Still unable to see server...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin9
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Still unable to see server... Reply with quote

Ok... I've been messing on and off with Abyss since March... I have not been able to gain access to the server from the outside world, ever... with my static public ip... usually 162.40.XXX.XXX.... I have tried port 80, 8080, 1009...

I'm using the following...

SpeedStream 5660 Modem
Linksys Network Everywhere 4 port Router
My setup is as follows Internet
Modem
Router
pc1 pc2 pc3 pc4(server)

I can get my ip and type it in and all I get is the Modem Config...

In the Modem I have tried using NAPT for an HTTP port forwarding to the computer... 192.168.1.151 and even to the router 192.168.1.1

In the router I have tried a millions different combos... basicly port forward TCP 80 to 192.168.1.151

I have tried the Linksys Tut and it didn't work...

The Router is in Gateway Mode, and the modem is actually in what is called Router mode... the only other option is changing to Bridge mode... which I have never done...

I earlier change the ports to 8080 and when I tried the ip including :8080.. I received the Cannot Find Server Error... besides that... when on port 80... I get the modem main interface... no firewalls running when I'm doing this to my knowledge.... I'm using Alltel.net DSL.

Any ideas....
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did not indicate if Abyss is working by either on localhost or from another PC (LAN).

Normally your DSL modem shouldn't be accessible by end-user except your ISP. Whatever you have change in there, you should change it back to it original setting.

Next, find out what LAN IP of where Abyss is sitting on and what PORT it is listen to on your LAN? As soon you find out the LAN IP and PORT, then enter it in your Router Linksys under Advance - Port Forwarding. Enter the last IP digit and the PORT. Set TCP and UDP.

Then goto Aprellium and detect what your current IP you are on.

That should be it.
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

already tried all of that....

my server is running on a local machine in my network... if i go to another machine and type my IP address the real one... I get the modem setup page... (logins me in automaticly because it remembers my login)

I can reach it from any machine by typing the local addy of that computer 192.168.1.151... but the public one gives me the modem...

see, my modem has two operation modes... Router and Bridge...

it's currently in Router... there aren't many 5660 routers around mainly because Alltel.net was giving them out and then they notice there was a cheaper, easier to use SpeedStream 5200 modem they could be giving out... so there's few people in my town with a 5660... and I had to setup the modem for it to work... the installation guy had no clue...

I guess I can whip out my Efficient Networks Speedstream Modem 5660 CD-ROM Setup instructions and config the modem as a bridge....
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin9 wrote:
already tried all of that....

my server is running on a local machine in my network... if i go to another machine and type my IP address the real one... I get the modem setup page... (logins me in automaticly because it remembers my login)

I can reach it from any machine by typing the local addy of that computer 192.168.1.151... but the public one gives me the modem...

see, my modem has two operation modes... Router and Bridge...

it's currently in Router... there aren't many 5660 routers around mainly because Alltel.net was giving them out and then they notice there was a cheaper, easier to use SpeedStream 5200 modem they could be giving out... so there's few people in my town with a 5660... and I had to setup the modem for it to work... the installation guy had no clue...

I guess I can whip out my Efficient Networks Speedstream Modem 5660 CD-ROM Setup instructions and config the modem as a bridge....

It sound like your Speedstream is listen to request and is not passing thrugh your LAN where your Abyss is suppose to be getting instead.

If the setting or configuration of speedstream have altered then I have no idea how to set it back unless you backup all that setting before hand. Your speedstream should not be listen to port 80 either since you indicate you just enter your public IP.

This is one major reason why ISP do not provide the information for end-user to gain access.
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea.... that's what sucks about this... Alltel.net makes you config your own hardware so for some reason my dad when setting up our network with our first router decided to use router mode... we go through routers and modems like candy around here...
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin9 wrote:
Yea.... that's what sucks about this... Alltel.net makes you config your own hardware so for some reason my dad when setting up our network with our first router decided to use router mode... we go through routers and modems like candy around here...

Interesting. The only hardware end-user should be playing with is the Router they brought off the shelf but not the modem that ISP provide. Are there anyway you can get those setting or the original setting they have? This might resolve two problem in one shot.

My ISP will charge end-user to reset the setting since they have to send someone out to change back the setting. Hope your dad wrote the setting / configuration before messing around with it.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, they give you a cd-rom that has instructions for setting up the modem... but they are really crappy instructions.... but see... the original settings are still on the modem... it's always been in router mode... only thing set in the modem right now is to forward port 80 to my server machine.... (to lazy to take it out now) but I'll look into setting into bridge mode... I was told one day by a tech guy on the phone there might be some charges for doing some stuff at the actually dsl station concerning my swapping the modem from one mode to another... it's really just a screwed up deal... maybe it will get hit by ligthing..... the power plug already did...
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin9 wrote:
yea, they give you a cd-rom that has instructions for setting up the modem... but they are really crappy instructions.... but see... the original settings are still on the modem... it's always been in router mode... only thing set in the modem right now is to forward port 80 to my server machine.... (to lazy to take it out now) but I'll look into setting into bridge mode... I was told one day by a tech guy on the phone there might be some charges for doing some stuff at the actually dsl station concerning my swapping the modem from one mode to another... it's really just a screwed up deal... maybe it will get hit by ligthing..... the power plug already did...

All man, than I do not know exactly what is up with your modem. It should not pickup on PORT 80 for any request that I am unware off, especially from public IP. Only one port should be open for ISP to gain access and take control. Unless they provide the wrong public IP that should not have been provide to you. Some ISP will have two or more IP to your modem and only one will be for you to use.

By any chance, do you have another modem you can try?
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see... my modem is also kinda like a router.... it just only has one port to hook into so I have to use a router... wierd crap ain't it? nope... only modem I have is this one... if I had another I would have gotten rid of this long time ago... but when you sign a contact with alltel for 2 years.. you get free equipment and replacement if it goes bad...
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin9 wrote:
see... my modem is also kinda like a router.... it just only has one port to hook into so I have to use a router... wierd crap ain't it? nope... only modem I have is this one... if I had another I would have gotten rid of this long time ago... but when you sign a contact with alltel for 2 years.. you get free equipment and replacement if it goes bad...

Welp, mine is Speedstream 5861 with 4 port and 1 WAN port. You can hook up upto 4 router to it. It free aslong I keep this account with my ISP. No contract and is pay by month as you go. It is a bit cheaper if sign a contract for 18month. Both type account will now have $99USD for setup fee. Before, it was waive.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea... it's either a two or five year contact here because we live in such a small town... the two year and up you get free equip and installation and only one provider... alltel.net

or you can use surthsouth dialup which was sold to volaris which was sold to earthlink and somewhere along that line your email was sold to spammers...
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin9 wrote:
Yea... it's either a two or five year contact here because we live in such a small town... the two year and up you get free equip and installation and only one provider... alltel.net

or you can use surthsouth dialup which was sold to volaris which was sold to earthlink and somewhere along that line your email was sold to spammers...

Wow, I guess being in a small town is disadvantage and SOL in this case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: