Abyss on a network

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mythix
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:32 pm    Post subject: Abyss on a network Reply with quote

Hi,

I want to use abyss on a large school network. I think I remember somthing about abyss only being for development purposes? hmm mabe I'm completely wrong :?. Will abyss cope without any probs on this large network? (possibly over 200 connections @ anyone time).

Also I'm planning on using PHP. But abyss only supports this as a CGI program. I know that apache can now integrate PHP as a module making the processing times much faster. Will running PHP as CGI program slow the service down?

Thanks
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Abyss on a network Reply with quote

mythix wrote:

I want to use abyss on a large school network. I think I remember somthing about abyss only being for development purposes? hmm mabe I'm completely wrong :?.

We never said that we made Abyss Web Server for developement purposes only. It is a full featured web server and its real place is on a network or on the internet. Many users are already hosting their internet web sites (even .com web sites) with Abyss Web Server.

mythix wrote:

Will abyss cope without any probs on this large network? (possibly over 200 connections @ anyone time).

Yes, it will do the job and it will do it well. To be convinced, give it a try. But according to our internal tests, Abyss Web Server is as fast (if not better) as Apache and IIS on the same plateform.

mythix wrote:

Also I'm planning on using PHP. But abyss only supports this as a CGI program. I know that apache can now integrate PHP as a module making the processing times much faster. Will running PHP as CGI program slow the service down?

Running as a module delivers fast responses. But to be honest, this doesn't matter on medium sized web sites. And it doesn't really give too much difference with Abyss Web Server for one main reason: Abyss Web Server is so small and so resource conservative that the little overhead resulting from running PHP as CGI is no more noticeable.

Of course, the speed of the web server depends on the machine you use and on the operating system you have. For better performance, we recommend using Abyss Web Server with Windows NT/2000/XP. In fact, these systems have better TCP/IP implementations and run programs faster than 95/96/ME.

To deliver maximum performance, we recommend setting "Resolve interpreter using the Windows Registry" and "Resolve interpreter using the script's #! line" to no so that the server will rely only on the file extension to know what is the CGI interpreter to run. If you don't use SSI, diable it also.

Any feedback about your experience is welcome :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To deliver maximum performance, we recommend setting "Resolve interpreter using the Windows Registry" and "Resolve interpreter using the script's #! line" to no so that the server will rely only on the file extension to know what is the CGI interpreter to run. If you don't use SSI, diable it also.

The what? the scripts what line? hmmm, how?

Ah SSI, Server Side Includes, what are server side includes? i've never managed to work that out :cry:.

Thanks
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Quote:

The what? the scripts what line? hmmm, how?

These two options are in CGI parameters.

Anonymous wrote:

Ah SSI, Server Side Includes, what are server side includes? i've never managed to work that out :cry:.

Ah, SSI on Abyss Web Server are conforming to standards. So any tutorial on SSI available on the internet will help you starting with them. A complete reference of SSI is also available in Abyss Web Server's documentation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: