I cannot access my website from anywhere other than my comp.

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: I cannot access my website from anywhere other than my comp. Reply with quote

I downloaded your software, ran it, set up all connections as the manual instructed, and put a website up. Unfortunately, upon trying to connect to it from any other computer, I recieved an error message. Connecting to the console is no problem, so it's probably an issue with my server comp, but I am at my wits end trying to figure out a solution to this. 8O

After reading through the forums, I decided to post this, so if ANYONE has any suggestions for me, Fire away.

For the record, I am running Windows XP on a Gateway 740XL and am connected via a static IP address (**.**.**.***) Through a SURFboard Cable Modem.

I figure that there is something on my computer that is rejecting the access attempts from other computers, so any help in determining what that could be, and how to open the port would be peachy.
TheLinker
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I cannot access my website from anywhere other than my c Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I downloaded your software, ran it, set up all connections as the manual instructed, and put a website up. Unfortunately, upon trying to connect to it from any other computer, I recieved an error message. Connecting to the console is no problem, so it's probably an issue with my server comp, but I am at my wits end trying to figure out a solution to this. 8O

After reading through the forums, I decided to post this, so if ANYONE has any suggestions for me, Fire away.

For the record, I am running Windows XP on a Gateway 740XL and am connected via a static IP address (**.**.**.***) Through a SURFboard Cable Modem.

I figure that there is something on my computer that is rejecting the access attempts from other computers, so any help in determining what that could be, and how to open the port would be peachy.

What error message ??

There can be several things blocking your access to your webserver... Check your firewall settings, if enabled... also check your modem if any filtering is enabled by you ISP...

You have access to the webserver from your computer ??
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I can see everything fine on the computer thats running the server, just not from anywhere else. I know that my IP Address is correct so thats not it :?
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Yup, I can see everything fine on the computer thats running the server, just not from anywhere else. I know that my IP Address is correct so thats not it :?

Please check if there is a firewall between your computer and the server. There is no reason why it won't work except some issues related to your network (and widely discussed in other posts of this forum).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(and widely discussed in other posts of this forum).

Someone's in a bad mood :?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the problem was that something on my server computer was blocking port 80 from being accessed by other computers. I gave up on unblocking it and switched the server port to 1000, it works great now.

Thanx for the help, I really appreciated the speedy responses and the port problem notwithstanding, the server runs like a dream.

Peace out Aprelium :)
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Quote:
(and widely discussed in other posts of this forum).

Someone's in a bad mood :?

Happy to hear that it works. No one was in a bad mood. It was just an extra information to help you track the problem (which is widely discussed in other posts :D ).

Thank you for using Abyss Web Server.
James

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you have a static ip address? Most cable isps don't give that.
ooganf
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:06 am    Post subject: I have XP and hit the same thing Reply with quote

I have XP also and ran into the same thing. There was a firewall setting established that I had to remove through network settings...or somewhere...not sure, I just kludged through it. I am behind a router anyhow, so I did not need it. :P
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:19 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Windows XP has a built in firewall, you must disable it. It has interfered with stuff for me before, like AIM file transfers. I am guessing it blocks port 80 in particular.
Banginblaz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also on xp, and have the same problem, kinda.

I cannot acess it from anywhere but on localhost, my firewall is off, have a dynamic IP, but it only changes when you turn off your modem :) (battery backup anyone?)

Anyway, from what I see it is the server not recognizing my IP, I found no place in the config to specify one, and the console is only reporting on 127.0.0.1 in the WEB SERVER local url.

Is there anyway to tell it the ip?
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banginblaz wrote:
I am also on xp, and have the same problem, kinda.

I cannot acess it from anywhere but on localhost, my firewall is off, have a dynamic IP, but it only changes when you turn off your modem :) (battery backup anyone?)

Anyway, from what I see it is the server not recognizing my IP, I found no place in the config to specify one, and the console is only reporting on 127.0.0.1 in the WEB SERVER local url.

Is there anyway to tell it the ip?

The server doesn't need to know your IP to work. But you need to know the IP to access to the server.
Please read other posts in this forum about that topic. You will find useful information about how to deal with dynamic IPs and how to make your web server available using a DNS name.
Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 5:30 pm    Post subject: same Reply with quote

Thanks! I had the same problem...changed to port1000 and now works great. :lol:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: