No one but me can see my server!?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seeker

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: No one but me can see my server!? Reply with quote

I've got a static IP addrss assigned by my ISP (Verizon DSL). I have accepted all the default settings (ie: Port 80, etc...).
When I type http://localhost or http://127.0.0.1/ I can see my own index page....obviously.
However, when anyone else tries to reach my server at: http://***.***.**.** (my static IP address), they will get the 'page cannot be displayed error'.
I have no firewall running while attempting any of this. I have no proxy either.
I DO see the following when I go to IP Configuration however:

Host Name: ***.bellatlantic.net
DNS Servers: ***.***.*.*
Node Type: broadcast
NetBIOS Resolution uses DNS: yes (checked)
Adapter Address: ******************
IP Address: ***.***.**.** (this is correct)
Subnet Mask: ***.***.**.** (different from my IP)
Default Gateway: ***.***.**.* (different from my IP)

The DNS Servers IP address is different from my IP address. Is there something in my Network settings that I should change? I'm afraid that changing anything there would stop me from connecting to the WWW. Is there another way I should be doing this?

I've already tried calling the ISP and asking questions but they merely say their Tech Support helps with connection problems only and does not support anything concerning Person Web Servers.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: No one but me can see my server!? Reply with quote

seeker wrote:

I've already tried calling the ISP and asking questions but they merely say their Tech Support helps with connection problems only and does not support anything concerning Person Web Servers.

Nothing seems to be wrong with your settings. So we recommand checking if your static IP is a real IP and not coming from a NAT device (Network Adress Translator).
So ask your ISP about your real IP address. There is no need to tell them about the web server since this issue is related to your network configuration.
Seeker

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: No one but me can see my server!? Reply with quote

[quote] So we recommand checking if your static IP is a real IP and not coming from a NAT device (Network Adress Translator).
So ask your ISP about your real IP address. There is no need to tell them about the web server since this issue is related to your network configuration.[/quote]

Good suggestion! And, I was leaning towards some sort ot problem like that, but wasn't sure what exactly. Thanks!

But, then again, the plot thickens! Since I have DSL, I've kept my old dial-up account with Prodigy as a back-up. So, on the same computer...... I shutdown the firewall and connected to Prodigy. I ascertained my IP address and tried to access my server via another computer with a seperate connection. Even STILL, I can't seem to have any outside source access my server?? So perhaps it IS something in my own Networking settings? I have a 3Com NIC card installed and a DSL modem. My computer isn't hooked to a router nor do I use any type of connection sharing.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: No one but me can see my server!? Reply with quote

Seeker wrote:

But, then again, the plot thickens! Since I have DSL, I've kept my old dial-up account with Prodigy as a back-up. So, on the same computer...... I shutdown the firewall and connected to Prodigy. I ascertained my IP address and tried to access my server via another computer with a seperate connection. Even STILL, I can't seem to have any outside source access my server?? So perhaps it IS something in my own Networking settings? I have a 3Com NIC card installed and a DSL modem. My computer isn't hooked to a router nor do I use any type of connection sharing.

We are really sorry for not being able to give your a full solution. The only thing we can be sure of is that since Abyss Web Server is able to show you pages locally, it must be able to do so even on the other side of the planet provided that your network is correctly acting.
What we mean by correctly acting is that there is no filtering of traffic on the web port (by default 80) and that you IP address is the correct one.
Check if you have any kind of firewall (at your level or at the ISP level, some ISPs are known to simply discard web traffic from their customers). To test the latter hypothesis, change the web port to another value (for example 8888) and retry.
We recommend also installing another server, for example an FTP server and check if the same problem happens (we are almost sure that this will be the case). If so, that means that you must see deeply how your network is set (at your level and at the level of your ISP).
Seeker

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: No one but me can see my server!? Reply with quote

aprelium wrote:

We are really sorry for not being able to give your a full solution.

Hey, I appreciate that you actually answer questions here! So many places DON'T! :)

Anyhow.......

I highly doubt that my ISP is filtering or firewalling....unless of course BOTH Prodigy and BellAtlantic are doing it. I suppose that is possible? This also makes me wonder about my Network settings since it won't work on either ISP....one (the DSL) using Networking and the other (Prodigy) simply dial-up networking. Since the dial-up doesn't use those Network settings, you'd think it would work using it.

I have installed personal FTP (various ones) clients in the past...as well as Apache webserver and none of them ever work. I've also tried changing ports to no avail. I DO use a P2P file-sharing app (Audiogalaxy Satellite) and I experience no problems with it on DSL or Dial-Up.

Are there any tests I can use like doing a Netstat?

My next step is to attempt doing this on another box just to test things.
POMP
-

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a shot in the dark, but if you are using Windows XP, its Internet Connection Firewall may be enabled, which would block incoming web traffic.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Seeker

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: No one but me can see my server!? Reply with quote

POMP wrote:
This is a shot in the dark, but if you are using Windows XP, its Internet Connection Firewall may be enabled, which would block incoming web traffic.

Thanks for the thought but no, I'm running WinME with Zone Alarm Pro as my firewall and no type of ICS or Networking.

I've shut-down Zone Alarm completely trying to find the problem.

But....here's some more weird news in my testing I've come across:

I decided to install the Abyss WS on my laptop as a test. It too has Zone Alarm Pro and is set-up to run on my same DSL and Prodigy dial-up connections.

It works PERFECTLY on the laptop!!!

Thus, I'm now convinced that there is some setting on my other two machines that is blocking it....I just have to figure out WHERE!??
POMP
-

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very strange. It still sounds like a firewall problem to me. Remember, even if Zone Alarm isn't running, it is still enforcing Internet access rules. I have had problems with ZA Pro in the past, I suggest uninstalling it temporarily, then see if your site is public.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Seeker

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: RE: No one can see my webserver but me Reply with quote

POMP wrote:
That is very strange. It still sounds like a firewall problem to me. Remember, even if Zone Alarm isn't running, it is still enforcing Internet access rules. I have had problems with ZA Pro in the past, I suggest uninstalling it temporarily, then see if your site is public.

That would be true except that I'm very sure it's conpletely shut-down. When I do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete, it's not listed at all. Plus, on the laptop where my server IS working, I can leave Zone Alarm running....only giving the webserver access and server privaledges.

I'll just have to compare every single setting between the two machines and find the one that is different I guess?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: RE: No one can see my webserver but me Reply with quote

OK...after comparing every single setting between three computers (only one which the webserver will work on). I have found the one thing that is different between them.

Both of the computers that will not allow the webserver to work have "Firewire" (1394) capabilities. In other words....the 1394 networking configuration seems to interfere with the webserver's ability to be accessed.

On one machine, I have a 80 Gig hardrive attahed to the firewire port while on the other, nothing is attached but the port is present. The laptop that allows the webserver to work doesn't support 1394 firewire so it works perfectly.

I wonder if Aprelium is aware of this conflict and/or if there is any work-around for it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: