Any experience with dynamic IP?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sether52
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Any experience with dynamic IP? Reply with quote

Ok, I've set up an acount with www.dnsexit.com where a program running on my computer updates the IP to dnsexit every 10 minutes or something. Everything is fine and dandy with that.

Now, on the dnsexit site, I must specify an IP for their DNS to forward to. But, how do I tell them to go to port 80 or 8080 which I specified in console configuration in Abyss.

Now, when one goes to www.sether52.com, they see nothing, and I see my setup menu for my router when I go to it. What's the deal with this? I don't understand what's going on.

Any HELP HELP HELP, would be appreciated, thanks,
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Any experience with dynamic IP? Reply with quote

A domain name maps to your IP. But you'll have always to append the port to the URL if it isn't set to the default value 80.
So, if your web port is 80, you can browse your site with http://www.sether52.com. But if it is something other than 80, say 8080 for example, you'll have to use http://www.sether52.com:8080 .
sether52
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

I have my port set to 80, what happens when you browse to www.sether52.com? All I get is my set up screen for my dsl router.....

Seth
badai
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ok Reply with quote

can you set port mapping in your router? check your ip address that was connected to the router and map port 80 in your router to that ip.

sether52 wrote:
I have my port set to 80, what happens when you browse to www.sether52.com? All I get is my set up screen for my dsl router.....

Seth
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ok Reply with quote

sether52 wrote:

Seth

Your router is not forwarding PORT 80 to your LAN IP of your Abyss.
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your site but you might consider putting an index.html page in their right now for some secuirity.
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe he ditched us over Apache !

I still think abyss server is easier , it will always be. :D
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't look like an apache setup but I could be wrong since there are so many version that are plateform spacific. And if you are looking at my site and see the apache setup screen it has to be do to the fact that abyss is not responding when I had it setup last week so I used the next readily avaliable thing for my slack9 box.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: