Let me get this straight

View previous topic :: View next topic  
programmer
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Let me get this straight Reply with quote

Now before I go out and buy a bunch of stuff and put lots of time into this, php is the stuff you need to know to make html forms work, and be able to do stuff with information. Correct? :?:
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
whackaxe
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOOOOOOOP! don't go buying anything untill you tell us what you want to do. we could save you a penny or two :D

the short answer is yes, and the long no.

yes because yo ucan use php to interpret forums, but no because you need a webserver(abyss of course :)) and some form of server side scripting installed (php being one of the top ones, not that there are many around but hey...).

have you got a specific project in mind
programmer
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: THIS is what I want to do Reply with quote

Ok, www.shimlar.com is a free online role playing game using HTML forms and php scripts. I am TOTALLY lost. I am trying SO hard to figure out how to create something similar to www.shimlar.com but I just don't understand. Where to begin? I have asked them and they said the basics of what they use, but they dont tell me much more then that.

They said,

PHP.
HTML
a Database
a webserver

can you please help me. I am willing to spend time and money on creating something like www.shimlar.com

Thanks
Vapor
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

Dude, this sounds like my issue. I think I will listen in on this because I would like to know too.
Vapor
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Wackaxe, any ideas? Reply with quote

Do you have any ideas on this? I too have the same question. I would like to create something similar to www.shimlar.com
The-Hunter
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a very broad question ... do u have a script yet?

The-Hunter
Back to top View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number
whackaxe
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me tell you. projects like these are BIG. if its like ny of the RPGs iv played on th net beofre then your going to need alot of experience (and time lots of time. lots and lots of time.) before being able to code something on the scale of a web application this size.

but i don't mean to discourage you, but be aware that its going to be a hell of a while beofre you get a playable version of anything your trying to make becuase these things incorporate like user authentification, email systems not to mention the game sysem itself.

you should start out small on things like , as mentioned, a user authentification ssytem, or a mail system. it'll let you learn the language and give you experience on how to structure your code.

now the workings of php isnt just to say hello tor forms and pare them. what really happens is that the user will go onto a site. internet explorer (for example) will ask the webserver to give it index.php (for example, again). then the websrver, due to its configuration, will send the .php file to a program called php.exe which will read each line of code, do stuff then send the resuts back to he webserver who will relay it to the user. thats how php works. for the database. that is also another program which waits for people (r programs such as php) to connect to it to manipulate data. with large websites and webapplications. databases are a must.

my suggested ressources are (for php and related)

www.aprelium.com - yeh well ya got ya webserver ;)

www.php.net - this is the home of php

www.mysql.com - the most popular database for use with php.

www.webmonkey.com - webmaster resource

www.sitepoint.com - another resource for webmasters

www.devshed.com - more based around programming than running th site itself

www.codingforums.com - does what it says on the lable, programing questions go here :)

i think i've flooded you with way to much info at once so if you don't understand, it doesn't matter :p its 4am here so i better go get some sleep...
Vapor
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: DUDE thanks Reply with quote

Your right, I am still lost, but it will give me a starting spot to look at. I sometimes feel like I am hopeless, but I would really like to learn. Thanks, I appericate it a million
whackaxe
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, progamming's hard to get into at first. persistance is the key to it.

www.hotscripts.com jsut to remind you. get tutorials to learn the theory with examples. and scripts for you to use so you can take them apart and see how they work :) good luck guys
Vapor
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Thx Reply with quote

Thanks alot man, I really appericate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> PHP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: