Limiting bandwidth used by Abyss - is it possible ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sminc
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Limiting bandwidth used by Abyss - is it possible ? Reply with quote

I have 512/256 ADSL and unfortuantely the performance goes through the floor when the upload pipe is full.

The main culprit is Abyss which (not surprisingly) uses all the available bandwidth when feeding file reqs..

Is there any way of limiting how much bandwidth Abyss can use ? I have checked the docs and there doesnt appear to be anything.

Many thanks
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Limiting bandwidth used by Abyss - is it possible ? Reply with quote

Bandwidth limitation is not yet implemented in Abyss Web Server. It'll be in the next major release.
Meanwhile, you can use another utility to do the job (read http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1524 ).
sminc
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the reply.

Any rough timescales for the next major release ? I had a scan through the forums but couldnt see any time-line posted.

Many thanks
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're hoping to make it available by the end of this year.
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Limiting bandwidth used by Abyss - is it possible ? Reply with quote

sminc wrote:
I have 512/256 ADSL and unfortuantely the performance goes through the floor when the upload pipe is full.

The main culprit is Abyss which (not surprisingly) uses all the available bandwidth when feeding file reqs..

Is there any way of limiting how much bandwidth Abyss can use ? I have checked the docs and there doesnt appear to be anything.

Many thanks

When you say "performance goes through the floor when the upload pipe is full." does this mean your Abyss PC itself is slow down or your whole network performance that need to travel outself of your LAN?

Your Abyss Box get performance hit is normal if resources is low.

Your bandwidth inbound or outbound should trottle up or down.
Eventhough your 256 [25K Up] is full, when any PC from your LAN request to WWW, your 256 Up will cut down to compensate your LAN request. So whom ever from WWW is download from your LAN, it will not get full 256 up from you.

The only time both side really feel bandwidth drop are when both party UL/DL really huge file at the same time so both party will share the bandwidth. Causal internet request and small file should not cause a major drop.
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, but is this bandwith limiting that you are thinking about set to be used on a per-connection basis or on the over all consuption?
sminc
-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bandwidth of the pipe goes through the floor, the perfomance of the PC running abyss server is unaffected.

It is apparantly a 'feature' of ADSL that if your uplink pipe (256kbit in my case) becomes full then your downlink pipe (512kbit) is throttled back to the same bandwidth as your uplink pipe.

I have read this on an ADSL support page somewhere and I have tested it and seen it myself.

So whenever my uploads hit 256kbs my download rate drops from 512kbps to 256kbps for the duration of the upload. It also has the effect that downloads become very lumpy because ack's etc are competing with the abyss server for upload bandwidth.

If I could limit abyss so that it never used more than 200-225kbs for uploads then I would never/rarely see the above behaviour as abyss is pretty well the only software I use that uploads.

If you are interested I will see if I can find the article on the ADSL feature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: