Western Michigan University

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sajc69
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Western Michigan University Reply with quote

Here's how the system is set up. Western has a connection to the internet. This connection is set up to be shared over a private network intranet, assumably through a router. Each residence hall floor has a router that connects to the intranet and assigns private ips to each user on the floor. I personally did not want to pay to have 2 IPs given to me, so i bought a router to share a single IP. I can configure my router but i can't touch the floor router's configuration, nor the campus router. What should I do to find out which ports i can use for incomming connections through all of the routing?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's doubtful there are going to be any open ports that you can use for incoming connections if the network is set up in this manner - the system administrators would have to open a port for you on one of the internet routers and forward traffic from it to your machine. Not going to happen...
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: