help for a newbie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sether52
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: help for a newbie Reply with quote

Alright. Here goes. I have DSL through Qwest, which means I have a dynamic IP. I've registered the domain sether52.com and am now stuck. I've read forums on noip.com but don't know how to get it to update my dynamic IP to my registrar (??? registerfly.com ? ? ) I don't even know if this is how it works.

As you can see, I'm very lost. I'm just trying to host sether52.com on my computer using abyss. My training is in pre-med, not this kind of stuff :)

Seth
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: help for a newbie Reply with quote

You should ask this question to your domain registrar.
wayne475
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: DID YOU TRY YOUR ROUTER? Reply with quote

Most routers now a days have this feature built right in. When the router sences that there has been an IP change it will send your IP chage out to the DNS servers automatically. It does require that you sign up for one of the supported services but I think going through the router is a good solution and EASY one too.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: help for a newbie Reply with quote

sether52 wrote:
Alright. Here goes. I have DSL through Qwest, which means I have a dynamic IP. I've registered the domain sether52.com and am now stuck. I've read forums on noip.com but don't know how to get it to update my dynamic IP to my registrar (??? registerfly.com ? ? ) I don't even know if this is how it works.

As you can see, I'm very lost. I'm just trying to host sether52.com on my computer using abyss. My training is in pre-med, not this kind of stuff :)

Seth

Very simple..... Find out what the account you assigned from your No-Ip.com? Does your account look like this > seth52.No-IP.com < ? If so, put that "seth52.no-ip.com" into your Domain Name. Your Domain Name will point to your No-Ip.com account and No-Ip.com will point to your lastest IP you are using.
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CapFusion is right in one prespective, yet in another I believe that your ISP might have an IP Adressing scheme 192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255(or in the 192.0.0.0-192.255.255.255 range) which mean that your are in a VPN network or in other words your behind a NAT network. This means that you wouldn't be able to use your server without talking to your ISP directly.
But remeber I am not familiar to Qwest or anyother ISP from the states other than AOL, I deal only with Canadian ISP since I live in canada. The ISP's up here tend to be a little more tallerent of SOHO server users. Since they deal manly in fibre optic disrto. between their offices and deal out static cable connections to Hi-Speed users.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: