Web-Server behind network

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aakar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Web-Server behind network Reply with quote

Hi Im running my web-server behind the network, I was wondering if its possible for people inside the network to connect to the webpage through a static ip? And not using the internal IP or Hostname of the webserver? I ask this because it brings up an important point when configuring PHP or Perl scripts and coudl lead to disaster, ie images or pages all over the place... Help would be appreciated.
gengar56
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOT using the internal IP? I would suggest that. Why is it not static (doesn't that mean always the same?)

Does it have to be behind a network? You could use your web IP (if static)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What its not allowing me to do is connect with say my outside IP address if im behind the network. So if my IP is 24.* to the world and I try using that to connect to my webserver from behind the network it wont let me, instead I have to use the 192* private ip of the webserver to connect to it. But outside the network the 24* ip works fine, any chance to by pass that and actually allow the people behind the network to connect to the site using 24*?
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Web-Server behind network Reply with quote

Aakar wrote:
What its not allowing me to do is connect with say my outside IP address if im behind the network. So if my IP is 24.* to the world and I try using that to connect to my webserver from behind the network it wont let me, instead I have to use the 192* private ip of the webserver to connect to it. But outside the network the 24* ip works fine, any chance to by pass that and actually allow the people behind the network to connect to the site using 24*?

What you describe is the case when you operate behind a router which does NAT (network address translation). You should refer to the router's documentation to see if what you want to do is allowed.
aakar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a hub not a router...
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aakar wrote:
I'm using a hub not a router...

You may be using an intelligent hub that perform NAT (as some routers do). The best is to refer to its documentation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: