Server only works on local machine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dxstar
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Server only works on local machine Reply with quote

I know you've probably seen this question millions of times. I can't get my website to show up on any computer but my local network. I changed the port to 81 (because 80 was blocked) and I type http://myiphere:81/ and it does not work. I've read all of the things on how to fix it, and all the posts and I still can't get it to work. My Netgear router is configured to allow traffic on the port of my ip address and my firewall is also. I can't seem to get my website to be shown to the public. Please help!!

Thanks,
TOm
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you type http://127.0.0.1:81 does it work ?

If you type http://yourinternetip:81 it won't work because you cannot generally send traffic to yourself via your router. It has to go out properly onto the net then return. If you want to check it using your IP, you'll have to use a proxy. Try www.proxyweb.net, remember to put your port number into the bar too.

What OS are you running ?
What personal firewall ?
Are you *sure* you've configured the router correctly to forward traffic to the right port on your machine ?

"Invent an idiot proof webserver and they'll invent a better idiot..."
dxstar
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, thank you for the reply.

It does indeed work if you type http://127.0.0.1:81

Since then, I've changed ports around to see if that was the problem. Right now my server is running on port 522.

However, it is not accessable to other people outside my network at home.

I have tried typing in http://myipaddress:522/ and it hasn't worked, even on the proxy server. I've had other people try as well.

I signed up for Dynamic DNS (http://dyndns.org) and made a webhop (a URL forwarding service) for it also. I signed up for the dns for my ip address (68.60.**.***) and used http://68.60.**.***:522/ as the address for the service to forward it to. My IP address has not changed in quite some time, although it is dynamic. I've checked every day to see if it has changed, and it has not.

I am running Windows XP and I am using Black Ice Defender as my firewall. I did configure it in there to allow traffic on port 522 with my actual ip address.

I also set up port forwarding for my router.

I have it forwarding to port 522 with my ip address of 68.60.**.***

Would I have to forward to port 522 using my local network ip address instead?

Thank you for the reply. My server works on my local side, just not on the outside world.

Thanks again,
Tom
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you need to set the router to forward traffic on port 522 to your LAN IP. If everything else is set up as you say, that should fix it :)
dxstar
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:59 am    Post subject: AWESOME Reply with quote

That did the trick. Thank you for the support! I knew it was something little like that. Well I guess I know how to setup a server correctly now.

Thanks again,
Tom :D
sonysworld
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: i have a similar problem Reply with quote

hi ... i am having a diap up connection and a single p.c at home. I use No-ip .com dynamic DNS update client.

I am able to connect to the webpage when i try to view it on my own browser. But noone can view my site over the internet.

Can someone please help me on this ??.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
senshi
-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Dyndns service as the no-ip will only pickup your proxy address set by your ISP.

It is becoming common to find ISPs using proxy addressing to hide your true IP address and no-ip is not a very good service in a number of respects, it is slow to update and I have found that on a lot of occasions the service can take longer than 10 mins to update and as for me, it always picks up the proxy address set by my ISP no matter what I do, so I use the DynDNS service as this is much better, updates are almost instant and it will correctly identify your true IP address.
sonysworld
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Senshi,

But i was wondering... does DYNDNS provide a free service like No-IP ??
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dyndns.org/

"Best of all, Dynamic DNS and Static DNS are free for up to 5 hostnames."
Front page, first column. 8O
Hunted
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you host a webserver with a router IP?
I gave people my IP and they said they could not connect
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunted wrote:
Can you host a webserver with a router IP?
I gave people my IP and they said they could not connect

You can check your current IP from this [Courtesy of Aprelium] http://www.aprelium.com/ip/
Can you check your IP again and see if it remain the same as the IP you given prior? Also, what setup do you have in your LAN network? What router do you have and did you forward the PORT (80 default from Abyss) to your LAN IP where your Abyss is sitting on?

Normally you can host your webserver from your box, yes.

Please check some tutorial setction
http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1662
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as they said on that tutorial, the 192.186.0.1 or whatever, none of those URL's work!

How can I find out that IP so I can config my router?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunted,

LAN IPs usually look like 192.168.0.* where * is a number between 1 and 255. You can discover your computer's LAN IP by executing the command ipconfig or winipcfg (depends on the Windows version you have).
Hunted
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried that and it works, but before I can read a word that it says, it will automaticaly close it. Does it log somewhere?
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunted wrote:
I've tried that and it works, but before I can read a word that it says, it will automaticaly close it. Does it log somewhere?

Are talking about IPCONFIG that close after the result?
Open up your Windows DOS and try again. Or just goto start > Run and type in CMD. A Windows DOS will open up.
Type in:
ipconfig /all
Look for the line indicate "IP Address". This will be your LAN IP that your box is currently using.

For the following:
ipconfig - WinNT/XP/2000
Or
winipcfg - Win95/98/SE/ME

And OR simply use this from Aprelium > http://www.aprelium.com/ip/
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, all of those mainly point to 192.168.0.1 but that does not work
and where it says "IP Address" it says 192.168.0.1xx

When I go to http://192.168.0.1 it says Cannot Find Server...

I am confused
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunted wrote:
Ok, all of those mainly point to 192.168.0.1 but that does not work
and where it says "IP Address" it says 192.168.0.1xx

When I go to http://192.168.0.1 it says Cannot Find Server...

I am confused

Dude! 192.168.xxx.xxx is your LAN IP (private)[Class C]. Are you using another PC from your LAN to access the Abyss box or from the outside like across town or from another location to that IP you are referring to?

Assumed you have another PC from your LAN and trying to connect to 192.168.0.1... Is this where your Abyss is sitting? My guess that IP is a router / gateway. Then it would not connect.

1. Find what your LAN IP of where Abyss is sitting.
Use IPCONFIG /all [WinNT/XP/2K] or winipcfg /all [Win95/98/ME] and see what IP it currently using.
2. If you have a router / gateway that connect all your PC together, then enable Port forward / vertual server port of port 80 (abyss default port) to IP of Abyss.

Question:
1. Did you ISP provide you a Static or Dynamic IP?
What is your IP they assign to you?

2. What LAN IP is Abyss currently on?

3. Do you have a router / gateway before it goto your LAN PC?
Can you provide the name / model?
-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CapFusion wrote:
2. If you have a router / gateway that connect all your PC together, then enable Port forward / vertual server port of port 80 (abyss default port) to IP of Abyss.

Please, explain that a little more. My problem is similar but with a different story. First I had the abyssws installed on my Win98 machine. Then I noticed what everyone else have found out the same way. To run ASP you'll need XP. So I installed abyssws on my XP machine in the same 3-computer-switch-LAN. Actually it's now on the gateway.

It all went really well. My ASP sites were showing off on my LAN. However, the outside world only got the html-text including server side scripts and all. It took me some time to realize why. The thing was that the outside world was still connected to my Win98 host, while my 3 computers knew where to find the right server.

So, I uninstalled the Win98 server again and now all my three computers surf without any complaints to my XP server while the outside world can't see anything. I've read many of the QA:s inhere and many of them seem to come very close to my problem but none of them is clearly the same.

Please, advise.
aven
-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the heck did my reply go???

I just entered a long description on the solution to my own problem (see above). It showed up on the preview but after submitting it I can't see the result....

Last edited by aven on Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Karasu Kami
-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its there aven
http://quartermoon.info
http://loc.paeon-hosting.com
http://genjipoetry.paeon-hosting.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Khell
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I seem to be having much the same problem as many here, I set up my server, I have my router set to forward the port to my computer but it still won't work. I had it working before but then I installed a new harddrive, re-installed the server and no one can accesss it any longer. Any ideas?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
matt_g
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Same problem as everyone else..... Reply with quote

Ok... I have abyss ws installed on Win Xp Professional ... I'm running Norton Personal Firewall 2003 and I have it configured to allow incoming traffic on port 80... I used ipconfig/all to determine what the IP configuration...

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : user-2eopvoqf52
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 66.103.42.1**
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 66.103.42.*
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.139.0.1**
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 216.104.96.1*
216.104.96.1*

that was the result... what do I need to change... and how do I do it..

I can access my site from the localhost (http://127.0.0.1/).. But other people in the world cannot veiw the site..

I have a cable internet connection ...

Please help
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to port forward or virtual server to your IP from your "Gateway" or "Router".
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, I uninstalled the Win98 server again and now all my three computers surf without any complaints to my XP server while the outside world can't see anything. I've read many of the QA:s inhere and many of them seem to come very close to my problem but none of them is clearly the same.

I am not sure what your actual problem. But I would check if your new XP is not enable it Firewall feature. You can check in "Network..." > LAN properties > Advanced [tab] and uncheck "Internet Connection Firewall".

When you use your XP as a Gateway, it will pass-thu and out but not incoming request that does not originally request from inside.
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CapFusion wrote:
You will need to port forward or virtual server to your IP from your "Gateway" or "Router".

How? im new at this :? :cry:
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How? im new at this

Access your router / gateway, there should be port forwarding or virtural server to point certain port you want to your specific LAN IP on your local network.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv been having the same problem for months. Everything was set up correctly. I was about to give up. I dont know what was the peroblem but basically somhow i got my ip address wrong. When i go to www.whatismyip.com it shows me the wrong ip. Same thing with ipconfig on windows xp. I tryed it a number of times and yesterday it showed me a slightly different ip (by using ipconfig), i tryed it and now everything works fine.

hope that helps to explain things

*edited*

another thing...
i just had to fix a similar problem on my mates computer.... p2p programs should be turned off... they usually connect through port 80
goku
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about the post forwarding, there are a lot of information they wants like "outbound" and "inbound" ports and other stuff, i'm not sure how to do that?

btw, i got that same problem where other people can't view the pages on my server

It looks like this, what do I do?

CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for late reply. I had other thing to take care of first before Abyss.

Quote:
about the post forwarding, there are a lot of information they wants like "outbound" and "inbound" ports and other stuff, i'm not sure how to do that?

Most of this problem regarding port forwarding or virtual server is not setting correctly from the Router / Gateway.

Simply find your LAN IP of where your Abyss is on and assign that LAN IP to your Router for Port Forwarding or Virtual Server.
A typical LAN IP will look something that start with 192.168.1.1 So if you Abyss is sitting on 192.168.1.101 then assign 101 to the Port Forwarding. Next is to set the Port where Abyss is listening to. The default is 80. If you have change to something else, then use that port accordingly.

Quote:
btw, i got that same problem where other people can't view the pages on my server

It looks like this, what do I do?

I am not sure what you mean by can view the page. Please be more specific or describe of what you doing.
If you are referring to view your Abyss page from LAN [Locally] by another PC in the same LAN network. You simply point to that LAN IP. But if you are trying to view it from a remote like from across the street from another LAN. Then you simply enter the public IP which your ISP provide to you.

You can use this link http://www.aprelium.com/ip/ courtesy of Aprelium. This will try to detect what Public IP you currently on. If it is a static IP which it does not change in due time. But if it change to something else, you may have dynamic IP. You will need to update your current IP by using a DNS server like No-IP.com or similar service to update your network.

If you do not know what Port Forwarding or Virtual Server or similar, please check the tutorial section to get some general idea. But since you did not indicate what model or even brand, it kind hard to determine to give exact information.
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: edit the hosts file Reply with quote

I don't claim to be an expert, but with a lil help from my friends, here is a very simple method I used for fixing this problem.

go to your C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc folder. Backup your "hosts" file first and foremost. Open the original "hosts" file in notepad or whatever text editing program you want.

you will see a bunch of lines like "internalIP websiteURL". You will need your internal(Lan) IP and your external(internet) IP for the next step. Just simple type in the internal IP at the bottom of the page, hit TAB, then put in the URL/external IP you are wanting to foward from. Save the file. Close all IE windows, and then give it a shot.

For example...if my internal IP is 10.90.1.234, and the external URL I am fowarding to is supersweet.xdisk.co.uk on port 8000, then...my lnew line in the host file would look like this

10.90.1.234 supersweet.xdisk.co.uk

I HAD to use TAB for whatever reasons. A simple space(like all the previous lines) would not work. Also be sure not to add the port # on either address.

This is just how I got it to work..and I can't promise it will work for anyone else....like I said...I'm not an expert...I'm just a guy who finally fixed a problem that has been bugging him for a good month or two now..and I noticed alot of other peeps with the same problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: