.
But ofcourse the best is to just buy one.

actualy i have been using .tk for over a year now, and you can set it to not have a popup
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: