Problems with ports

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushman
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Problems with ports Reply with quote

I'm currently using the X1 edition of Abyss Web Server and for some reason, I keep having to change the port number of the host each time the server is started (i.e. between re-boots). As something is blocking port 80 (I dunno if it's my ISP or what), I keep having to alternate between ports 8000 and 8080. My computer uses Windows Vista Home Premium, and it's connected to the Internet via a Gateway 2-Wire HomePortal, which is an integrated modem/wireless router. When I tried using netstat to monitor the two ports (8000 and 8080), it pulled up a process on the FIN_WAIT_1 state using the (at the time) inaccessible port; however, that PID did not exist in Task Manager. Furthermore, Task Manager indicates that there are several instances of the server running at the same time.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium-support
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with ports Reply with quote

Bushman wrote:
Furthermore, Task Manager indicates that there are several instances of the server running at the same time.

How many instances are running at the same time ?
Bushman
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six, last I recall.
aprelium-support
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushman wrote:
Six, last I recall.

You should have 2 at most.

This usually happens when you configure Abyss Web Server to run as a Windows Service (so an instance is launched in the background at boot time) and then try to launch it from your user session (this second instance will be unable to run because the ports are already used by the first instance running in the background). If Abyss Web Server is running as a system service, there is no point to start it again from the user session. It is already there and running. You can access its console by browsing http://127.0.0.1:9999 but you won't see its icon in the system tray. The web sites will also be running fine.

If the problem persists, please send us the result obtained from ActivePort (http://www.protect-me.com/freeware.html) and your abyss.conf file so that we help you solve this issue.
Bushman
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aprelium-support wrote:
Bushman wrote:
Six, last I recall.

You should have 2 at most.

This usually happens when you configure Abyss Web Server to run as a Windows Service (so an instance is launched in the background at boot time) and then try to launch it from your user session (this second instance will be unable to run because the ports are already used by the first instance running in the background). If Abyss Web Server is running as a system service, there is no point to start it again from the user session. It is already there and running. You can access its console by browsing http://127.0.0.1:9999 but you won't see its icon in the system tray. The web sites will also be running fine.

That seems to have fixed it. Thank you very much!
chromebuster
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Just a quick security question regarding open ports Reply with quote

Hello,
I just had a question. Maybe I've read too many articles about web exploits, but I've heard that if someone gets control of the server, they can essentially get control of the whole network, I.E in my case, the family desktop computer, my father's laptop, and worst of all my mother's work laptop which she often uses at home. If I were to open any ports, even port 8080 or 82, how can I ensure that if any threat were to enter my desktop (the computer running abyss), it doesn't go everywhere in the house and infect every computer on the network? If anyone knows how to secure open ports, that'd be great, and I'd love some input.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromebuster,

Operating your own server instead of purchasing commercial hosting by default has inherent risks. While I think your concerns are unlikely, I will vouch for Abyss's security, as I've used the server platform for four years.

Most security issues come from improperly configured networks, or poor coding on the websites, not so much the server software.
-

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Toasty,
I think that with the site builder I use (Mojo Portal), I don't think I'll have any security issues, and if I do have them on the coding side of things, then I'll alert the admin as I do have direct contact with him. But I do have another question. What is the best way to configure a Verizon Fios Rouder for Port forwarding and NAT translation? My friend from NY tells me that the only way it will work is for him to go into my computer remotely and do it himself because it doesn't support the DHCP lease. He pretty much says I'm screwed because of that. My friend from NH on the other hand tells me not to listen to him and that I can work around that. If anyone here has ever had any experience with this kind of stuff, that'd be great. Thanks.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get back to you about the FIOS router. I personally have no experience with FIOS, nor Verizon, so I couldn't help you with those. If DHCP is not available, you may be able to do it via static IPs...I'd talk to your ISP (if it is Verizon) before allowing anybody to remotely connect...Especially with conflicting views, as you have listed.
-

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the main problem is that my friend from NY thinks he's the big macho here, and that he can diss everyone else's successes. For all I know, he could be lying to me about that. He thinks I'm an idiot, so he won't let me do anything too advanced in front of him. Every time I ask him for assistance, he just looks at me through the webcam and says, "Here, let me do that." And I've looked for information on the type of router I have, and I can find none. But I do know that you can use a service like No-IP, right? To get the dynamic IP to appear static? Is that not correct? let me know. ?

Thanks
sandypeter111
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very important to know exactly what to look for when hiring computer service consulting services. The quality of your decision will impact the way in which you do business and the quality of your own services, so it is imperative that you select the best possible professional computer service consulting services.

========================
Project Management Software
chromebuster
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Thankfully he wasn't having me pay him, but due to so many other issues, I basically had to tell that guy to leave me alone because he was causing more problems than it was worth figuring out. For now anyway, I had to resort to comertial hosting due to the fact that verizon residential accounts forbid web servers in the home, and that sucks, but I still use abyss as a teaching tool for myself so that I can learn Microsoft's ASP.net. But in terms of ports, thanks for all of your support, and I know that one day, I'll win and I'll be running my own site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: