Any good web graphics books out there?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Any good web graphics books out there? Reply with quote

I've been searching all over Google and Amazon.com and can't seem to find the right book for web design (not web development). The funny thing about most of these books is that they mix the term web design with the wrong meaning. Web design is supposed to mean the non-coding part of a website, while web development SHOULD mean the coding of a website. I don't know what to search for when most authors mix these two terms to mean something entirely different. Does anyone know of a good book on web design, not web development?

I prefer tools like Photoshop or Fireworks to create the web graphics. Thanks for any response.

Kind regards, Josh (TRUSTAbyss)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
anybody
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can see the confusion. I've done those same searches before. Website design isn't just the code it is the development of the entire site including graphics, template, or theme. Whatever you want to call it.

I do have a search you can try. I recommend doing searches for adobe photoshop on website graphics, photoshop website graphic, photoshop graphics. I found far more and far better results just searching for photoshop alone. I think your best bet is to find a book on photoshop graphics. I've seen many sites on just photoshop graphic design that has included website graphic. The thing is the graphics I've seen for websites do the whole site layout as one graphic and you have to slice out the images your self. The neat thing about photoshop is the entire image is in layers. I'm sure you know what I mean but I'll elaborate. It is like having ten different images overlapping each other and you can slice each layer individually.

Photoshop is rather spendy but if you do allot of graphic design then it is far worth it. Less you plan on bootlegging it then the cost doesn't matter at all. hehe :)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
anybody
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, another one to look up is photoshop tutorials.

One other thing, paint shop, and paint shop pro made by Corel Corporation is a laughable joke compared to the capability of adobe photoshop.
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Josh. I've purchased some good books on CSS and PHP from www.sitepoint.com. They have many other books available too.

Have you heard of "The Principles of Beautiful Web Design"?

Also, they have a book called "The Photoshop Anthology: 101 Web Design Tips, Tricks & Techniques". It must be a brand new book as I haven't seen it before.

Any books from sitepoint let you download sample chapters for free.

http://CodeBin.yi.org
floridamary4
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

thanks for your link :)
youtheman
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconding "The Principles of Beautiful Web Design". I'm only a little into it but it's really helpful so far.
Bastawy
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are just looking for "how to" design books I bought the new masters of photoshop which has some help tricks and they show you how to do them.

if you are looking for design books to get inspiration from I would highly suggest, taschen's 1000 favorite websites. Its full of great design company sites, photographer sites and others with interesting designs.
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Oh great! Another copy/paste idiot. How did this guy get past us???
Copied from a 6 year old thread at http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=142653

I've taken the liberty to disable his signature spam.
That's the only reason this loser is posting on this forum.
balata
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are just looking for "how to" design books I bought the new masters of photoshop which has some help tricks and they show you how to do them.

if you are looking for design books to get inspiration from I would highly suggest, taschen's 1000 favorite websites. Its full of great design company sites, photographer sites and others with interesting designs.
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Web Design Reply with quote

I bought a book that I consider my bible in Web Design called "The Web Designers Idea Book" It has a lot of ideas and styles. It's a couple years old, but it really gets the creative juices flowing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Web Design All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: