Abyss Web Server 1.1 Beta 3 available for testing
October 7, 2002
Aprelium Technologies is pleased to announce the release of the third beta version of Abyss Web Server 1.1.
In addition to the features available in the previous test version, this new beta introduces the following changes:
- Support for running legacy 16 bit DOS applications as CGI scripts (on the Windows version only.) This feature should be used with care on Windows 95, 98 or Me as these systems enter in a fragile and unstable state when DOS applications crash or are killed;
- New CGI environment variable: SCRIPT_FILENAME;
- Minor bug fixes;
- Updated documentation.
- Abyss Web Server 1.1 Beta 3 for Windows (134 Kb)
- Abyss Web Server 1.1 Beta 3 for Linux (108 Kb) (To install it, use the command tar xzfm abws11b3.tgz)
Full book in A4 format. Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader for on screen reading or high quality printing.
- Abyss Web Server 1.1 for Windows User's Guide (PDF, 613 KB)
- Abyss Web Server 1.1 for Linux User's Guide (PDF, 613 KB)
Upgrading the Windows version:
To upgrade from the previous version, download Abyss Web Server 1.1 Beta 3 for Windows and run the installer. It will detect the presence of an older version and will ask you to uninstall it. Once the old version removed, the installer will setup the new version.
CAUTION: Be careful and read all the on-screen dialog boxes. In fact, the uninstaller will ask you if you want to remove Abyss Web Server's setup directory. You must answer NO to keep your web site and your configuration file.
Upgrading the Linux version:
Download Abyss Web Server 1.1 Beta 3 for Linux, go to the directory where Abyss Web Server is installed and execute the following commands (which purpose is replacing the old application files with newer ones):
mv htdocs/index.html htdocs/index.html.bak
tar xfzm abws11b3.tgz
mv htdocs/index.html.bak htdocs/index.html
If errors are reported when executing the first and the last command, ignore them. Obviously, they occurred because you have no index.html file in the htdocs directory.
All your feedback about this release should be directed to the 1.1 Beta section in our Forum and/or to