Isp Blocking Port 25

View previous topic :: View next topic  
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Isp Blocking Port 25 Reply with quote

I am trying to use a smtp server to send emails directly from my computer rather then using my isp's smtp. However all the programs I have found need to run through port 25, and none of them work when trying a test and im pretty sure that it is down to my isp blocking port 25. Any ideas of how to get around this would be most appreciated.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Karasu Kami
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

why dont you just use outlook express?...i do...but then again comcast doesnt block any ports! ^^;
http://quartermoon.info
http://loc.paeon-hosting.com
http://genjipoetry.paeon-hosting.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
park
-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just need it for sending you can use any port. Receiving is another chapter.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
metaGenes
-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey,

there r some companies that can forward ur mail to other port than port 25. if i'm not wrong, www.no-ip.com offers such service.

Regards :)
park
-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats's correct, but it's not free :?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
metaGenes
-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yar, it's not free.

i dun tink there's other choice if ur isp blocks ur port, but to pay for such service.

or alternative, forget about the whole thing...

: P
senshi
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to look at your ISP as a single netowrk domain to which you have been granted access, tehy will allow or disallow access to ports and services that for various reasons have been removed. These mainly are to stop irrisponsible teenagers from swamping an already saturated email market with more junk mail, so fair play.

If you have a legitamete reason for running pop services, you can either ask your ISP if they can allow you access to their pop services by connecting your pop server to theirs to do your transactions or get a buisness line where you host all the services or pay an outside agen to do the tricky buisness of either forwarding to a non standard port or to act as your main server and you collect and send mail via the non standard ports.

ISPs dont really like people using their networks for things like web servers and pop servers because they are easily open to abuse because many people install items without fully understanding the possible implications of using that software.

If you installed a SMTP program that was downloaded as a freebie, chances are its an open relay server that can be used by any old tom dick or harry. IF you want to use SMTP mail servers, your better using one that you can configure to only allow yourself to use, my pop server is configured so that only myself can use it, I get on average 6 to 8 attempts a day by people trying to use me as a relay. Although my pop is set to relay, only mail I send is relayed...

So beware using pop servers and SMTP servers as your opening a can of worms that could back fire on you and you may end up being charged by you ISP to clean up the damage or what ever abuse has taken place.

At the end of the day you should always use your ISPs servers to send emails out anyway as all the major ISPs have a method of checking the origin and if it dont come from a recognised server, then you may well find your IP address and server blackholed by the anti-spam servers.

In short, unless you have a clue about pop & SMTP, dont use it.

IF you adamant that you require SMTP, get a proper email server that supports pop & smtp that has configuration to guard against abuse. Last thing you need is your IP blocked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: