Tearing my hair out: ADSL, Port forwarding, NAT and stuff

View previous topic :: View next topic  
silic0n
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:03 pm    Post subject: Tearing my hair out: ADSL, Port forwarding, NAT and stuff Reply with quote

:x

OK, I do apologise if this question has been answered before, but I have looked and can't find it.

I'm trying to run a web server (duh) using the Abyss Web Server (duh) from behind my NAT-enabled ADSL router (oooh). I'm running XP. Now, some stupid questions:

1) When I double-click on the LAN connection to my router (I'm directly connected and there are no other computers on the network), two IP addresses appear : 192.168.7.2 (IP Address) and 192.168.7.1 (Default Gateway). Which one of these IPs should I be specifying in the Port Forwarding settings on my router? Or should I be specifying my external IP address, i.e. the one that www.ip-address.com sees? Help! I have tried ports 80 and 8000 just in case my ISP (BTBroadband) blocks port 80.

Oh wait, that's the only question. I guess it's the first step to getting this right. I know it's not *strictly* to do with the Abyss Web Server, but we'll get to that.

Thanks for everyone reading this far, and big CENSORED thanks to anyone answering.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
brad
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 3:55 am    Post subject: Port forwarding Reply with quote

You need to forward port 80 on your router to your computer's local IP address, not the public one. In your case, this would be 192.168.7.2. You could also find this address by opening the command prompt and typing ipconfig. Hope this helps.

Brad
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
silic0n
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks brad! It works now! :o
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: