Cannot access web server - "connection refused"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arizona
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Cannot access web server - "connection refused" Reply with quote

I am running Abyss for Linux and I cannot access my web site. If I try to access from the outside I keep getting an error message "connection refused". I can ping the IP with no problem and also ping using my web site name. Abyss seems to configure OK and the console looks OK.

I have traced the problem down to a port issue. It seems that port 80 is already being used. If I change the port number to something different, like 8080, and then append the IP address to something like xx.xx.xx.xxx:8080 then I can access the web site. How do I free up port 80 so that the outside world can access my web site? I can find nothing at SuSe, etc. to help with this issue.

I am running SuSe Personal 8.2 Linux on a Dell 500SC server. I have fiddled around with the firewall settings, users groups, etc. but I cannot get this thing to work. I am about ready to go back to my old Mac server running Mac fttp .

Can anyone help? :(
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot access web server - "connection refused" Reply with quote

When you configure Abyss Web Server to use port 80, does it work? Or does report that the web port is already used by another application? Can you browse http://127.0.0.1 from the computer where Abyss is running when it is configured on port 80?
b_tibor
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know how did You try to reach the webserver, but I have the same problem on my Suse Linux 8.2 too, when trying to acces webpages on the local machine(I haven't tried through internet yet).

However I sugest do not give up, it is worth the effort.

I am using abyss on windows nt also and is great and fast.
(it was easyer for me to configure it there).
-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b_tibor,

What is the web port of Abyss Web Server in your case? What is the URL you're using to access it locally?
b_tibor
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The port was set to 8000... After seting it to 80 I did reach Abyss...
YESSS!!
But got "Forbidden".
By reading the topics realised that probably this happens beacuse I installed Abyss as root....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: